Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slipping Delivery Dates for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they are going to upgrade for free to 75D then I am more than happy to wait a few more weeks before delivery. :)
Last time they did something like that... They cleverly gave the customer the upgraded battery but they limited its performance through software. They then left it open to the customer to pay Tesla the difference between the old battery and the new for the software unlock on the battery.

Talk about mixed feelings.

Last time they did something like that... They cleverly gave the customer the upgraded battery but they limited its performance through software. They then left it open to the customer to pay Tesla the difference between the old battery and the new for the software unlock on the battery.

I drove one of those; it was limited unless the Nav indicated that we needed more charge than the limit from the supercharger - in that case, it allowed the larger charge.

I emailed my DS, looks like you are correct. Here is the reply.

"We’ve just found out that your Model S is going to have the option to upgrade via firmware to the 75kWh battery pack. We don’t have official Australian pricing yet, but you’ll be able to do it before or after delivery. The US price will be $3250, but our Sales team will have a call campaign to confirm with you once pricing is out."

"We’ve just found out that your Model S is going to have the option to upgrade via firmware to the 75kWh battery pack. We don’t have official Australian pricing yet, but you’ll be able to do it before or after delivery. The US price will be $3250, but our Sales team will have a call campaign to confirm with you once pricing is out."

Question is will Tesla attempt to claim the benefit of the Luxury Car Tax or give it to you. In other words - will they charge you 35% more after delivery to unlock it or not.

I drove one of those; it was limited unless the Nav indicated that we needed more charge than the limit from the supercharger - in that case, it allowed the larger charge.

Sounds like that extra 5kWh can be used as a reserve then. I wonder if Tesla will disable that feature. I guess one advantage if you have a 75kWh pack and are only allowed to use 70kWh then, even if you charge to "100%," you will never really fully charge the pack.

Sounds like that extra 5kWh can be used as a reserve then. I wonder if Tesla will disable that feature. I guess one advantage if you have a 75kWh pack and are only allowed to use 70kWh then, even if you charge to "100%," you will never really fully charge the pack.

Excellent point. You should charge to the pretend 100% or 95% every time (according to the software that it) when in fact, the battery is not being fully charged. I had not thought of that.

Based on above then is the logo on the back initially 70D or 75D as it leaves the factory. If was 70D would they issue you a new badge if you paid the extra for 75 upgrade?

Got the call yesterday and my build has been delayed possibly 3 weeks due to parts shortage. Was scheduled for end June/early July. Woke to news of possible S 75D on the way. If they build in RHD batches then assume they batch also in battery size and the 90s go first. My VIN number is actually lower than was posted above and is in the 132### range so the VIN does not appear to be sequential as vehicle is built but as allocated? I ordered mine earlier this year but bumped for a June 30 target delivery.

What's the chances of receiving a 75D instead of the 70D I ordered? Has anyone ever received a bonus bigger battery?
When tesla went from 85 to 90 they charged for the upgrade for around 5 months before dropping the 85.
VIN has nothing to do with build time.

I wonder if 75kwh would give better 0-60?

I think it will be better, but only slightly. My understanding with the battery packs is that to get a larger kWh capacity they add another pack in series ending up with higher total voltage. I could be mistaken here. I do know the 85kWh has a higher total voltage compared to the 70kWh. Does anyone know if the 90kWh has a higher voltage than the 85?

Looks like your famous bro....

Tesla Model S 75D (75 kWh) Can Be 'Unlocked' via Firmware Update

Maybe those three or four above who made it into production should check. I'm in transit after 7 days in production!

Transit.png