Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sliding down menu bar makes me dizzy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Commonly used doesn't imply 'good' design. On the web, popular patterns are unfortunately often the worst choice for both usability and performance. Web design profession doesn't have any quality bar or certification.

If you like this behavior it's your site, do what you like. As a user i hate it and would like a way to avoid it.

As a web professional and user, I wholeheartedly agree. I would much prefer a consistent, nav bar that doesn't show/hide when I scroll up/down. I find it far more distracting than useful.

Commonly used doesn't imply 'good' design.
Yeah, I know this. We made the choice based on what we thought was best for usability overall. It's not a matter of what we 'like'. My point about it being commonly used, is that clearly plenty of people disagree about this stuff, hence why variability exists. Google for example uses this behavior on many of its apps and they have plenty of fans of their current design direction.
An additional note on the hiding bar. As moderators, we must scroll all the way back to the top to access reports. The previous functionality was that the reports would be visible anywhere in the vertical navigation of the page. It's a bit cumbersome and my personal preference would be to float the moderation bar at the top of the display, no matter where you are in the page.
Really? I don't believe (at least in my experience) that the mod bar ever stuck to the top. I am looking at this on a test site using the old navbar and it doesn't stick while you scroll down.

Google for example uses this behavior on many of its apps and they have plenty of fans of their current design direction.

Not to say anything against this forum implementation, which I think is great, but Google is the actually the last place "we" look for inspiration in terms of UI design. By "we", I mean a group a UI designers and web application developers that I interact with. To give one example of the google UI that "we" frown upon: gmail's compose new mail window. Anyway, just want to say that Google may not be a good place to copy UI schemes from, in most cases.

Back to this bug, could a "disable" option of this sliding bar be added to the user profile?