Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slamming doors and trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read multiple posts about the need to slam both the doors and the trunk in order to get them to latch. Frequently this is excused by saying that the seals are all new and it should improve as they wear. WTH? I have owned several new cars and NEVER had this problem. Anyone else here?

I think it depends on your frame of reference. I think BMW and MINIs have really heavy doors with heavy latches that require slamming. But my Prius’ doors close extremely easy. In fact, I feel like every time someone closes a door on my Prius, it sounds like they’re slamming them shut.

When I finally get my chance to close a Model 3 door, if it’s harder to shut than a BMW/MINI, then I’ll be back to complain :p

Yes -- they need to be closed very firmly. But some context: I had to have a hinge on my Model S replaced a while ago, and suddenly that one door needed to be closed much harder than the other doors.

After a few weeks it settled in and now I can't tell the different on the S with the new hinge.

So I'm guessing that the same may be true for all these brand-new Model 3s: the hinges just need to be broken in a bit and then you won't need as much force to close the doors. We'll see!

All in all, a minor tidbit and not really much of an issue.

Yes, same experience with mine (I picked it up in Fremont last week). I've gotten used to it, but the first few times my wife and I closed the doors they didn't completely shut (it takes a bit more effort in the Model 3 than our Model X required when it was new).