Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker resume on entrance inconsistancy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my Model S 75D year and a half ago, and after last year's update (sometime in January, I think), Slacker stopped resuming the song that was playing when I left the car, and instead started playing it from the beginning. I assumed that was intentional change and learned to live with it, though I still really don't like this behavior. Up until last week, I though that was how Slacker worked in all Teslas. Last week I was schedule to pick up Model 3 for my wife, and to make long story short, I wasn't able to pick it up on the day scheduled. Instead Tesla provided me with Model S P85D (probably 2015, or very end of 2014 due to autopilot presence) while they sorted out issues with Model 3. Loaner was resuming Slacker music just fine, it had latest updates installed, but didn't behave the same way my car does. Then I got Model 3 two days ago, and again, it also resumes music just fine, instead of restarting it.
So now I'm confused. What is the correct behavior, and is there any way to change it in my Model S 75D?

I bought my Model S 75D year and a half ago, and after last year's update (sometime in January, I think), Slacker stopped resuming the song that was playing when I left the car, and instead started playing it from the beginning. I assumed that was intentional change and learned to live with it, though I still really don't like this behavior. Up until last week, I though that was how Slacker worked in all Teslas. Last week I was schedule to pick up Model 3 for my wife, and to make long story short, I wasn't able to pick it up on the day scheduled. Instead Tesla provided me with Model S P85D (probably 2015, or very end of 2014 due to autopilot presence) while they sorted out issues with Model 3. Loaner was resuming Slacker music just fine, it had latest updates installed, but didn't behave the same way my car does. Then I got Model 3 two days ago, and again, it also resumes music just fine, instead of restarting it.
So now I'm confused. What is the correct behavior, and is there any way to change it in my Model S 75D?
@verygreen discovered that songs resuming from their last playing position if a feature of premium audio. Does your system have premium audio?

Also, I have noted that if pause audio during drive #1and do not resume it on drive #2 (which happens often if I am just moving the car but don't want to resume my music yet), the playing position will be lost on drive #3.

That would explain it. No I do not have premium audio. But both the loaner and Model 3 do. Why would purely software feature require premium audio? That doesn't make any sense. Especially considering that it used to work like that when I bought my Model S, and only stopped after an OTA update.

FYI that this problem with Media Player not always resuming at the last playing position is not unique to Slacker... Same issue has been reported in the past for other sources, including by some owners like myself who use USB media playback most of the time (both owners with and without premium audio, but we've also found the actual type of encoded file may influence if the "not remembering where MP left off" problem happens or not). I listen mostly to my own MP3 VBS music where this bug is more of just an occasional annoyance with my premium audio system, but think about how awful this long-standing firmware bug is for owners that try to listen to USB-based audiobooks or podcasts where the place they were in a long file is not remembered -- pretty untenable.) ;(

That would explain it. No I do not have premium audio. But both the loaner and Model 3 do. Why would purely software feature require premium audio? That doesn't make any sense. Especially considering that it used to work like that when I bought my Model S, and only stopped after an OTA update.
I hate that songs restart in my non-premium audio X, and I would have gladly paid for premium audio if this feature had been posted on the order page. My ears are shot from being in bands, so I generally don't pay for extra speakers, and I abhor XM radio. However, the incessant restart is a feature that radically decreases my use of the in-car audio streaming.