Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slight rattle, popping noise coming from headliner.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been chasing this noise now for a couple months. Wondering if anyone else has it. I thought it was the B pillar, but after using rattle tape on everything in there, then eventually removing the panel and driving around. The noise is coming from the headliner area above the B pillar. I can hear it happening on both sides, and if I push up on the headliner in that area, the sound goes away. Its not so much a rattle, as a faint popping noise. It is also something that has manifested over time, and was not there when new. Anyone else hear it, or find a way to fix without pulling the headliner?

I have been chasing this noise now for a couple months. Wondering if anyone else has it. I thought it was the B pillar, but after using rattle tape on everything in there, then eventually removing the panel and driving around. The noise is coming from the headliner area above the B pillar. I can hear it happening on both sides, and if I push up on the headliner in that area, the sound goes away. Its not so much a rattle, as a faint popping noise. It is also something that has manifested over time, and was not there when new. Anyone else hear it, or find a way to fix without pulling the headliner?
Same issue, same spot. Reading up on other's who have similar issues it probably is the headliner fasteners needing some TLC. Did you find a solution without taking it in?

Same issue, same spot. Reading up on other's who have similar issues it probably is the headliner fasteners needing some TLC. Did you find a solution without taking it in?
So after tearing things apart about 20 times, I figured out the sound was actually coming from the door panel. Not sure if its the same sound you are hearing, but I finally narrowed it down by removing the pillar post interior panel and driving around. I had 2 different noises coming from the door panel, one was the interior window seal. I fixed that with some rattle tape, pulled the seal, ran tape down the entire length, reinstalled seal. That solved that problem. The other I have not completely resolved... I put some rattle tape on the edge of the door panel, that helped some but not 100%. With the door open, gently push on the panel in different directions. I was able to consistently replicate the noise once I figured out where to push. For me, pushing around the upper corner near the rear of the panel would do it. I also noticed, moving the door around, like open and close but not latching. I believe there is a little tension in the door, which causes the popping noise in the door panel. Another thing to try, while driving put downward pressure on the top of door panel and see if that solves it. Be warned, taking off the panel you will have to deal with the clips, and they can be tough to get back in properly.

Looking back over what I originally wrote about putting pressure on the headliner and the sound going away. This was also putting pressure on the top of the door panel, so I was thinking it was pressure on the headliner, when in fact it was the pressure from my elbow on top of the door panel. When I was pushing on the headliner, my elbow was resting on top of the door panel so I could get more leverage.

Last edited:
BTW, I should also add, I did have a rattle in the headliner before. It was much more than a popping sound. Sounded more like a loose screw bouncing around. Mobile tech came out, said it was the safety strap for the headliner. The screw was loose allowing it the rattle. That sound was very loud, much louder that the popping in the door panel.