Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slight vibration in steering wheel above 25 MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seen several post with this situation but no specific answers. I have LR M3 with out the slight steering wheel vibration. I just hit 2200 miles and for the last 150 miles I get a small vibration in the steering wheel at speeds above 25 MPH. The car drives straight, but it feels like a small buzzing sensation. I had the wheels rebalanced at America’s tires, they said the balance was off and rebalanced all of them, but still have the vibration. It’s not the Lane Departure Warning, I turned that off the day I received the car and it’s was smooth up until 150 miles ago.

Hi, Mine isn’t a noise it’s a buzzing feeling, like holding an electric toothbrush, I feel it in my hands while holding the wheel.
Hello.
I feel the same. It depends on the temperature (exterior and battery). In my opinion this is the hvac or AC compressor (maybe gathered in one piece). For me in worst cases it generates a 43Hz frequency, which is very frustrating...

So here is an update taking it to Telsa
1. First time- they said no issue and did "courtesy balance". Still there, complained to service said bring it to lead tech.
2. Tech acknowledge did another balance, still there.
3. They actually took it to American's tire for 3rd balance (Road Force) still there
4. Went to a new Tesla Service Center, they did rotation, balance and alignment and still there.

So Frustrating, I'm thinking it's the tires? Crappy Continental Pro Contact RX?

I seen several post with this situation but no specific answers. I have LR M3 with out the slight steering wheel vibration. I just hit 2200 miles and for the last 150 miles I get a small vibration in the steering wheel at speeds above 25 MPH. The car drives straight, but it feels like a small buzzing sensation. I had the wheels rebalanced at America’s tires, they said the balance was off and rebalanced all of them, but still have the vibration. It’s not the Lane Departure Warning, I turned that off the day I received the car and it’s was smooth up until 150 miles ago.
Does it go away after 10-15 minutes on the freeway? Sometimes tires get a temporary flat spot on a cold night. Do you have the Pirelli? Had them on a different car in the past and with a perfect road force balance still vibrated on perfectly true factory wheels. Dealer wouldn't do anything under warranty and Pirelli said never had that issue. Trash the brand new set of Pirelli for Michelin and vibration went away.

So here is an update taking it to Telsa
1. First time- they said no issue and did "courtesy balance". Still there, complained to service said bring it to lead tech.
2. Tech acknowledge did another balance, still there.
3. They actually took it to American's tire for 3rd balance (Road Force) still there
4. Went to a new Tesla Service Center, they did rotation, balance and alignment and still there.

So Frustrating, I'm thinking it's the tires? Crappy Continental Pro Contact RX?
trusaleen1 it seems that I have similar problem. Did you find a solution?

trusaleen1 it seems that I have similar problem. Did you find a solution?
I don't believe there is a fix for this faint tingle type vibration felt in the steering wheel of some cars. I had a 2021 M3P that we traded out of at 600 miles because it drove us nuts and NOBODY could fix it. We tried everything!! Even took it to a brand new Ferrari dealer here and they have brand new state of the art top of the line Hunter tire/wheel diagnostic machines. They found that two of the Pirelli tires road forced so high that they were deemed defective, I was excited that this was the issue. They replaced them so I had 4 perfectly road forced and balanced tires. The vibration was still present.

The vibration was a buzzy type vibration not a steering wheel vibration common to flat spot tires or out of balance tires.

This issue is NOT a wheel or tire issue. Maybe a bearing issue?, a drive shaft issue?, a drive motor issue?, but not wheels/tires.

Thankfully my brand new 2022 M3P doesn't suffer this.

Reactions: kbalandin
I don't believe there is a fix for this faint tingle type vibration felt in the steering wheel of some cars. I had a 2021 M3P that we traded out of at 600 miles because it drove us nuts and NOBODY could fix it. We tried everything!! Even took it to a brand new Ferrari dealer here and they have brand new state of the art top of the line Hunter tire/wheel diagnostic machines. They found that two of the Pirelli tires road forced so high that they were deemed defective, I was excited that this was the issue. They replaced them so I had 4 perfectly road forced and balanced tires. The vibration was still present.

The vibration was a buzzy type vibration not a steering wheel vibration common to flat spot tires or out of balance tires.

This issue is NOT a wheel or tire issue. Maybe a bearing issue?, a drive shaft issue?, a drive motor issue?, but not wheels/tires.

Thankfully my brand new 2022 M3P doesn't suffer this.
I ordered a Model S hopefully it doesn’t have this issue like my model 3 if so I will trading it in for a BMW X6 fudge the gas prices.

2015 Model S 85D constant vibration in the steering wheel. Possible slightly bent 21 inch turbine wheels.

I have replaced upper and lower control arm bushings.
Multiple alignments
different tires
paid to have the wheels straightened since they were bent before and I still have a vibration,
Tesla says there is no vibration, but there is
Very, annoying but can’t seem to diagnose any further. Any advice would be appreciated.

2015 Model S 85D constant vibration in the steering wheel. Possible slightly bent 21 inch turbine wheels.

I have replaced upper and lower control arm bushings.
Multiple alignments
different tires
paid to have the wheels straightened since they were bent before and I still have a vibration,
Tesla says there is no vibration, but there is
Very, annoying but can’t seem to diagnose any further. Any advice would be appreciated.
I just replaced the front tires and front wheels in hopes of eliminating steering wheel vibration. No luck, still feel all vibration through steering wheel. Does anyone know if this is just the transfer of road by design of the steering system? I am all out of ideas.