TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Slight burning smell when heater is on sometimes?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by hanl1, Dec 20, 2015.

1. hanl1

hanl1 Member

I have noticed for quite a while that when the heater starts blowing, sometimes there is a light smell of something burning. It doesn't last long and only seems to happen in the first couple of minutes when the heater turns on. Besides the smell I can't feel anything different as the heater still works fine (although there is no way for me to tell if it would have worked better otherwise).

It hasn't really bothered me that much but recently it's become more noticeable with more heater use as the weather here in the northeast finally decided to get colder. Any of you guys experienced the same thing? Could this be normal by any chance?

2. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

An EV has an electric heater (an ICE just heats your cabin with the wasted heat from the combustion engine). And electric heaters sometimes smell at first. It's basically the dust on the heating coils burning off :)

3. Caligula

Caligula Member

Yup, exactly the same thing that happened when I took a space heater out of storage and turned it on for the first time in 9 months.

4. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Yes, I've had this issue with my P85D since I got it a year ago. Really bad at first. It's gotten better over time, but still sometimes there. Interestingly enough, my old P85 never had this issue at all.

I also find that turning off the ionizer helps reduce the smell. Perhaps it's originating from there. Also might explain why my old P85 never had this smell - it predated the ionizer option. I just leave it off during heating season.

5. hanl1

hanl1 Member

Ahh I see. Dust .. no wonder the smell doesn't don't go away :)

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting I will play with the ionizer option to see if that makes a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad to know this is normal. Thanks for the info guys.

6. cwave1

cwave1 Member

What version of firmware are you running. As of 7.0 the heating logic changed and there is not as much fan driven air flow so the burning smell is caused by not enough air flowing over the heating elements. I have .77 and still have this problem but understand from other threads on this topic that it is fixed as of 2.9.40.

7. hanl1

hanl1 Member

Is an SC visit this only way to upgrade to 2.9.40 as of now?

8. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

The Firmware Upgrade tracker has a handful of 2.9.40 that don't state SC or Ranger: 3 WiFi, 2 3G
    The SC loaded 2.9.40 on mine today, but I of course continue to decline the update. I actually gave them written instructions not to upgrade :)

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have never had the burning smell and until it started to rain here, it was incredibly dusty. I did get a small amount of "new heater smell" when I first bought the car. But none since. Nothing like when I break out my space heaters for the winter. I use the ionizer all the time. I wonder if you have something in your environment (maybe garage) that it getting sucked in when the HVAC comes on. Cat or dog hair? Or filthy garage, um, like mine? Which I just cleaned. Yay!

10. hanl1

hanl1 Member

Nothing in particular I can think of that makes dust, but the air around the Manhattan area is simply more dusty than elsewhere :)
    It has been better this week so far, though.

11. David100

David100 Member

Hanl1,
    You'll never walk alone.
    Yes I also experience the burning smell (~first minute heater is on then fades away).
    I also guess this comes from dust, or paint, or whatever.
    I am also 'glad' to hear I am not the only one.
    If it is not something bad for the car, it doesn't bother me too much.
    My car is a 85D built in april 2015.