Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sleepyhead's Q2 Earnings Preview

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I still don't understand is why these numbers are so different from other analysts. I think the most optimistic estimate from Wall Street is a loss of 5c share. Do they have data we don't or vice versa?

They are counting on 500 cars delivered to Europe and not realized in Q2. They cannot discount that since that is part of the guidance and they have no prove to the contrary.

We don't really have prove either, but if there is one thing that Tesla can be relied on, it is to be late at delivering something :).

Tesla also guided towards high teens gross margin including ZEV credits and I have 23.1% gross margin. This is a result of 5,200 cars delivered vs. 4,500 guidance as well, which leads to more 100% margin ZEV credits, thus the big increase percentage wise in gross margin.

Wall Street also assumes relatively high lease accounting impacts and low ASP's. At least the ones I have looked at.

- - - Updated - - -

In fairness that is because Tesla provided guidance anticipating strong takeup of lease financing and larger numbers of 60kWh sales.

I feel like a lot of the "good" news will be interpreted by some as "bad" news.
ZEV - Tesla still requires ZEV credits for profit and high margins. Won't be able to do it without ZEV
5,200 deliveries - Tesla purposefully delayed European shipments to improve their financials.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an initial drop after the report followed by a strong rise.

[/I]I am going with a 10% increase or $4.5 million since they used the word "moderate increase". SG&A has gone up 50% over last year and if you apply 10% per quarter then you will get close to that 50% increase again. Even if I modeled in a 20% increase instead of 10%, it would only impact EPS by an additional $0.03. It is also important to know at what point in the quarter did these stores and service centers open. I highly doubt that SG&A grew by more than 20% in the quarter though. The unknowns are: ZEV, R&D, and Gross Margin.

I am more worried about the impact of higher stock price and the effect on the stock-based compensation portion of GAAP earnings, but am not exactly sure what kind of impact it will have. [/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks for the great analysis, appreciate it!

Thanks for the great analysis, appreciate it!

When it is Blurry_Eyed responding to Sleepyhead I either feel like I'm on the "Can't Sleep" thread or I'm going to nod off at my desk.

Sleepyhead - thanks for the information. My model has 5300/$523m/.31 non-GAAP/.09 GAAP/.24c GM (including ZEV)....mine are lower based on conservative (and probably wrong) lease. I hope you are right and there are some additional guidance for 2013/2014/surprises (Partnerships, anyone - GM, Google, Diamler, Intellectual Property etc.)

Yawn....

They are counting on 500 cars delivered to Europe and not realized in Q2. They cannot discount that since that is part of the guidance and they have no prove to the contrary.

We don't really have prove either, but if there is one thing that Tesla can be relied on, it is to be late at delivering something :).

Really fine contribution Sleepyhead! Thanks for writing it in English and not in Street-ese. :wink:

I think it is fairly clear that Tesla realized their mistake in trying to put all those EU cars on the boat at the end of the Q, and actively changed their mind, with the intent to boost financials in the first ER after the capital raise.

It could be argued that they should have pre-announced the impact of this, but they did not. Mid-quarter guidance revisions are so rare that I think they will easily get away with it. But clearly this is the thing that completely changes the picture, even for the bullish analysts. I think some of them raised their price targets with this in mind (DB and Dougherty), but did not adjust their estimates.

What will further drive the surprise is that a lot of the "junk press" of the Street is still reporting that analysts CUT their Q2 and full year estimates in the past month.

In the end, I trust the quality of info on TMC far more than anything in the financial press. We are not just zealots (though most of us are, to be fair), but we are just much closer to the car, the factory, the user and prospective user communities, etc. On that basis, I think the probability of a repeat of last quarter's blow out is more likely than not.

Definitely night before the big game feeling here...

The key takeaway from my report is that this earnings call is about two things only:

1. Demand - Tesla has to show that demand is sustainable. IMO it will not only do that, but it will show that demand is actually growing and has exceeded their expectations. Anything over 20,000 US annualized demand will be a blowout, since it extrapolates to 50,000+ globally.

2. Gross margin roadmap - Tesla has to show that it is on track to achieve 25% GM excl. ZEV by Q4. I believe that they might be able to reach that number now even excl. GHG/CAFE credits.

Bonus:

3. Tesla is ramping up production to meet demand, which it is doing at a quicker pace than expected. This is a bonus one, because I think that by now everyone knows that production is ramping up very quickly.

If Tesla can show all of these three things then it will be a great earnings call. If you add a good Q2 beat on top of that, then you are talking about another blowout.

At this point the market is cautiously optimistic about Tesla and there is still plenty of room for the stock to run. Both Tesla and Netflix have about the same market cap at $15b-16b; and I challenge you to look at the financials of both companies before answering my following question:

If someone offered you to gift you one of the two companies (100% control of TSLA OR NFLX) as a birthday gift, which one would you choose? I think that this is probably the biggest no-brainer in the world.

If someone offered you to gift you one of the two companies (100% control of TSLA OR NFLX) as a birthday gift, which one would you choose? I think that this is probably the biggest no-brainer in the world.

That's easy for me because I don't particularly like NFLX.

