Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker stations missing, but current station continues to play ok

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went ahead and got "Slacker Premium" it gives you a playlist of their licensed music and can also be played from my cell phone, computer, tablet, ect. I just found the stations to be a pain in the butt. Oh, and another thing, who thought up the name for this company? Come on, "Slacker" ??? not only that, but since I pay them I'm a "Premium Slacker".

ETA: $10 a month to be a "Premium Slacker" , to me it's worth it for the play list and not having to deal with their channels.

Did you have these long delays between songs before you bought the paid version? Did it solve the issue?

Once I wipe out the 'free' Tesla login and password, I cannot get them back, so I don't want to try the paid unless I know this issue does not exist.

Did you have these long delays between songs before you bought the paid version? Did it solve the issue?

Once I wipe out the 'free' Tesla login and password, I cannot get them back, so I don't want to try the paid unless I know this issue does not exist.

I still get the long delays (spinning wheel) when I'm in a bad cell reception area, but when I get near town they go away. In my opinion the playlist that you get to put together yourself (from music Slacker has license to) and have the ability to jump around from song to song easily is worth the $10 a month. To me the Slacker "stations" are darn strange, it's like all the artists that you like, but none of them (the songs) are hits or ones that I like. But now were talking about your money so maybe you could try it out on your laptop first before putting it into your car.

ETA: You might try asking NigelM , he lives in the same subdivision as I do, but he is about a mile closer to town. I'm not sure if he uses Slacker or not, but worth asking.

Last edited:
How's everything else 3G related on the tablet? is everything painfully slow? Are you just used to LTE by now and the 3G speed is just out-dated? Maybe it's just the free Tesla/Slacker services? Couldn't tell you from my end, I don't have the car yet!

How's everything else 3G related on the tablet? is everything painfully slow? Are you just used to LTE by now and the 3G speed is just out-dated? Maybe it's just the free Tesla/Slacker services? Couldn't tell you from my end, I don't have the car yet!

The tablet uses wi-fi when it's around the house or a hot spot, I don't think it has a phone in it, not really sure to be honest. My cell phone seems to run slacker without to much problem and it's a Verizon 3G, sometimes the slacker site is just slow on weekends , try it on something else first before you do something un-reversible on your car.

Last edited:
I've got a mid level $4/month Slacker subscription now and from my understanding its the same level or similar to the trial in the Tesla. I can train stations and ask for music but sometimes I don't get exactly what I asked for right away. I plan on putting my username and password in on day one to see how well the Tesla version of the Slacker app works compared to the versions Slacker released for iOS/Android/Windows 8.

Texex91, once 5.6 starts rolling out and you can wifi tether to an LTE device I wonder if that will help clear up the delay issue. From your description it sounds like its having buffering problems. I also wonder which versions of the songs the Tesla app is streaming. In the standalone apps you can configure "Good" or "Best".

Last edited:
I've got a mid level $4/month Slacker subscription now and from my understanding its the same level or similar to the trial in the Tesla. I can train stations and ask for music but sometimes I don't get exactly what I asked for right away. I plan on putting my username and password in on day one to see how well the Tesla version of the Slacker app works compared to the versions Slacker released for iOS/Android/Windows 8.

Texex91, once 5.6 starts rolling out and you can wifi tether to an LTE device I wonder if that will help clear up the delay issue. From your description it sounds like its having buffering problems. I also wonder which versions of the songs the Tesla app is streaming. In the standalone apps you can configure "Good" or "Best".

I think once he tethers to an LTE device the spinning wheel of despair will be gone. If Tesla would let me use Verizon I would gladly pay for it myself. In this area ATT is the worst and almost will guarantee a frustrating experience, just like he's having.

Not yet, but haven't had enough time to test in full just yet...will report.
(will also post this separately) Another problem with music search not finding a song--believe it or not--is apostrophes. If the song you want has an apostrophe in the title (e.g., "Don't Stop Believing") Slacker search will swear it doesn't exist. Simply delete the apostrophe ("Dont stop believing") and you'll be fine. Minor glitch, major annoyance!

I'd be much happier if it just buffered the current song. If it buffers the current song today, it does a bad job at it because it seems like it only has a 0.25 sec buffer (if that).

Agreed, but - buffering the next song would solve that problem too - next shall be current in the future :biggrin:

Last edited: