Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleep Apnea [my car wont sleep]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After being on the charger and sleeping for days, my 2021 Model 3 will eventually get itself into a mode where it continually runs repeated charging cycles and will never go to sleep. I figured out before that if I unplug the charger and plug it back in, it'll go to sleep after a few minutes... until the next time. I am using a J1772 charger with the adapter. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. Anyone have any ideas? This is just the most recent incident. The one before: it stayed draining about 1kW every few hours and then recharging and continued doing that for 3 days before I had the idea to unplug it and plug it back in. Before that, no sleep cycles in 3 days but as soon as I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in, it went to sleep within 15 minutes and stayed sleeping for a day or two, until the next time I drove it.

charging.png

Mike

It's normal that the car charges a little bit every few hours if your car is not sleeping as the car's computer consumes ~200W to run, which means 1kWh after 5 hours. What you need to find is why the car doesn't sleep. I've heard of cases where the car wouldn't sleep when it was plugged in, you could find some on this forum. In some cases the solution was a software update and in others, it was to change the charge port / board. I would think you don't need a new charge port because you can get the car to sleep if you unplug/replug. I'm at a loss.

True, and that was my intention: to figure out why it sometimes gets bumped out of sleep mode and once it does that, it stays awake until I unplug/replug. If it's not some software bug, my money is still on the charger. I'm using the same Mustart charger that worked perfectly for me while I had my Chevy Bolt but on the outside chance it's some type of intermittent communication problem, I've ordered the 14-50 adapter from Tesla and I'll start using the Tesla mobile charger once it comes. IF it comes. It's been a week since I ordered it and they still haven't shipped it. High demand I'm guessing.

Mike

It's my understanding that TeslaFi doesn't ping the car once it's sleeping. I could revoke the TeslaFi token but I haven't done that since the car appeared to have the same behavior before I started using TeslaFi (and that's the only app I'm using).

Mike