The key takeaway from my report is that this earnings call is about two things only:

1. Demand - Tesla has to show that demand is sustainable. IMO it will not only do that, but it will show that demand is actually growing and has exceeded their expectations. Anything over 20,000 US annualized demand will be a blowout, since it extrapolates to 50,000+ globally.

2. Gross margin roadmap - Tesla has to show that it is on track to achieve 25% GM excl. ZEV by Q4. I believe that they might be able to reach that number now even excl. GHG/CAFE credits.

I'll be looking for 2 main things (similar to sleepyhead but just different wording):

1. Current Profit
I'm looking for profit non-GAAP, hopefully profit GAAP.
Good gross margin tracking toward 25% by year end. So, at least 13% GM w/o ZEV.

2. Guidance
Looking for them to raise guidance to 22,000... maybe 23,000.
If they can give a strong EPS for 2013 (or guide for profitable 3rd and 4th quarters), that would be awesome.

Re the 5200 and not including loaners.

It's been my impression over and over, having spoken to numerous Tesla folks, that the loaners and demo cars from stores have been selling like mad all quarter.

Does your 5200 figure take that into account?

Re the 5200 and not including loaners.

It's been my impression over and over, having spoken to numerous Tesla folks, that the loaners and demo cars from stores have been selling like mad all quarter.

Does your 5200 figure take that into account?

To be honest, I let the board consensus influence my decision to use that 5200 number. A lot of smart people here seem to think it is going to fall around 5100 or 5200.

If Tesla produced 5450 and had 100 unrecognized deliveries carried-over from Q2, that is about 5550 potential deliveries (in transit cars should offset Q1 in transit cars). Let's say 250 went to show rooms and as loaners, which leaves 5300.

These loaners are selling like mad and if I were CEO of Tesla, I would simply as many of them as possible before quarter end and replenish them first thing in Q3. Therefore, I think that a 5,400 number is a possibility but highly unlikely. Yes, this is a stupid game to play to improve your numbers, but unfortunately that is how the world works. And since Tesla is ramping up production significantly, it is not like Tesla would have to play this game for too long.

A higher stock price means more media attention, cheaper capital, free advertising etc. If I am Elon Musk and my goal is to accelerate the adoption of EV's, playing these kinds of games is a necessary evil.

Elon is going to be a living legend and I have my full faith in him. No matter what Tesla did in Q2 the results are going to be really good.

Elon is going to be a living legend and I have my full faith in him. No matter what Tesla did in Q2 the results are going to be really good.

I love when people say things can't be done because THEY can't do said things. Well, Elon is not them.

Yeah, I can't see how the results won't be really good. A couple guys at my workplace plan to buy in on TSLA after the Q2 ER on "the dip." I told them if I thought there was going to be a dip I wouldn't have bought more calls today. They looked at me like I was insane :D

There is so much excessive optimism in these forums and sleepyhead's great analysis made me buy a lot more today. Anyone care to weigh in on the following positions:

+2 $100 Aug '13 call @42.7
-1 $130 Sept '13 put @8.15
-1 $155 Sept '13 put @21.21
-1 $135 Jan '15 put @36.54
-1 $145 Jan '15 put @42.77

The last two seem like too far out to be any good. I have been selling puts instead of buying calls because the premiums are sooo high but if the stock tanks tomorrow I'll have to move fast to close these positions.

Yep, excellent contribution, Sleepyhead. I have same concern regarding #3 above. Big increases head count and new service centers and stores. Thoughts? I think your spreadsheet shows ~ 10% v Q1. I fear it may be larger.

Nice work Sleepyhead. Like others, I also think the sequential growth in operating expenses will be much larger than 10%. Elon's comment to Jerome at Teslive was something like "I told him to deliver great service... spend as much money as needed"; and even with that, the service centers still seem to be slammed. For Q2 and for the year, I expect revenue and GM to exceed expectations, but operating expenses to be higher than expected too. My $0.02.

Nice work Sleepyhead. Like others, I also think the sequential growth in operating expenses will be much larger than 10%. Elon's comment to Jerome at Teslive was something like "I told him to deliver great service... spend as much money as needed"; and even with that, the service centers still seem to be slammed. For Q2 and for the year, I expect revenue and GM to exceed expectations, but operating expenses to be higher than expected too. My $0.02.

This is my feeling as well. It is REALLY hard to contain expense growth at this stage of a scale-up, and with things this Rosy. I know Elon means to, but there is good reason to feed the tiger a bit.

How much higher do you think they are?

If they increased SG&A 17% instead of 10% then you are talking about $0.30 EPS instead of $0.32.

I still think I am being conservative on my gross margin though. Does anyone here think that gross margin on autos alone will be lower than 10%?

How much higher do you think they are?

If they increased SG&A 17% instead of 10% then you are talking about $0.30 EPS instead of $0.32.

I still think I am being conservative on my gross margin though. Does anyone here think that gross margin on autos alone will be lower than 10%?

Good perspective. I think this illustrates that the impact might not be that great. They are not (and should not) be at the point where they are finessing single pennies of EPS. If their build and ship growth supports even a few cents positive profit (like last time), and gross margin growth is strong (as you rightly emphasize), I think it is still a big win, and the market will reward them... and us!