TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Slightly more 'Radical' or a smaller 'Model S'...

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by nwdiver, Jan 17, 2015.

?

Should the Model 3 be...

1. a little more 'Radical'

61 vote(s)
    59.2%
  2. like a smaller Model S

42 vote(s)
    40.8%
  1. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

#1 nwdiver, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Elon's statement that they're going after something slightly 'radical' has me a little concerned about the Model 3... We REALLY need a mainstream EV and most people will view a departure from convention as 'ugly'... at least at first. The last thing we need is a LEAF-ish vehicle with Tesla badging... not that I don't like the LEAF; but most people see it as too 'radical' for their taste. Interested to see what the TMC community thinks...

2. amzng_ev

amzng_ev Member

But keep in mind all radical styling isn't like the LEAF. I hope by radically it ends up gorgeous and different in design like the i8 was to other BMWs.

3. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Hmmm... good point...

4. MarkR

MarkR Member

Something like this please for the Model 3.

TeslaEE.jpg

5. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

Isn't the Model 3 supposed to be similar in size to BMW 3-series? That looks smaller and has only two doors. And it could easily look A LOT better.

6. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

So far they've made 3 of 3 vehicles that look gorgeous. I have faith in whatever they end up making. Kinda hope it's sportier and more youthful than the S but not a "weirdmobile", as he says.

7. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

As a former DeLorean owner who lives in a tight-knit-streets city (San Francisco), I'd be delighted if the Model 3 (which I plan to buy) has two large falcon-wing doors in lieu of four traditional doors. Since it sits so much lower to the ground than X, Model 3 wouldn't run into any potential vertical clearance issues, and being able to fully open the doors with only about 12 inches of horizontal clearance away from the car (which is what the DeLorean is, and presumably about what the X will be), it'd make parking in a city much easier. Not to mention the elegance/sexiness factor.

8. Burt Court

Burt Court Member

Mark R, I like that rendition...I'd buy it
    old geezer

9. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

This is a BMW 328i:
    2012-bmw-328i-doors-open.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

If it does, then I can accept it with only 2 (or 3) doors ;)

10. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Elon implies there are two proposals within Tesla;one mainstream and one radical.

He is leaning radical but then in the next breadth says this will not be a "wierdmobile."

There is nothing radical about Roadster.

There is nothing radical about the exterior on Model S, the minimalist interior without much storage and large center touchscreen is/was radical.

The only thing radical about the exterior of Model X will be how the door opens, when door is closed it should look fairly conventional.

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Where did that come from? I like it! Radical but not a "weirdmobile" (I think that new"Elonism" has now entered the English lexicon).

12. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

A year ago Franz vH speculated we would see M3 now but that was quickly retracted and we haven't heard anything from him since. The design team has grown in size and his job has expanded to a more directorial role: "charged with driving the overall design direction of Tesla and establishing a world class design competency for all future Tesla products.". Wasn't there an image of a "smaller MS" in clay before that? When Elon says that now they don't have any drawings I wonder if some progress was made but then discarded for a fresh start. I hope Franz still has a heavy hand in the design, his styling even before TM was beautiful.

13. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

When Elon says that they don't have a design drawing of what TM3 will look like, all that means is that they have not decided on which of the drawing they will continue to work from, not that they don't have any drawings. They may even have multiple clay models for all we know...

I think this is what have happened:

Franz starts to design the Model 3. From what HE say, it will be quit different.
    Elon see all the success the Model S have, and that a lot of people wants a smaller Model S. Elon tells Franz to start with a smaller Model S. Elon tells people that it will not be all that different after all (yes, at one point he did say that)
    Franz finishes both, and show them to Elon.

NOW Elon have seen both, and likes the first design best, but has not yet decided...

14. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

I'm a very happy Prius owner, so consider the source :wink:, but I really wouldn't mind a Prius-esque design (modified for the skateboard drivetrain, of course). Very roomy, nice and maneuverable, can haul a lot of cargo -- add a frunk for the cherry on top. :smile:

15. bluenation

bluenation Member

a terrible idea, imo. prius and leaf/i3 are part of the same line of thinking: eco conscious drivers want something that screams "im eco conscious!!!" the result is ugly car

looks like the veloster.

that's not a compliment.

a good looking car is something like the 3 series. or that new CLA from benz. or the S of course, (but that's too big of course).

16. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

I'm hoping the rad part is a Super Performance Model 3 that does 0-60 in under 2.5 sec....then I don't care what it looks like!

17. Rashomon

Rashomon Member

The essential thing for the design of the Model 3 is to get the CdA down. Aerodynamic drag dominates at highway speeds, and if Tesla want's to achieve 200 miles with an affordable pack, it needs a very significant improvement over the Model S. The model 3 can't be much lower than the S, and it can't be 20 percent narrower -- ergo, the drag coefficient has to better than what is already an industry-leading number on the S. Only the original GM EV1 and VW's XL1 are substantially better.

18. Steven Loyens

Steven Loyens Member

What do you guys think of the GM Ultralite? Very Aero design and seats 4 people. And Elon could use the Falconwing door concept also.

GM-Ultralite-Concept3.jpg

Lose the engine pod design and give it a drive by stick operation.

mercedes_scl600_joystick_10.jpg

19. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Might be ok for some, but far too Rad for me...it looks inflatable...

20. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

I love it, it would be an excellent base to design Model 3 from.

Btw: the interior picture is from an another car....