Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slight Fluttering Sound From Rear (21 M3P - No Mods)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just as the title says, I'm hearing a slight fluttering sound when gently accelerating in my 2021 M3P. Car is stock with the 21" Uberturbines and Pirelli P Zeros that came with the car. Sound is most noticeable between speeds of 20-40 mph. With heavy acceleration, the sound seems absent. Car has 6K miles and haven't noticed it until about a week or so ago. It doesn't sound awful, but curious if anyone has experienced this, booked a service appointment, and found the fix? Just want to make sure I'm not making it worse by driving it.

Thanks In Advance!

Check your wheel wells. If you suspect one of the panels is fluttering, try taping it. The other possibility is the under tray. Could be a missing bolt. If you don't mind laying flat on your back, you can check to see if all the bolts are there.

Reactions: Glendale MY
If you suspect one of the panels is fluttering, try taping it. The other possibility is the under tray. Could be a missing bolt. If you don't mind laying flat on your back, you can check to see if all the bolts are there.
Why would these issues only expose themselves under mild acceleration, not at high or no acceleration and not at constant speed?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Why would these issues only expose themselves under mild acceleration, not at high or no acceleration and not at constant speed?
Yeah that was kind of my thought. I did look in the wheel wells and didn't see anything suspicious. I went ahead and made a service appointment - earliest I could get is two weeks out. Car seems perfectly fine to drive, as I said, it's a very minor fluttering sound, but definitely didn't make that sound until recently, so I want it checked out.

So an update on this. The technicians at my local St. Louis service center had never come across this before but definitely said the noise was not normal. They took a look and everything looked OK. They then took a sound recording of the noise and sent it to the Tesla Engineers to listen to the frequency to help identify the problem. They recommended replacing the right rear axle to “rule that out”. It did not fix it. They are now going to replace the entire rear motor. The motor is being shipped from Chicago so I should have the car back by middle of next week. Kind of wild but hopeful this fixes the issue - I’m sure it will.

Hmmm, I've noticed this with my car up front.

When cruising with 5 to 10 percent throttle at highway speed I hear the fluttering up front. Floor the throttle or regen braking eliminates the sound.

Is that what you experienced?
Similar, but it sounds like yours might be a little different than what I experienced. Mine was also noticeable with regen braking. It was also most noticeable from around 20-40 mph and not as much at highway speeds. This was likely due to road noise more than anything else. But it was definitely a fluttering sound under light acceleration. You may want to make an appointment and have them check it out.

The new motor arrived today and was installed. The techs say the noise has been eliminated. I really can't say enough about our local St. Louis Tesla Service Center. I feel like some locations would have said "we inspected and all looks fine - the noise is within spec" and sent me on my way. These guys went to bat for me, brought the issue to the Tesla Engineers, and ultimately fixed the problem. I took the car in Thursday morning, they troubleshooted it for a few hours, worked with the engineers, got an motor shipped in from another city, and have the car fixed by Monday at noon. That's really impressive.

Yeah, my issue is definitely different. It's only at highway speeds, and only if my throttle is partially engaged to maintain highway speed. The noise goes away soon upon flooring it or regenerative braking.

Glad you got it fixed so quickly.

Yeah, my issue is definitely different. It's only at highway speeds, and only if my throttle is partially engaged to maintain highway speed. The noise goes away soon upon flooring it or regenerative braking.
Loose motor mounts? With higher torque the motor seats more firmly in the mounts in one direction or another. After all the wheels torque back on the motor and that torque is transferred to the motor casing which has to transfer it to the car's frame.

Glad you got it fixed so quickly.
For what it’s worth my car does the same…I have a service appointment first week of October to check it out. It’s only part throttle (just to keep speed at 50-75 mph) and goes away when floored or regen. Part throttle or easy throttle, it’s there…

Reactions: drpheta