TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Slight grinding noise - outside, Ac unit

Discussion in 'Model S' started by shonline, Apr 28, 2016.

1. shonline

shonline Member

Not sure where to post this... so here it goes.

Just noticed while detailing the car with door open and climate on - that when the AC powers up, I not only hear the usual sounds associated with this sort of unit, but a slight grinding noise. This is easy to hear outside the car. Putting my head into the wheel well on pax side makes it clearer.

It almost sounds as if a metal fan blade is chaffing on another piece of metal - or something that got ingested into the fan. (if that's even possible) It is not a whine (like heard on Teslatap), but is as noted above.

Can't imaging this is normal, but don't want to panic either as my nearest SC is Charlotte...

Thanks!

2. StaticDischarge

We had this or a similar problem recently on a long road trip; the noise was coming from the passenger side front and was dependent on having climate turned on. I sent a recording to the SC. They think a pebble was lodged in the fan. They suggested using compressed air (hard to find in Death Valley) through the front slats, should they be open. The problem self-resolved mostly, with a bit of noise every so often. It will be in for an annual soon, so they will have a look.

3. shonline

shonline Member

Thanks!