Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleep Mode on Shore Power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
Why does Tesla have "sleep mode" ie non responsive mode while the car is connected to he wall?

An iPhone with a small battery has no such "sleep mode", and a simple power strip does not turn off its LED indicator, yet Tesla turns off the charging indicator and all sorts of low powered features.

My main issue is the "wake" feature on the mobile app often takes quite a while, but it seems excessively cheap to cut something like an indicator LED on the charge port.

They have an indicator LED to the left of the charging port so it’s not like they were cheap and left out a part. They just choose not to have it lit all the time while charging.
I would have to check if the HPWC goes black but I dont believe it does and stays lit when charging. Same for the mobile charger.

Come to think of it, neither does an iPhone...only some androids have a led. I don’t think I care either way. Yeah it would be nice to have it “active” so that the mobile app would be responsive, but meh...no big deal to me. That might also complicate long term storage.

...An iPhone with a small battery has no such "sleep mode".....
Cell phones are in sleep mode most of the time and the iPhone has no LED indicator when in sleep to tell you it is charging.

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 1.29.32 PM.png

It's most likely an intrinsic limitation with the design of the vehicle. The power consumption to have the vehicle when its powered up is very considerable. Having the fleet always awake would be borderline negligent. And having the charger powered up to compensate for this power consumption would most likely shorten the life of the charger considerably, as well as increase the susceptibility to power anomaly related failures. Quite a bit is running when the car is awake, leaving it on all the time so its slightly faster to respond to the app isn't the way to go. They could design out this problem, and I don't see it being particularly challenging, but it has some non zero cost and would make parts somewhat redundant, so I suspect they aren't too keen on that concept.

Cell phones are designed with being left on in mind, so they often have dedicated hardware to minimize power consumption when sitting idle. A car isn't typically required or expected to be accessible through an app at a moments notice. That said, I do expect they will eventually decide to put in dedicated 'sleep' hardware.

They have an indicator LED to the left of the charging port so it’s not like they were cheap and left out a part. They just choose not to have it lit all the time while charging.
I would have to check if the HPWC goes black but I dont believe it does and stays lit when charging. Same for the mobile charger.

Come to think of it, neither does an iPhone...only some androids have a led. I don’t think I care either way. Yeah it would be nice to have it “active” so that the mobile app would be responsive, but meh...no big deal to me. That might also complicate long term storage.

I think you miss the point about the post by referring to the LED. It turns off because the car went into "super-lower power mode" and needs to be woken.

It's most likely an intrinsic limitation with the design of the vehicle. The power consumption to have the vehicle when its powered up is very considerable. Having the fleet always awake would be borderline negligent. And having the charger powered up to compensate for this power consumption would most likely shorten the life of the charger considerably, as well as increase the susceptibility to power anomaly related failures. Quite a bit is running when the car is awake, leaving it on all the time so its slightly faster to respond to the app isn't the way to go. They could design out this problem, and I don't see it being particularly challenging, but it has some non zero cost and would make parts somewhat redundant, so I suspect they aren't too keen on that concept.

The car can be in sleep mode just like the iPhone is in sleep mode, using small amounts of power to run their CPU, antenna, and memory. So little power that it runs off a tiny battery.

The car is not off either when it goes into sleep mode, so I really don't know why it needs to go unresponsive. Probably they are just using the same sleep mode for when the car is on battery vs at home. Ironically, they offer "sentry mode" which will keep the car powered everywhere except at home.

I'm glad you know the vehicle design better than Tesla. You should point this critical oversight out to them. I'm sure not one of the thousands of engineers there have ever considered this possibility and they would cherish your remarkable insight.

• Disagree
Reactions: Petermcg
I'm glad you know the vehicle design better than Tesla. You should point this critical oversight out to them. I'm sure not one of the thousands of engineers there have ever considered this possibility and they would cherish your remarkable insight.

So it might not be clear, but you obviously know nothing and don't need to respond to this post.