Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slipping in highway during winter - Regenerative driving problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving my 2020 Y in upstate NY in the highways everyday to work. This is my second season driving in highways everyday to work. I have snow tires. But this year, my 2020 Y is beginning to wobble and slide even small amount of ice and snow intermittently. I checked my tires still has a lot of good tread life left.

After paying attention to when this happens, I notice that this is happening "ONLY" when I take the foot off the brake to slow down for the ice/slush or snow.

So after a process of elimination, this appears to be due to regenerative braking. So the standard safety driving practice of take your foot off the accelerator and do not brake cannot be applied to Y, because as soon as you take the foot off the accelerator, Y automatically starts to apply regen braking causing the skid.

It is dangerously slippery in the throughways, when trying to adjust to snowy roads, beginning to get scary. Happens in city driving too.

I had my regen braking on standard settings. I changed it to low settings today during my drive. I hope this helps.

Anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions?

Just like an ICE, either standard or automatic transmission, there is some compression braking when you release the accelerator. Sometimes you need to ease up on the accelerator without releasing it completely.
When slowing to a stop on compact snow and ice, shift to neutral so there is no driving force (like from an automatic transmission, or with your Tesla in "creep" mode) or braking force (from compression braking or regen) on any wheels, and brake gently to brake evenly and come to a complete stop.
And remember the two most important parts of safe winter driving are 1) the driver (slow down, turn around, don't go at all), and 2) tires (all season "snow tires" just don't cut it when compared to real snow tires.)

Reactions: sleepydoc
Watch the first minute of this video, I think Tesla should make an update to have an option to shut down regenerative braking completely.
You can’t blame regen braking for that. 1. Driving too damn fast for conditions. 2. When hydroplaning you should keep
Steady on throttle (given there is regen) as letting off throttle in a panic would be like slamming on the brakes.

To OP: tires wear out with age and not just tread wear. older tires may be less pliable in addition to the reduced depth of
Tread. Remember all tires are given their snow capability based on tire being brand new. They degrade following that.

Can you use studded tires if the state allows? Given its ice you’re dealing with, that may be the solution. Rubber is only so grippy on ice.

In my relatively limited driving on deep-ish snow, I've also found that you need to feather the accelerator just like you should do in normal dry driving. And 'all or nothing' reactions in snow and ice are bad, and perhaps exacerbated by the regen in our cars, but driving in snow certainly requires more attention, as I'm sure the OP, who appears to be in the Rochester area, certainly knows (as do I having lived in NE and UNY for many years and the Rochester area for almost 4). The fact that you can dial down the regen is great, my car doesn't have that option.

I have been driving my 2020 Y in upstate NY in the highways everyday to work.

I had my regen braking on standard settings. I changed it to low settings today during my drive.
I too have a 2020 MY. I’ve never seen regen adjustability on any software update I’ve had since delivery back in September (about five updates since then). What software version are you on that has adjustable regen?!

Just like an ICE, either standard or automatic transmission, there is some compression braking when you release the accelerator. Sometimes you need to ease up on the accelerator without releasing it completely.
When slowing to a stop on compact snow and ice, shift to neutral so there is no driving force (like from an automatic transmission, or with your Tesla in "creep" mode) or braking force (from compression braking or regen) on any wheels, and brake gently to brake evenly and come to a complete stop.
And remember the two most important parts of safe winter driving are 1) the driver (slow down, turn around, don't go at all), and 2) tires (all season "snow tires" just don't cut it when compared to real snow tires.)
Exactly this. In an ice car you learn to brake gently in slippery conditions. In a car with regenerative braking this equates to feathering the accelerator and letting off gently. Same concept, different technique.

Snow tires will help, too. The MY has fairly wide tires which give good handling in the summer but tend to act like skis in the winter.

Reactions: Scottupnorth
The other thing I've noticed is that it will feel a little slip but ride it out - it corrects itself fairly quickly but for that second or 2 it can cause a panic if you're not used to it. It will adjust braking to regain traction and I've never had an actual slip or spin go out of control or go "too far". I often will purposefully slide the rear out when going around turns and the moment I let off, the car will snap around.

