Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slightly more 'Radical' or a smaller 'Model S'...

Should the Model 3 be...

• a little more 'Radical'

Votes: 61 59.2%
  • like a smaller Model S

Votes: 42 40.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly think radical will be 400+ range (base) with premium options to extend the range (as opposed to performance). Why would they want to compete with the Model S/X? Huge range + a robust Supercharger network by 2017, should put that range anxiety non-sense to bed for good...

So you think their affordable base model will come with almost double the range of the higher end Model S/X? Makes no sense.

I honestly think radical will be 400+ range (base) with premium options to extend the range (as opposed to performance). Why would they want to compete with the Model S/X? Huge range + a robust Supercharger network by 2017, should put that range anxiety non-sense to bed for good...

I think 200-250 range is plenty. Assuming most people will have a home charger, and the public/Tesla charging infrastructure will be much more mature by 2018, I don't know if a 400+ range is necessary.

Elon said during the Q4 conference that the Model 3 would not be too radical. He wants to sell a lot of them.

My sense is that Model 3 would be a "radical" change for buyers in that price range, even if it's not radical compared to the Model S. The people buying in the 35k+ price range would typically be entry-level luxury buyers (BMW 3-series, Mercedes C-class, Acura TLX) or even mainstream buyers (Accord, Camry) who do the math and see that they'd pay a lot less for electricity over the long haul than for gasoline. I have no doubt that going from an Accord to a Model 3 will probably be a mindblowing change.

The challenge is to translate everything that's great about the Model S into a less expensive package. Model S has great acceleration, superb handling, a functionally spacious interior, unique driver interface, plenty of good charging options, and Internet connectivity. That's what Model 3 should aim for. Keep it simple and sensible, and the wait list will make even Tim Cook envious.

The challenge is to translate everything that's great about the Model S into a less expensive package. Model S has great acceleration, superb handling, a functionally spacious interior, unique driver interface, plenty of good charging options, and Internet connectivity. That's what Model 3 should aim for. Keep it simple and sensible, and the wait list will make even Tim Cook envious.

The EV aspect will give it great acceleration, the skateboard pack will allow for great handling, the interior will definitely be more spacious than the average sedan, I expect it will have the tablet interface which Tesla has shown works well, and by then the Supercharger network will be fully in place with more constantly being built as needed. So I can't imagine Tesla dropping the ball as long as they stick with what has worked for them so far. I think from what we know that it is Tesla's game to lose. They will win as long as they don't blow it. The first hurdle is to reign in Elon's finicky perfectionism which could cause a delay that Tesla cannot afford. 2018 at the latest before Tesla is in real trouble. It's a double edged sword because they need Elon's finicky perfectionism to make the car as great as it needs to be. I agree, simple and sensible is a winning strategy. Appeal to as much of the world's buyers in their price category and push the strengths that an EV brings to the table.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't get your hopes up. The car will have the smallest pack possible to get 200 miles out of it in the base model. I fully expect a larger pack option for a premium price upgrade just like the Model S. Tesla wants to sell hundreds of thousands of these cars and they can't do that by losing money. I fully expect customers to pay for any premiums over and above what Tesla/Elon has already promised.

Don't get your hopes up. The car will have the smallest pack possible to get 200 miles out of it in the base model. I fully expect a larger pack option for a premium price upgrade just like the Model S. Tesla wants to sell hundreds of thousands of these cars and they can't do that by losing money. I fully expect customers to pay for any premiums over and above what Tesla/Elon has already promised.
(Emphasis mine)

Not so sure about that. Remember that one of the reasons givens for the TMS40 not to be able to use the SC network was that the pack was to small and could not utilize the charging speed of the SC'ers. So my guess is that it have the smallest pack possible to be able to do a meaningful supercharger access - and of course get over 200 miles range. Guessing at abut 50/55kWh packs in the base model.

Frankly speaking, the more I think about the Model 3, the more I simply want it to be in production earlier than expected. I really stopped caring about surprising exterior or interior design or features, since it drives me crazy that there's no choice if you're looking for a decent BEV, unless you're happy with those handicapped superslow-charging 80-mile-range BEVs in the sub 40k$ price range, the lousy competition has been having on offer so far.

I only want to get that Model 3 with 200 miles EPA range + supercharging + tech as soon as possible. I'd even put down the deposit blindly, without even a glimpse on the prototype. Seriously, Elon and JB, get out this car asap!

Elon's statement that they're going after something slightly 'radical' has me a little concerned about the Model 3...

My interpretation of this is that the Model 3 will be a bit more sporty/edgy looking than the Model S, thereby appealing to a younger demographic. The Model S design was deliberately kept very sober, so that it would appeal to the average customer in its price category—think Audi A7/A8 or Mercedes S Class. IMO, this strategy makes good sense. Simply making a mini-Model S would not match the intended market for the Model 3.

I don't think Elon has a choice, he must make it more radical because of BMW's radical designs for their EVs.

FB140066D9EEA33A2FB1DF006F2D708D_485x303.jpg
Schermata-2013-07-30-alle-14.09.22.png-638x426.jpg

I'd even put down the deposit blindly, without even a glimpse on the prototype. Seriously, Elon and JB, get out this car asap!
I'll put down whatever is asked, as soon as I can. No pictures necessary. Hopefully they will take sig deposits, so I can get a car ASAP.

As awesome as the S is, I'm just not a big car person. I've considered a BMW 3, and owned a Audi S4 (B5). I doubt I'd ever buy a BMW 5 series or an S6. I've considered buying a used Roadster (still might), but it would be a toy/summer car.

who actually likes the i3 design? It looks like a bulldog with flared nostrils.
:biggrin: You know, you're right! I almost sprayed coffee on my keyboard on that one!