Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sliding down menu bar makes me dizzy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, maybe not dizzy, but draws enough attention to be annoying.

On my MAC and safari, anytime I scroll down a significant distance, the second menu bar with buttons "Forums, whats new, new posts..." will slide down for half a second and slide back up. As I read the posts, this because very distracting. Anyone else seeing the same behavior?

I posted about this in the other forum update thread.. this happens when you just happen to reverse scroll even one pixel up the menu bar pops down, and then pops back up when you continue to scroll down. I suggested to Danny that the scroll up trigger limit be something like -100 or -200 pixels before popping the menu bar down, but one pixel is like a hair trigger causing this behavior. He acknowledged the issue and will look into it.

Well, maybe not dizzy, but draws enough attention to be annoying.

On my MAC and safari, anytime I scroll down a significant distance, the second menu bar with buttons "Forums, whats new, new posts..." will slide down for half a second and slide back up. As I read the posts, this because very distracting. Anyone else seeing the same behavior?

Yes same for me, it is really distracting / annoying (MacBook Pro here)

...and i don't understand / like the new logo.. just reminds me of something else, don't know what..

Good to know it is being looked into. On the Mac, it does not seem to have anything to do with reverse scrolling, unless a reverse scroll is automatically added at the end of each scroll. Here are some more detailed observation:
1) If I do a quick flick on the trackpad, the menu will slide down and up once at the end of the scroll.
2) On a long page, if I scroll down continuously with my finger on the mouse or trackpad, the menu bar will keep sliding down and up non-stop. Maybe the trackpad is sending multiple scrolling events in this scenario, but there is definite no reverse scrolling motion from the finger.

Hope this adds some more data points for Danny.

Thank you all for the observations. To clarify, the 2nd/lower navbar should not be bouncing up and down while scrolling down. It is only supposed move down a level when you begin to scroll up. At the moment any scroll up at all is set to trigger the 1st/upper navbar to move in (thereby pushing the lower navbar down). It is setup this way so as to be out of the way while reading/scrolling-down, however to be as easy to access again. @HankLloydRight was asking that this is less sensitive, which we have taken note of and will consider once we have more feedback and also determine what it would take to adjust that from a coding standpoint.

So if some of you are experience it bouncing up and down while strictly scrolling down, this is buggy behavior and must be corrected. As I cannot reproduce this on my device, I would greatly appreciate if any of you take a video/screencast of this behavior.

Thanks.

Here you go: Dropbox - screen capture.mov

The first 3 seconds shows the quick flick down. The rest shows the continuous scroll down on the trackpad.

I can replicate this behavior in Mac+Safari, but not Mac+Chrome (which I use most of the time).

more testing: This also happens on PC+Opera and PC+Firefox. But again, not PC+Chrome.

In Chrome, it happens like I described above, as soon as I stop and scroll up one pixel.

Here you go: Dropbox - screen capture.mov

The first 3 seconds shows the quick flick down. The rest shows the continuous scroll down on the trackpad.
Wow, that is terrible. Will get that fixed ASAP. Sorry you have had to put up with it, and thanks so much for taking the time to provide the video.
I can replicate this behavior in Mac+Safari, but not Mac+Chrome (which I use most of the time).

more testing: This also happens on PC+Opera and PC+Firefox. But again, not PC+Chrome.
Seems that this problem is not happening on Chrome.
In Chrome, it happens like I described above, as soon as I stop and scroll up one pixel.
Yeah, but at least that is by design.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Question for @tonglaji @scaesare @LST can you all please specify with more detail the devices you are using, the different browsers you see this behavior on (please test various browsers) and whether or not this happens only while using the trackpad to scroll versus using a mouse and/or clicking on the scroll bar.

My hunch is that this is a combination of certain trackpads registering a tiny upward motion by mistake, and a very sensitive upward trigger.

We have tested it on many devices on our end and have yet to replicate.

Question for @tonglaji @scaesare @LST can you all please specify with more detail the devices you are using, the different browsers you see this behavior on (please test various browsers) and whether or not this happens only while using the trackpad to scroll versus using a mouse and/or clicking on the scroll bar.

My hunch is that this is a combination of certain trackpads registering a tiny upward motion by mistake, and a very sensitive upward trigger.

Hi Danny i'm using MacBookPro Retina 15 inch (mid 2014) OSX Sierra 10.12.1, Browser Safari, Trackpad
It' s already much better (the scrolling) but still sort of .. unnecessary (meaning the optimizing of used screen space, or whatever you call that, sorry, english not being my first language)

with Tor Browser, the scrolling is totally different, the bar on top "vanishes" as i scroll down, just as i would expect... AND, th egood old logo of TMC reappears... whats wrong with Safari ??.. oh wait..

here's what it looks like on Tor Browser:

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-23 um 14.55.15.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-23 um 14.55.15.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 70

Danny,

It happens on both my MacBook Pro 15 (mid 2014) with trackpad, and Mac Pro (late 2013) with the Apple magic mouse. Both machine running macOS Seirra 10.12.

Safari does have Adblock installed. I tried with Adblock disabled, no difference.

Chrome does not have this behavior on either machine. I don't have Firefox installed at the moment.

Last edited:
FWIW, I'm having a similar effect with OS X 10.12.1 and Safari 10.0.1 on a MacBook Pro 13" with trackpad (Late 2013). It doesn't show with Chrome or Firefox. As an additional data point, it occurs regardless of the style chosen (Condensed/Dark/etc.) so it's unrelated to whatever CSS drives that.

One thing I noticed about the menu which fixes to the top of the page is that it only shows up when the page is first loaded. If you scroll down on a page, the menu properly scrolls to the top of the browser window. If you then click a link and then click the back button to return to the original page, the menu isn't at the top of the browser window anymore. It does show back up once you scroll. This happens on both mobile and desktop.