Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slider for charge percentage not accurate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a bunch of people that charge to 80% or 90% and then project their total range at 100%.

Well, I've found out the grid lines in the display are not set to 60%, 70%, 80% or 90%. At least in my car.
Could you check in yours?

These lines are clearly set at 61%, 71%, 81% and 91% in my car.

You can test it in different ways.

The easiest way is to set the car to 90% using the App. The grid lines in the App are not distorted.

So, set the car to 90% in the App and then check in the car where is the charging line.
You may see it's well above the 90% grid line as in my car.

You can also test it by setting the car to charge to 80 or 90% (in the car's display) and then set the display to %.
I always get 81% or 91% when the charging finishes instead of the 80% or 90%.

Is this a normal behaviour shared by all cars or only by a subset?

There’s no dirty trick going on. The problem with using the slider in the car or the tesla app is that there’s no feedback other than 90% and 100%. So it’s virtually luck to get it exactly to any other percentage. You need to use an app like stats or any other app that lets you set the charge rate to a specific percentage if you want to be exact.

There’s no dirty trick going on. The problem with using the slider in the car or the tesla app is that there’s no feedback other than 90% and 100%. So it’s virtually luck to get it exactly to any other percentage. You need to use an app like stats or any other app that lets you set the charge rate to a specific percentage if you want to be exact.

Not really. The app snaps every 1%. It's not that difficult to set it to 80% exactly. Really. Try it. Then you check on the car display and it's clearly below 80%.

Not really. The app snaps every 1%. It's not that difficult to set it to 80% exactly. Really. Try it. Then you check on the car display and it's clearly below 80%.

With the car set to percentage And the latest updates you can slide the slider to a certain percentage....but there’s not feedback like 90 or 100%.

There are a bunch of people that charge to 80% or 90% and then project their total range at 100%.

Well, I've found out the grid lines in the display are not set to 60%, 70%, 80% or 90%. At least in my car.
Could you check in yours?

These lines are clearly set at 61%, 71%, 81% and 91% in my car.

You can test it in different ways.

The easiest way is to set the car to 90% using the App. The grid lines in the App are not distorted.

So, set the car to 90% in the App and then check in the car where is the charging line.
You may see it's well above the 90% grid line as in my car.

You can also test it by setting the car to charge to 80 or 90% (in the car's display) and then set the display to %.
I always get 81% or 91% when the charging finishes instead of the 80% or 90%.

Is this a normal behaviour shared by all cars or only by a subset?
Digital displays with numbers have fooled too many people into thinking that precision is the same as accuracy. If I weigh myself on a digital scale, and it says 180 lbs (that's a precise number), that doesn't mean my true weight can't be between 178 and 182 (that's accuracy). Expecting better than 1% accuracy on the charging estimate or battery remaining capacity estimate is foolish. If you get better than 2% accuracy, then give Tesla a big browny point for being careful in their algorithms. It wasn't so long ago that 2% accuracy was only expected on dedicated meters.

Not really. The app snaps every 1%.

Nope.

Mine snaps at what looks like the 100% mark and at the 90% mark, just as others have said, and does not do so at anything lower. (iOS, latest version of the app).

FWIW I seem to have the opposite issue as what's discussed here- my "snap" at 90 shows only "89%" on the left side and indeed shows the car charged to 89% when charging finishes.... this HAS changed relatively recently as that same mark for 90 used to actually be 90 and charge the car to 90.

I don't really care enough about 89 vs 90 to fiddle with it further though.

Nope.

Mine snaps at what looks like the 100% mark and at the 90% mark, just as others have said, and does not do so at anything lower. (iOS, latest version of the app).

FWIW I seem to have the opposite issue as what's discussed here- my "snap" at 90 shows only "89%" on the left side and indeed shows the car charged to 89% when charging finishes.

Yeah, I wrote it the other way around in the first post by mistake but could not edit it anymore.
It's more noticeable on 60, 70 and 80%. Thanks for your reply.

Nope.

FWIW I seem to have the opposite issue as what's discussed here- my "snap" at 90 shows only "89%" on the left side and indeed shows the car charged to 89% when charging finishes.... this HAS changed relatively recently as that same mark for 90 used to actually be 90 and charge the car to 90.

I don't really care enough about 89 vs 90 to fiddle with it further though.

Thank you nightshade for using the correct term for how the app responds at 90% and 100%. "SNAP" are you a video editor by chance?

I found this thread after noticing this phenomenon myself. I took delivery the day of the last post above. Aver since new, the app charge limit slider always snaps to 90% or 100%. As of yesterday if I change snap to 90% in the app it actually sets the charge limit to 89%. I know this is a first world problem but it is interesting non the less. Yesterday I noticed it briefly went back to normal and now today it's back to the -1% settings again. Fascinating. haha.

I'll report back if I discover the cause.