Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleeping at super chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be making at 20+ hr drive coming up soon. Was going to be with the family, but for various reasons it looks like I will be solo. So instead of getting a hotel I figured I'd just crash at an SC on the way. Who has done this and any suggestions? I'm not talking about just reclining the seat back for 30 minutes, but climbing in the back and laying out on a mattress for 4+ hrs. Really wishing I had tinted the windows now.

Reactions: Zhball208503
I will be making at 20+ hr drive coming up soon. Was going to be with the family, but for various reasons it looks like I will be solo. So instead of getting a hotel I figured I'd just crash at an SC on the way. Who has done this and any suggestions? I'm not talking about just reclining the seat back for 30 minutes, but climbing in the back and laying out on a mattress for 4+ hrs. Really wishing I had tinted the windows now.

I'd recommend against that. Superchargers are more like a gas station where you fill up your tank and leave. Sitting at a supercharger for 4+ hours would not only cost you a lot in idle charges after your car completes charging, but you might get some angry people knocking on your window who are waiting to charge.

A rest area would be a much safer bet.

Reactions: srs5694
I'd recommend against that. Superchargers are more like a gas station where you fill up your tank and leave. Sitting at a supercharger for 4+ hours would not only cost you a lot in idle charges after your car completes charging, but you might get some angry people knocking on your window who are waiting to charge.

A rest area would be a much safer bet.
I expect this to be in the middle of the night in heartland USA. I doubt very much if the SC will have much traffic at all, and if it was crowded, of course I would not crash there.

Reactions: Dre78
I'm pretty sure OP is asking about staying at a SC location, but not in the stall or plugged in all night.
@Effopec , the safety of SC locations varies wildly from SC to SC. But in general, they are not well suited for sleeping overnight. At well lit shopping centers or convenience stores you would likely find yourself talking to security. Motel managers would frown on folks sleeping in their parking lots. And some of the many SCs I've used are just not in a safe location for an overnight stay.
As an alternative, let me suggest downloading the KOA app and use it to find a campsite with 30 or 50 amp service (I made a 30A adapter just for camping). You can pull in, plug in, and sleep in the back. If you get a 50 A site, you'll be fully charged in the morning. The 30 A service is only 120 volts, so you may not top off depending on your starting state.
It's best to call the campground manager first. Some may not want a car in an RV slot. I've never had one turn me down.
Good luck.

I've done this when traveling. I drive till I'm tired, charge, then find a dark corner in the parking lot near the charger and fold down my rear seat and inflate my mattress. I run climate all night long so it's very comfortable. Even a very cold night around 30's the car used about 10% of the battery (85) and I topped it off when I woke up to brush and go. Going solo I can almost live out of my car lol.

Get the TT30 adapter for the UMC and you’ll get 3 KW charging at a campground with 30 Amp service. (Lots of campgrounds don’t have 50 amp 240 service). In the morning you have showers, washrooms, security, bring a camp stove, make some coffee, a few eggs....just sayin. Bests the hell out of a hotel and restaurant.

TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

I did it once. I found SC is safer than most other options. I kept it plugged sine I was the only one there, no idle charges, plus I can turned on the HVAC at full power without worrying about range loss. Also it looks like I was supper charging so that the security or police don't bother me. I think it's illegal to sleep in the car in most if the places. The only thing is I have to find a 24/7 store or restaurant to use restrooms. So don't drink too much:)

I would do it again any time!

BTW, this is what I used with my X, almost as comfortable as my bed at home:
MegaMat Duo 10 LW+

Just under inflate a little and it will accommodate the wells and fit the X perfectly.

Last edited:
I just did a 24 hour drive (28hr w/ stops) solo round trip and each way just stopped at a rest stop. The superchargers generally were in less "safe" places (e.g. behind a Wendy's or in a large empty parking lot) or in obnoxiously lit places (e.g. at a bright gas station). I was much more comfortable at the rest stop with tons of truckers and some other passenger vehicles.

I just did a 24 hour drive (28hr w/ stops) solo round trip and each way just stopped at a rest stop. The superchargers generally were in less "safe" places (e.g. behind a Wendy's or in a large empty parking lot) or in obnoxiously lit places (e.g. at a bright gas station). I was much more comfortable at the rest stop with tons of truckers and some other passenger vehicles.

Same! I sleep at truck stops and rest areas. It's safe because you won't be the only one. Sometimes they even have security. Truckers are good people. Also they are usually right on the highway.

Sleeping at a supercharger you will eventually be the only car at 3am parked behind a closed Walmart. Someone would prob take a look inside thinking a person left the car overnight.

I did it once when I got caught in a snowstorm and couldn't get to my planned hotel due to interstate closure, and needed to be able to run HVAC without knowing how long I was going to be there. Granted, that was an extreme situation and I was the only car there, but… done it.

Look on amazon. You can get ceramic side window tint (front, rear, and the little triangle piece) for $50. Pay the extra couple bucks for the install kit (squeege, scraper, fluid) and test piece. You also need a hair dryer to install it. Watch a few YouTube videos before you begin.