Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slip Start - SR+ in snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TomTomUk

Jan 10, 2021
UK
Evening all,

I have a question about slip start and how it is intended to work. I got a bit stuck in some snow earlier this week and enabled slip start with the intention of getting myself out.

The car settings where as follows

Regen - Low
Stopping mode - Hold
SoC - about 30%

I put my foot down on the accelerator and the wheels begin spinning, the car begin to slip a little at the back so I took my foot off the accelerator. It to me about a second to realize, there was still power going to the wheels. A quick stomp on the break and they and the sliding came to a stop. While it was happening and while my foot was off the accelerator I could still hear the motor.

I found this really odd so called the roadside team, they said this is expected functionality. Is that correct will the car continue to power the wheels even after the accelerator has been lifted until I put my foot on the break? That seems dangerous.

I appreciate the wheels could have continued spinning due to lack of friction but as I was going sideways and I was in snow not just on ice I think they would have stopped way sooner. I am also very confident I hadn't accidently started TAC or cruise control.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
No idea why it would help but just for context here is how the car was immediatly before slip start.

137281906_10157400264971227_5524126871069815666_o.jpg

This is likely an artifact of the Hold stop mode issues.

At low speeds the car doesn't seem to properly understand what's going on, which is understandable. It can do weird things like reverse up a gentle hill, while in drive. By itself. There's a few accounts of this on this forum, and it happens occasionally on my driveway.

It may have been trying to "coast down" (which is needs to do actively) or something. Hard to say from here. But Hold stop mode + ice/snow = lots of little weird behaviours like this. For me that usually means it doing the opposite: locking up the rear before I've come to a complete stop.

I do not recommend using the Hold stop mode in winter conditions as a result.

At low speeds the car doesn't seem to properly understand what's going on, which is understandable. It can do weird things like reverse up a gentle hill, while in drive. By itself. There's a few accounts of this on this forum, and it happens occasionally on my driveway.

It may have been trying to "coast down" (which is needs to do actively) or something. Hard to say from here. But Hold stop mode + ice/snow = lots of little weird behaviours like this. For me that usually means it doing the opposite: locking up the rear before I've come to a complete stop.

Yeesh OK sounds like a bundle of issues then :( SC are investigating it at the moment so I may know more later this week.