Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleep Indicator Light?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that when the car is sleeping, the USB ports are unpowered. If so, all I need to do to know if the car is sleeping, is plug something in that lights up when powered, like this hub, and place it where I can see it from outside the car. What do you think?

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 4.54.13 PM.jpg

What do you think?

That, while that would work, there should be no worry about the car sleeping at all (it will sleep on its own) as long as you are not running any third party tools. If you are, then you need to make sure they are configured properly and check those tools to see if they say the car is sleeping.

Using that just to see if the car is sleeping, seems to a strange solution to that question to me.

The problem with your plan is, in order to get into the car and plug that in you need to open the door which wakes the car up.
I'm not the OP, but I interpreted the intent to be to permanently attach an LED or whatnot to the dash or some other location that would be visible from outside the car. That way, one could tell when the car is sleeping just by looking. This wouldn't be a one-off thing, but rather, something to be used for regular monitoring; hence, no opening of the car's door would be required, except for the initial installation.

Another approach is to use a monitoring app or Web site. TeslaFi definitely provides this information, and I'd expect at least some others to do so, as well. One caveat is that remote monitoring tools like this have been known to interfere with the car's ability to sleep, especially when using several such tools. I've never had this problem with TeslaFi, but I've seen reports from others who have. TeslaFi provides a number of sleep settings to help work around problems that may occur. IIRC, optimum TeslaFi sleep settings vary by Tesla model and software version.

Why do you want to know when your car is sleeping?
Recently, I had the black backup camera glitch. That fixes itself when the car goes to sleep, so I wanted to know exactly when that happened.

Note that I've recently learned that the problem can apparently be fixed by telling the car to recalibrate the cameras.

The problem with your plan is, in order to get into the car and plug that in you need to open the door which wakes the car up.
That hub is always connected. In the above scenario, I'd open the center console so I can see the hub from outside, get out, and wait.

One thing I have noticed is that if you open up the Tesla app (Tezlab and stats app are another ones I use) it will tell you if the car is sleeping. If you close the app fast enough after seeing that it's sleeping, the car won't wake up. At least this is what I have experienced.

Side note, I am glad to get confirmation that the usb ports are dead when car is asleep. For trial run, I ordered some usb led lights and I haven't been using them as I was afraid they stay on all the time, even when car was sleeping

One thing I have noticed is that if you open up the Tesla app (Tezlab and stats app are another ones I use) it will tell you if the car is sleeping. If you close the app fast enough after seeing that it's sleeping, the car won't wake up. At least this is what I have experienced.

Side note, I am glad to get confirmation that the usb ports are dead when car is asleep. For trial run, I ordered some usb led lights and I haven't been using them as I was afraid they stay on all the time, even when car was sleeping

1634924854067.jpeg

I check the app whenever I want. If it wakes, it wakes.

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3