Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleep Issues and Vampire Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

s00nr1

Boomer Sooner
Jun 16, 2017
OKC
Hey everyone. We are now about 6 weeks in with our 2013 P85 and are experiencing some rather aggravating vampire drain while idling, on the order of 1mi/hr.

I went ahead and signed up for TeslaFi to do a bit more research and found the car is having trouble going to sleep consistently when it should be, both in the garage, and outside in the sun. I have followed all requirements (always on disabled, overheat protection off, energy savings on) and recommendations (change Tesla password, MCU reboot) but the issue remains.

I know this has likely been addressed here before, but I've done several searches related to vampire drain and the car not going to sleep and was unable to locate anything addressing these issues specifically.

I have attached a screenshot from TeslaFi. You'll notice the car slept as it should up until 5am when charging kicked in, then refused to go back to sleep after charge completion (as well as the nearly 1mi/hr idling loss).

Any thoughts?

Untitled.png

Have you tried rebooting your car? Could be your car's battery needed cooling after the charging session.

Yeah, a couple of reboots were done.

Initially, I also thought it might be a battery cooling necessity, but I'm having the same issue this morning some 10 or so hours after charging was complete. I will mention that I can currently hear the audible hum of what I assume is the BMS running, and that has consistently coincided with the car not being able to sleep.

Untitled_1.png

Quick update:

Trying a couple different things, I was able to get the BMS to shut off via the following process:
1. Unplug the car from the garage outlet
2. Close charge port
3. Open driver's door
4. Close driver's door
5. Lock car via key fob

No idea if this was pure coincidence but the hum of the BMS immediately shut off after step 5, likely allowing the car to finally go to sleep.