Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Songs restarting - Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is an even worse bug with Slacker; if your signal is weak/slow and the song progress bar catches the buffer bar, it will skip to the next song rather than pausing the current one until it finishes buffering. Really annoying since a) it seems to do it mostly on songs I'm really into and b) my car drops down to 3G or worse much more often after the last update, so this bug occurs much more often as well.

This issue drives me absolutely crazy... I love my Tesla, but hate the radio... I find myself listening to radio stations in lieu of Slacker - I think the name fits the service...

• Funny
Reactions: qadaemon
As a long time Tesla owner (VIN 3xxx S P85), we've seen these issues on-and-off in various versions of the media player.

The problem appears to be the inability of the media player software to record the current song & position when the media player is running. And when the processor goes to sleep and resumes, the media player forgets what was playing, and has to start over.

Prior to 8.0, the media player would at least remember the currently playing song when you changed sources. Going from USB to radio and then back to USB, you'd resume from the last song being played. With 8.x, when you return to USB, it completely forgets what song was playing - and you have to re-select your song. And because of the bug in randomization, if you select "shuffle" mode, starting with the 2nd song being played, you end up with the same "random" sequence every time.

These are really very, very easy problems to fix.

For USB and Slacker, all they would have to do is store the current song & playback position every few seconds in permanent memory storage, and when returning to USB or Slacker, pull the current song/position out of that storage and resume.

The "random" problem is a basic Programming 101 problem - computers don't do random numbers, they reproduce the same results every time, typically another variable is used (such as time to a fraction of a second) to make the software produce what appears to be random numbers.

These should be pretty easy problems to fix - and yet it's been over a year since 8.0 broke a number of the media player features, and they still aren't working today.

I drove to the golf course this morning with streaming working fine. I had the X install 2017.42.a88c8d5 while I was playing the round. The FM radio didn't work, so I restarted the center screen -- FM was back. I placed on streaming, and songs stopped and started. Often they just stopped, and advanced to the next song. There was a hesitation between songs -- start, stop, start advanced. When I got home and connected to my WIFI, it was the same as over the ATT network. FM is still intermittent, another reset, all the same. I moved to USB Fob and it worked perfectly. I didn't have my phone at the time, so didn't try blue tooth. Will try in the morning.

So far this seems to be related to the 2017.42.a88c8d5 update and limited to Streaming an FM. I was hoping the new release wold fix the Phone/Radio issue that lost audio on the prior release. You got to love the challenges of SW. Will update on the blue tooth tomorrow

• Informative
Reactions: David29
For me Slacker streaming and Tunein have been super slow since Friday night ... Songs load at about 10% the speed they were, stop and catchup every 15-20 seconds. Multiple reboots hasn’t resolved the issue, so it’s either slow LTE, some throttling on Tesla’s end or some bug since the last update (which was last week).

• Informative
Just drove 4 hours slacker restarted/skipper about 5 new songs. It used to load the entire song in seconds, now it’s barely loading in front of the playtime, when it catches up it either spins or skips... I have to think this is an account thing and not a firmware thing as this started Friday for me.

Just drove 4 hours slacker restarted/skipper about 5 new songs. It used to load the entire song in seconds, now it’s barely loading in front of the playtime, when it catches up it either spins or skips... I have to think this is an account thing and not a firmware thing as this started Friday for me.

For the last four days I am having same problems. Slacker has always worked well for me, but now 5-15 seconds between songs, songs beings skipped because they cannot load, songs pausing, and a couple of loading errors.

• Informative
I installed the update for 2017.42 a88c8d5 on Thursday night. I have had considerable difficulty playing podcasts yesterday and today. Podcasts won't restart after leaving the car and coming back. Instead I have to revert to the podcast episode list and re-select the episode to get it to start playing again. then, to get back to where i was, it is very difficult to use the cursor to move the program forward. It seems to move only a few seconds at a time, so it is tedious to move ahead by, say, 10 minutes. Sometimes the episodes start part-way through, with no way to back up to the beginning -- the left-most point on the time bar is not the beginning. Really quite annoying!
No way to tell if the difficulty is related to the software update, or coincidental. Either way, something seems to be broken that had been working pretty well until a few days ago.

Myself and others have been having the "Loading Error" issue with Slacker for a week now. Coincidentally, I also got 2017.42 a week ago......
It literally does it at least twice every single time I get in the car. Sometimes it'll happen a half dozen times in one short drive.
I don't use Tune-In, but I'll try it tomorrow to see if it's doing the same

• Informative
Reactions: thinklabinc
FYI, my service center got back to me today and told me that resuming is a feature of the premium sound system. They purposefully disable resuming on non-premium.

Thank you for sharing. This guidance from your SC seems to conflict with what Freemont and Slacker previously told me... My post from page one of this thread

They basically say, if someone were to upgrade to Slacker Premium On Demand, then songs would pick up where they left off. That inquiry took me all of a few minutes combined between the call to Freemont and my chat with Slacker. You say, "took the SC a month to figure out" :confused:. That's kind of funny, but not unusual in my experience.

Based on what I was told by Tesla and Slacker, it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the premium sound system. Rather, it has to do with the type of Slacker subscription that you have.

Maybe someone with the premium sound system can confirm?

Last edited:
What I know for sure:

I have the standard slacker account in my non-premium Model X.

I had a loaner Model X which had premium sound, and was logged into the standard slacker account.

My car never resumes. The loaner resumed every time.

So I know for sure it's possible to have a standard slacker account and have it resume, and the SC told me that this is expected behavior between the premium and non-premium systems.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
Thank you for sharing. This guidance from your SC seems to conflict with what Freemont and Slacker previously told me... My post from page one of this thread

They basically say, if someone were to upgrade to Slacker Premium On Demand, then songs would pick up where they left off. That inquiry took me all of a few minutes combined between the call to Freemont and my chat with Slacker. You say, "took the SC a month to figure out" :confused:. That's kind of funny, but not unusual in my experience.

Based on what I was told by Tesla and Slacker, it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the premium sound system. Rather, it has to do with the type of Slacker subscription that you have.

Maybe someone with the premium sound system can confirm?
I have premium sound, no special slacker account, typically my songs pick up where I left them. There were a couple of bad releases where they did not. I had a non-premium sound loaner and that one restarts from the start of a song every time. I also met another owner without premium sound and the songs restart from start every time cid screen comes up (which must be driving you people nuts since it was very annoying for me in the short time I experienced it).

Also sometimes the whole media thing crashes and then the audio source might switch in unpredictable ways.

I tried to see in the code if there's anything but I failed to locate a corresponding check hinging on VAPI_audioType, that said the correlation seems to be there so I might need to look harder.

songs restart from start every time cid screen comes up (which must be driving you people nuts since it was very annoying for me in the short time I experienced it

Thank you for your input @gearchruncher and @verygreen.

I wonder if non-premium sound combined with a premium Slacker account would function the same way as the premium sound system with the standard Slacker accounts.

In any case, yes, restarting the song every single time the door closes and opens is somewhat annoying - especially when you're trying to clean the car. You can literally be listening to the same song for 20 minutes or more before the car finally gets tired of it and moves on to another song <-- I think after 6 or 7 restarts.

Reactions: Hank42 and David29