Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleep & Teslafi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KArnold

May 21, 2017
Columbus OH
Anyone seen hourly sleep like the below? Just changed my Tesla password so only the Tesla app and TeslaFi have access to my vehicle. Overheat protection is off. On 2020.36.11 but it's been happening a while.

Thoughts?
Screenshot_20200921-125944_Chrome.jpg

I'm not a Teslafi expert, but if you don't check: " Do not check the vehicle status during nighttime sleep mode. " Won't it check the vehicle status and wake it up? It sure looks like something is polling the vehicle every hour.

Mine is sort of similar, but it's currently sleeping 15 minutes and idle 1 hour 12 minutes. Sometimes its different times, but always just a few minutes of sleep. It's been doing this since my MCU2/HW3 upgrade, and near but not immediately after a firmware update. I've been too lazy to change my password, but I've had TeslaFi for about 3 years now without a sleep problem. I do see increased battery drain, There have been a few posts with similar behavior in the past few months.

TeslaFi is able to check that the car is sleeping without waking it up, though constant polling will keep the car awake if it is already awake. Clearly the car is entering the sleep mode, so TeslaFi isn't keeping it awake. It stays asleep for more than the one minute TeslaFi polling interval so I don't think TeslaFi is responsible for waking up the car.

Mine also seems to alternate between either sleeping for just a few minutes (e.g. ~15) and then idling for an hour, or sleeping for exactly 1 hour at a time, and waking up for an hour (usually shown as 1:12 but I think that's because of how long it takes TeslaFi to pause and detect that it's sleeping?).

It does occasionally sleep for a couple hours, but that seems kinda rare. I also don't believe it's TeslaFi keeping it awake or waking it up.

Yes, mine has been doing this since an update in May.

It will basically do this from when it finishes around 9:30 PM until 3 AM.

I have started to just manually lower the charge limit after the charging completes, that prevents it from constantly waking to top up.

Interestingly, mine sleeps for only 10 minutes before waking up to top off, whereas yours seems to sleep for a whole hour.

upload_2020-9-23_15-16-57.png

Interestingly, mine sleeps for only 10 minutes before waking up to top off, whereas yours seems to sleep for a whole hour.

In these Covid days I'm not driving much at all. Typically the car is in the garage, plugged in, and set to 50% limit SOC. Tried unplugging the car - no change in sleep patterns.

I also think I first saw this around May. Just didn't bother to report it. This is a '17 MS100D

Mine is similar but worse. After charging the car sleeps for only 10 minutes, then idles for 12 or 16 minutes, then repeats this sleep/idle cycle for many hours during the night, and then goes to sleep for a couple hours at sunrise. It has been this way for a couple weeks at least. I haven’t changed my TeslaFi settings in months, so not sure why this is happening now as it didn’t previously.

Last edited:
Mine is similar but worse. After charging the car sleeps for only 10 minutes, then idles for 12 or 16 minutes, then sleeps again, for many hours during the night, and then usually goes to sleep for a couple hours at sunrise. It has been this way for a couple weeks at least. I haven’t changed my TeslaFi settings in months, so not sure why this is happening now as it didn’t previously.

Mine started happening the night I installed
2020.16.2.1 e99c70fff409
On May 21, 2020
I'm pretty sure that introduced a bug that they just haven't fixed.

Lowering the charge limit after I reach my desired charge limit fixes it. I usually charge to 80%, then once charging is complete I lower it to 75% and the car can sleep normally. It's pretty annoying that I have to do this daily, but I don't want my contactors cycling 20 times a night for no reason.

How do I change the change level after charging? Is this a TeslaFi capability?

I've been doing it manually. I do not believe TeslaFi has the ability to execute a command on a trigger other than a specified time. You could choose a time every night that you usually finish charging to adjust the charge limit lower. For instance my scheduled charging starts at 9PM and usually finishes by 9:30PM - I could set a scheduled command at 9:30 to change the limit down then.