I have been driving my 2020 Y in upstate NY in the highways everyday to work. This is my second season driving in highways everyday to work. I have snow tires. But this year, my 2020 Y is beginning to wobble and slide even small amount of ice and snow intermittently. I checked my tires still has a lot of good tread life left.

After paying attention to when this happens, I notice that this is happening "ONLY" when I take the foot off the brake to slow down for the ice/slush or snow.

So after a process of elimination, this appears to be due to regenerative braking. So the standard safety driving practice of take your foot off the accelerator and do not brake cannot be applied to Y, because as soon as you take the foot off the accelerator, Y automatically starts to apply regen braking causing the skid.

It is dangerously slippery in the throughways, when trying to adjust to snowy roads, beginning to get scary. Happens in city driving too.

I had my regen braking on standard settings. I changed it to low settings today during my drive. I hope this helps.

Anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions?
Lucky you with your standard and low settings. I hate that Tesla took those away from us. If I lived in an area that got more snow I would invest in the Abstract Ocean "SEXY" buttons so I could adjust regen strength.

Also, the reason your snow tires are not as good this year... the first few 32's of an inch of tread on snow tires have a different compound than the rest of the tread that has incredible grip on ice and snow but is to "squishy" to use for the rest of the tread block... if that first few 32's of and inch of tread are worn down that explains why your experience this year is different from when the snow tires were new.

Keith

Reactions: tm1v2
I thought I read (or maybe it was just wishful thinking on someone's part) of a "snow mode" which included reduction in regen. Is that the case?

There is a Model 3 Performance guy out there with a video about his "snow mode" where he uses track mode to adjust all of his parameters to optimize snowy conditions driving. Sadly since we don't have track mode we can not emulate him.

Keith

Presuming that Teslas are equipped with a decent ABS system (not a given, I suppose in that they've screwed up long standard features like rain-sensing wipers and cruise control), you should be able to hit the brakes and activate it to achieve a safe stop in a reasonably straight line on ice and snow. It's one of the most amazing technologies to appear since I learned to drive on icy back roads in Ohio many decades ago.

Reactions: Headache
In a panic situation in slick conditions (lift foot off accelerator, hit brakes) regen definitely makes things worse. Wish I could find a link, but I have read that in a recent update there seems to be an automatic shift of regen braking from 20:80 rear bias to 50:50. This seems to help.

Tesla's philosophy is "All Input is Error," meaning that they want the car to do things for you and if you have to make adjustments they haven't done their job.

We all know that they aren't perfect at that yet.

My plan is to get S3XY Buttons so that I can reduce regen in severe slip situations.

In a panic situation in slick conditions (lift foot off accelerator, hit brakes) regen definitely makes things worse. Wish I could find a link, but I have read that in a recent update there seems to be an automatic shift of regen braking from 20:80 rear bias to 50:50. This seems to help.

Tesla's philosophy is "All Input is Error," meaning that they want the car to do things for you and if you have to make adjustments they haven't done their job.

We all know that they aren't perfect at that yet.

My plan is to get S3XY Buttons so that I can reduce regen in severe slip situations.
Regen bias is 100:0. All of the regen is on the rear axle only. This is one of the things that causes so many problems with strong regen in slippery conditions.

Keith

Reactions: dzajic and mswlogo
Regen bias is 100:0. All of the regen is on the rear axle only. This is one of the things that causes so many problems with strong regen in slippery conditions.

Keith
I think maybe you are right that at low speeds the ratio is 100, however, I have read (and I have no expert experience) that the front is capable of regen, and as I mentioned, a recent update shifts that to more under slippery conditions. Here is someone's graph I found showing some front regen. Thank you for the additional information.

1645115180620.png

Reactions: Alan903
Just drove from Denver to Vail on the stock Conti tires. Winter storm warning was in effect. Got super lucky in that I missed the storm and it was mostly dry/wet in route. Getting the Sotto 3's mounted tomorrow. Crises adverted, but these stock tires really suck on snow.

Anyone running the Michelin 4 season tires in the winter? 19"? Trying to plan for a good all season/4 season tire to run in the summer since we occasionally get dumped on in May and September.