TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Slacker search a major joke

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by artsci, Aug 12, 2013.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

My experience with the Slacker search feature has been a disaster. It seems that it's totally set up to search for commercially popular music, which I almost never listen to. Forget classical music -- whoever programmed that part of the search engine appear to be completely ignorant. For example, if I do a search for a Beethoven string quartet I get a very long list of everything but, most of it total crap.

So I won't be using Slacker.

2. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I've only had slacker fail me once, and I'm sure that artist doesn't allow their music to be streamed.

Have you thrown in the name of an orchestra who has released an album with that song on it?

3. lorih

lorih Member

Oh, so sorry to hear that slacker isn't working for you. I don't listen to classical myself, but my mom was in a Model S test drive recently, and she got so excited by everything else about the car, that she forgot to try out the voice command for Slacker. She wanted to request "Caruso" by Pavarotti. Does that work for you? Just curious if it works, I can let me mom know......random thought...nothing too important.

4. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Slacker is seriously weak. Not only do they pretty much ignore classical but they also are completely clueless about what artists/songs match each other. It seems like decade released is the extent of their algorithm. Their categories are pretty thin. Also, their radio station rotation list is usually pretty short - I get repeats within a couple of hours. Rhapsody, Pandora and others do a much better job.

5. donv

donv Member

Slacker's classical selection is extremely weak. As someone on another forum put it, "it looks like they went down to Walgreens and picked up whatever classical CDs were there in the bargain bin that day. And never went back."

However, you can use TuneIn to get some great classical stations, including KUSC (from Los Angeles), and our own All Classical from Portland (er, Lake Jeanclia) among others. You can't search for individual pieces, but at least you don't have to pay for XM just to get a decent classical selection.

Pandora is much better on classical, although even it isn't that great.

Some of the album art choices for classical music are hilarious, though! So there's that...

6. AC1K

AC1K Member

#6 AC1K, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    while i don't doubt your select of music was not available, its strange we share a polar opposite view, i've searched slacker for very obscure music as well as the people that sat in my car, it found 100% of the songs it was asked too, my friend from japan even stopped by and searched for some J-Pop song and it brought it up (i couldn't even pronounce the name).

try searching on the main website, if it has it there, it should be available to the car.

2013-08-13 08_25_30-Slacker Radio.png

their website is coded like crap , dont register, just search and see if it has it.

7. Bonlaw

Bonlaw Member

Is there a way I can go straight to search? Right now I just say "Beatles" and change it from there. I have a South African friend with a Tesla. Because of his accent, the only name that is recognized is "Billy Joel".

8. Duckjybe

Duckjybe Member

I search for Dire Straits, select them, it plays a Dire Straits radio station with no Dire Straits and doesn't tell me they have no Dire Straits songs. Lame.

9. lorih

lorih Member

Thanks for the info AC1K

10. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

They have a ton of Dire Straits songs. Try asking for [song name] by Dire Straits.
    When I do that it sticks pretty tightly to Dire Straits songs. I suspect if you just give it a name it searches song titles first.

As for Slacker, it works well for me.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Wow, not my experience at all. I've been able to find some very obscure stuff with it. I don't find that the "channels" that it builds off of your initial search are particularly great, but you can find just about any artist or song. I admit I haven't tried classical, but everything from some obscure German stuff to broadway, rock and country come right up.

12. Duckjybe

Duckjybe Member

Hmmm. I tried it on my home computer and it does tell me for any of the Dire Straits songs that they are not licensed to play. This must be a Canadian licensing problem. Also, I use my own account as opposed to the Tesla account so I can set up play lists and restrict profanity as my kids are always the ones listening.

13. DCinDC

DCinDC Member

I'm in the same boat as efusco. I've thrown a ton of stuff at it, including random kids' songs that my daughter loves and it's typically responded positively. I will also agree that the algorithm for "what comes next" could probably be improved (Pandora's better there in my opinion), but I just toss another command at it if I don't like the station that it creates.

14. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Yes. In the Media app, go to the Browse tab. Select Internet > Slacker >, and right at the top there's an option to perform a search directly without using voice control first.

15. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Duck,

I'm in Canada as well and I've played Dire Straits songs no problem. I'm wondering why your Slacker isn't seeing them...

16. Duckjybe

Duckjybe Member

I tried the tesla slacker account that it logs into automatically (as opposed to my own purchased account) and now I get Dire Straits! Hmmmm. I think I know what's happening. Enough said.

17. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Artsci, if your musical target is quite small, you might do better to drag songs from CDs to a memory stick and plug it into the USB connector. The audio quality will likely be superior to anything you've heard on Slacker.

18. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Slacker search has been hit or miss for me. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it can't find even very popular songs.
    On the way back from Legoland hotel we wanted to hear "Dancing Queen" (if you've been to the hotel you'll know why), but search couldn't find it, even typing it in with and without the "by ABBA". A few days later it did find it.

Also I've never been able to bring up "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel K (the big Hawaiian guy) even though other songs from the same album were ok.

Agree that the classical selection is weak. They tend to pull from "greatest hits" albums, so the artist isn't the composer or even the performer, it's the name of the compilation. Also wish the display would scroll long names.

19. wormhole

wormhole Banned

Interesting, I called up "Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky" and it pulled up with no problems at all. That said I find the voice search to work about 60-70% of the time.

20. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

Not impressed with Slacker at all. I think their library is very thin, and their algorithm is terrible. I do have pretty good luck with the "name your song" feature, but that's not really worth paying for the service as a whole. I also think XM's music selection has gone down hill. I actually considered cancelling XM for the first time in about 10 years. Pandora is just better. If they could give me unlimited skips, I'd pay $15 a month for it.