Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, when the app says "Waking Up" that doesn't necessarily mean the car is asleep. I get the same message sometimes when I open the app and my wife is driving the car. A long delay might be caused by a bad/slow connection or the Tesla servers responding slowly, not just the car waking up.

Any way to keep M3 from going to sleep? Always seems to take a while when I open the app and it says it’s waking up the car. I know that can be disabled on X and S but can’t find that on M3. Do folks know?

I wouldn't recommend it.
The sleep mode that the car goes into turns off a number of systems and dramatically reduces power consumption. As David said, the app's "waking up" isn't always the car being asleep, a big portion is just creating connectivity to the vehicle. And if a vehicle is parked in a building with bad cellular coverage and no Wi-Fi, then it is going to longer to connect, if at all.

And honestly, how often are you using the app? I hope that you aren't checking it hourly.

I wish I could customize that setting as well. My car is often slow to wake up when I get in it and push on the brake. It can have a blank screen and unable to drive for up to 30 seconds sometimes. I will trade off vampire drain for the ability to jump in and go immediately.

Hope I am never trying to get away from an axe murderer - it will be just like those horror movies where the person's car wont start at that critical moment, LOL. :eek:

(And, yes, the SC has been made aware. They said it was fixed in a firmware update, but it is still doing it)

I wouldn't recommend it.
The sleep mode that the car goes into turns off a number of systems and dramatically reduces power consumption. As David said, the app's "waking up" isn't always the car being asleep, a big portion is just creating connectivity to the vehicle. And if a vehicle is parked in a building with bad cellular coverage and no Wi-Fi, then it is going to longer to connect, if at all.

And honestly, how often are you using the app? I hope that you aren't checking it hourly.

I know it would drain more but I don’t really care unless I’m on a road trip with limited charging opportunities in which case I would turn ‘power saving’ back on, like I do on my X. But when at home every night, I could handle the drain.

Any way to keep M3 from going to sleep? Always seems to take a while when I open the app and it says it’s waking up the car. I know that can be disabled on X and S but can’t find that on M3. Do folks know?

if you really want to do this, you can do it by setting something up to poll the car on a regular basis. when i signed up for teslafi, i noticed that my car wasn't sleeping even with their sleep modes enabled...then i realized that it was because i had my home assistant set to poll the car every 5 minutes. once i turned that off, the car started sleeping (teslafi will show you the status)...

also, i'm going to disagree with the idea that "waking up" doesn't necessarily mean the car is asleep...in my experience, it has. i never saw the waking up message before turning off home assistant polling (i.e. before the car started sleeping), now i see it all the time if the car sits for longer than 30-45 minutes or so. if i look at teslafi, i can always see that the car is asleep when i see the "waking up" message in the app.

if you really want to do this, you can do it by setting something up to poll the car on a regular basis. when i signed up for teslafi, i noticed that my car wasn't sleeping even with their sleep modes enabled...then i realized that it was because i had my home assistant set to poll the car every 5 minutes. once i turned that off, the car started sleeping (teslafi will show you the status)...

also, i'm going to disagree with the idea that "waking up" doesn't necessarily mean the car is asleep...in my experience, it has. i never saw the waking up message before turning off home assistant polling (i.e. before the car started sleeping), now i see it all the time if the car sits for longer than 30-45 minutes or so. if i look at teslafi, i can always see that the car is asleep when i see the "waking up" message in the app.

So unlike in the X and S, there is no legit way to prevent the car from sleeping?

I just took delivery yesterday. Charged and was trying to check phantom drain etc while it was home. Tried multiple times to connect but the car would not. When I got home opened and it immediately connected without me getting or pressing brake. NOw it won’t connect again. Don’t think it’s connection as my S is sitting right next to it and I have no issues connecting. Thoughts?