Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleep Mode For Dummies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Jerry. What you've described is what I'm seeing. I'm guessing I was impatient with the WiFi and the car would have found my home network eventually after I woke it up. The "deep sleep" wording came from a window that popped up in Visible Tesla telling me that the car may be in deep sleep and I may have to wake it up. THAT part of my question might be better off in the VT thread.
I'm still not sure if the rated range before topping up number is lower because of 5.6., sleep mode, non battery balancing, or just my imagination.

Specifically: I charge the 85 to 65%. This usually gives me about 160 miles rated at charging complete. In the past the rated never dropped below 155 before topping up. Now it drops to 148 and stays there for quite some time.

I don't have VT because it seems to be incompatible with my version of Java. My understanding is that when the charge stays an one place for awhile it's because of battery balancing. I thought that battery balancing mostly happened at 90%+, but from your description it doesn't sound like it.

The SOC of the battery has a great deal of guesswork in it because it's very hard to measure the actual SOC. I don't worry that much about what the numbers say, and they change with each release. Unless there is some evidence otherwise, I expect a 5% drop in real SOC the first year and a 1% drop every year thereafter--regardless of the display reading. Any variance from what I expect is most likely to be either balancing or software.

Agreed. I definitely don't worry about it because of the reasons you state. Still just wondering if it has something to do with sleep mode behavior.

I wouldn't think so. The only thing would be that if the system's memory of the SOC is dumped during sleep, then it would recalibrate at wake up. That shouldn't be any different than recalibrating when the car starts without sleep, but unless you know the algorithm used, it's just guessing at what the car does.

I have to bump this up as I have a few questions about sleep, too. I picked up my new S yesterday and enjoyed the 45-minute tutorial on using the car. However, nothing was said about sleep mode - or deep sleep. either. I drove the car tonight and left it in a parking lot (showing 196 miles on the range display). Returning after 2 hours I was not able to turn the car back on. After repeated attempts with the key button, the car finally came on - but without any central display. I drove home but obviously couldn't get into the garage as the home link was invisible. During the drive, the lights worked ok but the turn signals emitted no sound. After getting out of the car to open the garage door manually, the car turned off again and wouldn't restart. Repeated clicks on the key finally did something and I got the cat inside - still no display. Very unsettling.

On calling Tesla Roadside Assistance, I was told the car probably went into a 'deep sleep' and should be rebooted using the two scrolls on the steering wheel. Successful.

OK, you veterans. Is this behavior normal? Leaving the car for only 2 hours, with about 75% of the battery charged? If so, I'm not a happy owner - after only one day.

Incidentally, after the reboot and with the charge cable plugged in, the car went immediately into charge mode - even though it was outside the scheduled hours for charging at home. I had to disable and enable the schedule to flip it off.

I have to bump this up as I have a few questions about sleep, too.

Sounds like your center touchscreen ended up in a weird state - it controls the audio for the turn signals, etc. I'm glad the reboot fixed it. I've found that it's a very rare occurrence (I haven't done a scroll-wheel reset in nearly 6 months now). If it continues to act up, call your service center, they can pull the logs and identify any problems with the MCU.

After only a few months ownership I do not yet consider myself a "veteran" but having read on this forum for several months prior to delivery I can assure you this is definitely NOT normal. Don't worry about messing with the key fob. It really does nothing related to starting the car. It just registers its presence with the car and unlocks the doors/trunk/frunk. The scroll wheels reset act a lot like a Ctrl+Alt+Delete combination on your computer (unless you have an Apple :redface:). I can offer no suggestions as to what occurred to your car or why but I hope you can take it in stride and, now that it is reset and working, you can really enjoy the amazing machine you have purchased. If ANYTHING like this occurs again, call Tesla directly. They have been really great about finding a solution to any problems.

Don't worry about messing with the key fob. It really does nothing related to starting the car.

I have found that when the car is in a "deep sleep" that the double-click on the top will wake it up slightly faster than standing by the door until the car senses you there (if you have the auto-presenting handles). If there's something gummed up, the double-click on the fob top may activate the systems that the MCU can't.

I have found that when the car is in a "deep sleep" that the double-click on the top will wake it up slightly faster than standing by the door until the car senses you there (if you have the auto-presenting handles). If there's something gummed up, the double-click on the fob top may activate the systems that the MCU can't.
Good to know info. I have not experienced this so I did not know that. I learn new things daily on this forum!

A few days ago a had a very unsatisfactory conversation with the service center in Fremont about sleep.

I was told that there is only one sleep mode. It seems that this is not true.

I was trying to get some information on how long does it take for the car to go into sleep mode. It varies I was told. On what? No answer. My experience has been that the car will sometimes go into sleep mode in around 20 minutes and sometimes never. I did do a main screen reboot and that seemed to make the sleep mode more consistent. But still, after letting the car sit all night, the instrument dash comes on instantly when I open the door. That tells me that the car is not in sleep mode. If I see the slow start up with the Tesla logo, the car was asleep.

My other question is what are people typically seeing for vampire losses when the car is asleep? I see about 9 miles range reduction in 14 hours on my MS60.

A couple of points that are known: in sleep mode in middle-of-the-road ambient temps (not too cold), you'll lose 2-4 miles per day, and when the car is awake, 10 miles per day.

If you use any external polling software or you keep the app open, the car can stay awake.

If you're not using any of these, I have heard of a case (there's a thread here but I can't find it right now) where the car just simply wouldn't sleep until engineering logged into the car and found the car wasn't sleeping, despite the fact it appeared that it should.

OK, sounds like the 9 miles I'm seeing is not normal then.

Yes, I understand that opening the door, or polling the car will wake it up. This is what made me so angry at the service center because he kept badgering me about leaving the car alone after I told him several times that the car was sitting overnight.

I remember the post you mentioned. That turned out to be a problem with the sleep mode option not being set in the MPU even though it was set via the UI. I think that was gg_got_tesla that reported that. But if my car goes to sleep sometimes then that could not be the issue.

Just to check I just went out to the car to check it. VT says it was asleep and when I opened the door the dash booted up. So it does go to sleep. I do have an original 12V battery too.

Thanks.

A couple of points that are known: in sleep mode in middle-of-the-road ambient temps (not too cold), you'll lose 2-4 miles per day, and when the car is awake, 10 miles per day.

If you use any external polling software or you keep the app open, the car can stay awake.

If you're not using any of these, I have heard of a case (there's a thread here but I can't find it right now) where the car just simply wouldn't sleep until engineering logged into the car and found the car wasn't sleeping, despite the fact it appeared that it should.