Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is slacker radio supoosed to come with the model Y? picked up the car today and i thought i saw a pre-login but when i clicked it, it didnt work.

I went back to the car and its missing?

anyone know how slacker works with the model y? Thanks

slacker, owned by livexlive, may not be available to us much longer.
had been giving some thought to upgrading the slacker service to the car, upgrading from the $4.00 service tesla provides to the $10.00 so called premium service. but searches on line came up with this alarming, in-depth and only a week old, article in Billboard - LiveXLive Wants to Pivot Conversation to Pay-Per-View and Podcasts
it would be nice if slacker (livexlive) went away it was replaced by a streaming version of siriusxm, now that they have a serious streaming ability.
became seriously addicted to siriusxm in a previous car.

I would be very happy to see a native Tesla SXM "app" that accessed via streaming.
In your "SXM" reference are you referring to Sirius XM satellite radio? I have it in my 2019 Honda Accord Touring Hybrid and it makes travelling to out of the way places that don't have cell coverage much more enjoyable. I make up a USB Thumb drive for my songs but sometimes I'd like to hear current Jazz and their Watercolors channel is just my speed. I miss it in my new Tesla.

Reactions: mycroftxxx
I'm with you - I miss my Sirius XM satellite radio. I've ordered a car compatible one from Sirius but I have no idea if it will work. Has anyone already tried this?
The best way, unless/until Tesla makes a native app for subscribers of Sirius/XM, is to stream from the phone app via Bluetooth.

Any in-car XM receiver will require an external antenna as well as a wireless (either BT or FM broadcast) kludge that would not allow any control of XM from the Tesla screen anyway.

there are various videos and how-to's on this site demonstrating internal antennas and radios in the center storage spaces, controlled by alexa. using the phone gives you large data usage, which i hear from several is expensive as all get out.
I don't know too many people that don't have unlimited data plans, but sure, if that's the case, then a native Tesla app would be even more important.

The best way, unless/until Tesla makes a native app for subscribers of Sirius/XM, is to stream from the phone app via Bluetooth.

Any in-car XM receiver will require an external antenna as well as a wireless (either BT or FM broadcast) kludge that would not allow any control of XM from the Tesla screen anyway.
If by "external" you mean not a part of the car, you're correct, but if you mean "outside of the car" I don't believe you are. You should be able to get an excellent SXM signal through the windshield or tailgate window.

If by "external" you mean not a part of the car, you're correct, but if you mean "outside of the car" I don't believe you are. You should be able to get an excellent SXM signal through the windshield or tailgate window.
By "external," I mean not built in to the car. The windshield has some kind of metallic shielding. (Try a Fastpass on a random part of the windshield, for example; you need to use a very specific area that does not have the shielding.) No idea about the tailgate window's permeability to SXM broadcast frequency.

In any case, as much as I love SXM, when I sold my MS I said goodbye to the satellite reception, leaving only the app. I'm not going to conduct surgery on my M3 or MY just to get XM, when there is a simple way for Tesla to provide access for account holders by simply building an app. (Maybe replace Slacker?)

Last edited:
Have used SXM since 2006, I would miss it dearly, but I have the All Access Package which includes the Phone app, so I will use my iPhone and BT stream all my favorite SXM channels and on-line personalities to my new MY. But a built in option would be better.