Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleep and Unlock API Question.

gadgetware

Jul 29, 2017
Frederick, MD
Does anyone know what command(s) the official app sends to unlock the car doors? In the app, even if my Model 3 is asleep, as soon as I hit the unlock button the car will unlock. Most of the other commands are grayed out until the car wakes up.

If I use the API documented on the Tim Dorr page to send the unlock command via a python script, the car will not unlock immediately if it is asleep. That command will actually cause the car to wake up but I have to wait another 8-20 seconds before the unlock API command will actually unlock the car. Is there a specific command sequence I need to initiate to eliminate the delay?

KyleDay

Oct 29, 2016
AZ
Could it be that the unlock command from your phone goes out over Bluetooth instead of the api? That could account for the speed.

gadgetware

Jul 29, 2017
Frederick, MD
Could it be that the unlock command from your phone goes out over Bluetooth instead of the api? That could account for the speed.

Of course. That's exactly it. I ran a few tests and once I turned the BT off it has to completely wake up before it will allow me to unlock in the app. Thanks for saving me a lot of troubleshooting!

Reactions: KyleDay

bahree

Jul 9, 2018
Seattle
Sharing my experience - Yes, I have seen that. The only way I have worked around this, is to check if the car is asleep then kick off a async call after a few seconds latency. And I make the same API call again - the first one just wakes up the car and it doesnt seem to 'remember' the first call.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC