Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker streaming jumping issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made a visit to a service center yesterday for an unrelated item and mentioned this ongoing Slacker streaming issue and was told they now know what the issue is.

It is being blamed on a software issue on Slacker's side (of course). And the remedy requires Slacker to update the software to resolve. The kicker is that there is no platform wide software update that can fix it. The tech at Tesla told me that Slacker actually has to go to every individual channel on the entire Slacker platform and make the update one channel by one channel at a time. I would suggest not holding your breath if this explanation is true.
I find that total BS simply by the fact that the problem is not only with Slacker - with Tunein too. And as soon as you switch to WiFi - problem goes away.

Made a visit to a service center yesterday for an unrelated item and mentioned this ongoing Slacker streaming issue and was told they now know what the issue is.

It is being blamed on a software issue on Slacker's side (of course). And the remedy requires Slacker to update the software to resolve. The kicker is that there is no platform wide software update that can fix it. The tech at Tesla told me that Slacker actually has to go to every individual channel on the entire Slacker platform and make the update one channel by one channel at a time. I would suggest not holding your breath if this explanation is true.

This is a slight modification of the excuse many of us have received. In this version Slacker needs to update channel by channel, in earlier and many other versions Tesla needed to do the update on their side channel by channel. Makes no sense though as many have pointed out. Why would TuneIn be affected (which I can say it definitely is) and what happens with custom Slacker channels if this is true?

Took delivery of my MXP100DL today - when I mentioned the problem in my S they informed my that it is because Slacker/Tune In (same company actually) changed their encryption and that they are working on a solution jointly.

Who knows, as plausible as any answer I guess...just the newest reason I have heard.

Am I still one of the few lucky ones that has zero problems with streaming on LTE (or lack-thereof) with < 200kbps bandwidth test? I went from .46.xxxxa54 to .50.1.3b8 and streaming still works with no hiccups. I actually tried several channels today just for fun.

Last edited:
Am I still one of the few lucky ones that has zero problems with streaming on LTE (or lack-thereof) with < 200kbps bandwidth test? I went from .48.a54 to .50.1.3b8 and streaming still works with no hiccups. I actually tried several channels today just for fun.
Ironically my new X had ZERO problems today (.51) - after I dropped it off to the wrap guy I got into my S (which is still on .42) and it skipped all over the place.

It is being blamed on a software issue on Slacker's side (of course). And the remedy requires Slacker to update the software to resolve. The kicker is that there is no platform wide software update that can fix it. The tech at Tesla told me that Slacker actually has to go to every individual channel on the entire Slacker platform and make the update one channel by one channel at a time.
The problem I have with that explanation (was told the same by Tesla) is that if that were the case then newly created channels (when I search for an artist for song for example) would not have the issue. However, in my car at least, they do. Also, I find it hard to believe that a script couldn't be put together to update the channels rather quickly.

I can’t imagine that being true. Probably deflection.

stop using dashcam, that will help a bunch.

The problem is they have a bunch of CPU hungry processes. The fix is to increase priority of audio threads. I notified Tesla already but they still did not include this fix in 19.16. Here's hoping it'll be included later.

Until then (and at all other times) - it again draws attention to the importnt topic of rooting, where Tesla must allow people to have full control over their cars (at least the infotainment part).

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
stop using dashcam, that will help a bunch.

The problem is they have a bunch of CPU hungry processes. The fix is to increase priority of audio threads. I notified Tesla already but they still did not include this fix in 19.16. Here's hoping it'll be included later.

Until then (and at all other times) - it again draws attention to the importnt topic of rooting, where Tesla must allow people to have full control over their cars (at least the infotainment part).

Thanks! So, Sentry uses Dashcam, correct? Assumimg I’m fine with giving up Dashcam, I could plug USB storage in when parked and then enable Sentry to protect against damage expense in parking lots, yes? Skipping/stuttering isnt horrible for me, but will be particularly annoyiny on an upcoming long trip. And I’d settle for giving people like you Root that we could hire to address issues, as in enough people to encourage a cottage aftermarket industry to form that would be supported by Tesla.