Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleeping in the car for 2 weeks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it was either the house or the Tesla
somewhere on the web (might have been here!) saw extensive discussion of this by a lady that decided to live in her 3 for an EXTENDED period of time. Seems it's pretty well-suited, but I can't give you the details; I do remember that there are several "mattress" options and that she felt the most expensive one was NOT the best one...

Has anyone tried it? How comfortable was it? What mattress do you recommend?

Thanks a lot

i sleep regularly in my car as i often drive 1100km without supercharging and usually leave in the afternoon due to work related reasons.

I don't use a matress - just 2 iso/yoga mats on top of each other. I used to have an air matress but its annoying that you have to blow it up first and then its quite thick, and given that the parcelshelf is in the way the lower you lie the more comfortable it feels. also it sleeps kinda weird on air as you lie on an incline. I would also make sure to use just a thin duvet/comforter, again because of the percel shelf but also due to space considerations when you store it.
where I live it is quite warm so I actually only use a curtesy blanket. If its sub 5 degrees outside id use a summer blanket i guess...

When you sleep you will sleep on an incline with the gen 2 seats. some people find that annoying. If its just you traveling you can take the rear seatbench out before you go and then it is flat.

I sleep pretty well in my Tesla. Make sure to bring earplugs and i can also recommend some heatshields for privacy/light blockage.

Last edited:
somewhere on the web (might have been here!) saw extensive discussion of this by a lady that decided to live in her 3 for an EXTENDED period of time. Seems it's pretty well-suited, but I can't give you the details; I do remember that there are several "mattress" options and that she felt the most expensive one was NOT the best one...

I think you are thinking of this interview from February

I did this on a week long road trip. I don’t like the incline so removed my rear seat bench and put down a blanket so the seat backs wouldn’t get damaged when folded down.

I use the exped megamat duo. It’s incredibly comfortable. I covered the the trunk roof with a cotton mat like this (BASENOR Tesla Model 3 Rear Trunk Sound Deadening Mat Soundproof Protective Pad Audio Noise Insulation and Dampening https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081PXTLNZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_ugbZFbYYH9MN9) but ordered off of eBay for way cheaper. This is because there are some sharp bits that you catch with your legs under the rear deck and the felt cover prevents that.

I use this mattress:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJ8HX96/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's super comfortable if you take your back seat bench out. I kept it in the car unfolded for most of the journey (spent 5 nights in the car) so it takes up a lot of space. I also got all the side/back/front window covers from:

Windshield Sun Shades, Car Window Shades and Car Window Covers by HeatShield: The Original Windshield Sun Shade

They fit firmly in the windows without even using the suction cups so I turned them inside out when sleeping so my car was completely blacked out. From the outside you couldn't tell I was in there even with the lights on.

I bought the Exped Duo from Campsaver and it is on sale now https://www.campsaver.com/exped-deepsleep-mat-duo-7-5-m.html. Works great and it rolls up small enough to fit in the cargo area in the rear trunk with enough space left over to store charging equipment and adapters. Having something to block out light required if you are sensitive to light when you sleep. As others have pointed out you will be sleeping on an incline unless you take the bench seat out.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
When you guys take the bench cushion out, are you guys just putting it somewhere? I can't imagine how to keep everything in the car with luggages and cushion with the back folded down....
I had it in my entryway for the entire summer because we went on a camping trip nearly every weekend. At first, I had planned to put it in the gap between the front seats but it didn’t quite fit with the seats folded down. Since we never have rear passengers, that’s what worked for us.

I slept in my model 3 for a couple weeks using a Thermarest pad and sleeping bag however I've updated to an Exped Megamat Duo 10 it's the way to go– it easily rolls up and fits in the under trunk storage compartment and is super comfortable