Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slipping Delivery Dates for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm suffering from slipping delivery dates, and hoping for a bit of perspective on the issue:
>> On March 4 (when I placed order and paid deposit), delivery date was Late May (Model S configuration page).
>> Soon afterwards, my delivery date was Late May - June (My Tesla)
>> On April 10, my delivery date changed to June - Early July (My Tesla), so at the high end, I would get the car almost 2 months later than indicated at time of order.
>> Also on April 10, the Model S configuration page quoted a delivery date of Late June for new orders being placed now 5 weeks after my order, but still giving them a delivery date as good as mine and potentially better.
*** Is this sort of thing unusual or typical?
*** What if anything can be done (other than speaking to delivery experience person)?
*** No communication received from Tesla on any of these slides.
*** Thoughts???

Last edited:
Same thing with me, previous delivery date was May-June, but now June-July. My car was already in the queue for production that was supposed to have started early this month but I got a message that it will not actually start until late this month but that my delivery window will not change because of improved shipping time from the US to Australia. But then I saw the slip in delivery dates.

Normally, I know what I would do and what I would advise you to do. But ... you are now on a course, RichardMcN, that is far, oh so very far, from 'normally'.

Hop on, hang on and enjoy the ride! :confused:

Reply from Tesla is that the production schedule moves around all the time for a ton of different reasons and that as they’re all custom orders, they have to get shuffled around to make it more efficient for the factory to build more cars overall. Also delivery dates on the Model S configuration page (which your expectations are based on when you order) should not be relied on as that page can be slow to update, so officially I have only lost a week in the system. No speculation on future products.

So I think I'll take your advice Apal. (Don't know where Scott's Head is but good you enjoyed the drive!)

I'd very surprised if they delivered cars different to what was ordered without consultation, regardless of what changes they may be about to make. I know there have been reports of cars including consoles etc, but not sure how reliable they are and that's also not quite the same league as getting a completely revised exterior or interior.

Also this:
Tesla Model S may get 'Bioweapon Defense Mode' and 100kWh battery option this week

My Comments:

1. 100KWH Battery - Any larger battery would always be nice, but for the most part - completely unnecessary. That is, considering that Superchargers are placed 200km apart - any additional battery in those circumstances is useless.

2. Biodefence mode - Really? For China maybe - did you see the smog around the Beijing Olympics? Our harbour tunnel ain't that long.

3. LED Headlights - Now that is something I would definitely like to retrofit. I had LED headlights on my old old Prius 3rd Gen iTech. And they were unreal back then. I was extremely surprised that Tesla was still using something else. And have they dimmed them for Australia or something? Because they aren't that bright anyway. But the LED headlights on the Prius were super bright and I loved them. The high beam however were not LEDs but ordinary light bulbs. Don't know what Tesla intends to do about high beam.

4. Interior modifications - I have learned to live without door pockets. Truth is, my wife would only stuff them with junk anyway. Women see cars as an extension of their handbag and fill it with crap. I like the minimalist approach. When I bought my Tesla - I didn't think much of the interior leather upgrade for a whopping 6K (and soft LED lighting). But that was before I realised just how much I would actually love the Tesla. Now I do regret a little not getting that option because the leather-look-alike-plastic is really crappy.

5. New nose cone - Well bring it on, I guess. I haven't been too unhappy with the existing Model S nose cone. I would not be in a hurry to care too much about that. Have people worked out how to close the bonnet with one hand and one knee when you are holding something in the other hand? I'd love a power liftgate for the bonnet of course - but who's complaining.

Reply from Tesla is that the production schedule moves around all the time for a ton of different reasons and that as they’re all custom orders, they have to get shuffled around to make it more efficient for the factory to build more cars overall. Also delivery dates on the Model S configuration page (which your expectations are based on when you order) should not be relied on as that page can be slow to update, so officially I have only lost a week in the system. No speculation on future products.

So I think I'll take your advice Apal. (Don't know where Scott's Head is but good you enjoyed the drive!)
US orders take priority. They make RHD cars in batches when there are enough to make. I ordered my car last year. Two months later they announced ludicrous. Ludicrous cars were made and delivered all over the US, and mine still was nothing more than a deposit with a number attached. In my opinion, this is an issue that tesla will need to resolve to become a large, mass market manufacturer.
But throughout that time James (melb) kept me informed quite well, and we played a quaint game of 'guess the boat'. Looking back, it was an experience that no other brand offers.

Also this:
Tesla Model S may get 'Bioweapon Defense Mode' and 100kWh battery option this week

My Comments:

3. LED Headlights - Now that is something I would definitely like to retrofit. I had LED headlights on my old old Prius 3rd Gen iTech. And they were unreal back then. I was extremely surprised that Tesla was still using something else. And have they dimmed them for Australia or something? Because they aren't that bright anyway. But the LED headlights on the Prius were super bright and I loved them. The high beam however were not LEDs but ordinary light bulbs. Don't know what Tesla intends to do about high beam.

5. New nose cone - Well bring it on, I guess. I haven't been too unhappy with the existing Model S nose cone. I would not be in a hurry to care too much about that. Have people worked out how to close the bonnet with one hand and one knee when you are holding something in the other hand? I'd love a power liftgate for the bonnet of course - but who's complaining.

I totally agree with LED headlights, I had a Prius 3rd Gen iTech as well that I drove for 5 years before buying the Volt. I also LOVED the dynamic cruise control and used it everyday. Really looking forward to autopilot. :)

I'm cautiously optimistic about the possibility of a new nose cone. I initially did not like the nose of the model X and the 3 but have now come to like them. Who knows, I may come to love them the more I look at them. :)

image.jpeg