Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slipping in highway during winter - Regenerative driving problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you tried Off Road Assist ?

I tried it while stuck on a hill in my neighborhood with stock tires. No dice. Car wouldn't move. I backed up and then hit the spot with some speed and I was fine. I was trying to recreate what it would be like to get stuck in traffic on something steep with the stock tires. Neither the slip start or off-road option made any difference. Looking forward to trying this car out today here in Eagle as we just received 6 inches of fresh snow and the snow tires are getting mounted at my house at 11am!

We need a snow mode that dramatically reduces regen, and that will satisfy 90% of Tesla users, but what I really want is the full software unlock of the Performance (as in M3Ps track mode) so I can adjust power delivery front and rear to make a “front wheel drive” snow car!

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
We need a snow mode that dramatically reduces regen, and that will satisfy 90% of Tesla users, but what I really want is the full software unlock of the Performance (as in M3Ps track mode) so I can adjust power delivery front and rear to make a “front wheel drive” snow car!
I have a set of S3XY Buttons waiting to be installed on my Y when it arrives for exactly this.

I tried it while stuck on a hill in my neighborhood with stock tires. No dice. Car wouldn't move. I backed up and then hit the spot with some speed and I was fine. I was trying to recreate what it would be like to get stuck in traffic on something steep with the stock tires. Neither the slip start or off-road option made any difference. Looking forward to trying this car out today here in Eagle as we just received 6 inches of fresh snow and the snow tires are getting mounted at my house at 11am!
No traction control mode(s) are able to fully compensate for the wrong tires IME.

I have a set of S3XY Buttons waiting to be installed on my Y when it arrives for exactly this.
My concern with these expensive buttons is you're basically 1 OTA update away from bricking any of the hidden functionality modes they expose. Exhibit a - the passenger lumbar support nerf in the latest update.

Reactions: outdoors and DrGriz
Wasn't aware of that issue. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Yup. Tesla has a history of NERFing any aftermarket items sometimes by accident, sometimes on purpose, then you need to get an update from the aftermarket part maker to combat Tesla's actions. If this happened with the S3XY buttons Abstract Ocean would come up with an update, but for a while your buttons may loose function.

Keith

Yup. Tesla has a history of NERFing any aftermarket items sometimes by accident, sometimes on purpose, then you need to get an update from the aftermarket part maker to combat Tesla's actions. If this happened with the S3XY buttons Abstract Ocean would come up with an update, but for a while your buttons may loose function.

Keith
I think that as long as the effect of the button is completely reversable, which they say it is, there's no harm in having the function to reduce/turn off RB. Sounds like the worst that could happen is it wouldn't work, and there we are.

Best situation is a Tesla Snow Mode we can toggle.

Keith
You're making some assumptions that Tesla only changes this in the UI by not exposing the setting anymore. They could just as easily nuke the API (ODB2 information I think?) associated with controlling regen. There's no update Abstract Ocean could do that would restore the functionality in this scenario.

Reactions: outdoors and tm1v2

Tesla partially fixed the issues. The car at least splits power more effectively between front and rear wheels in AWD cars after it has detected slippage and for "about 5 minutes" afterward. But we have no control over that.

On RWD cars, there is obviously no change. It would be nice to be able to manually engage the "snow mode" discovered by TeslaBjorn.

More concerning to me is a lack of ability to control regenerative braking in cars built since October 2020. I can control it in my older Model 3, but my wife's newer Model Y does not have the function.

Reactions: tm1v2
It would certainly be nice to be be able to control it, or even have some indication when it is engaged. I wonder which SW update provided this? I don't recall 'snow mode' (which may be Bjorn's name for it) being reflected in any recent update.

My highlander and 4Runner wouldn’t have had an issue. With that said, about to try it with proper tires!
I was pleasantly surprised at how well the stock Highlander tires did on snow a month ago (2021 Platinum) . I'm also fairly confident they are a far better tire for snow than the 19" Conti stocks on your MYLR, which are oriented for low rolling resistance, and give up traction under adverse conditions.

Put the same Conti shoes on the Highlander and repeat your test.

Anyone running the Michelin 4 season tires in the winter? 19"? Trying to plan for a good all season/4 season tire to run in the summer since we occasionally get dumped on in May and September.
I have 19" Mich PSAS4's as my "winter" tires here in PA as swap outs for the stock MYP summer performance 21" set. I could easily run them all year, they are great.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that they fix this problem with an update and "snow mode" if not soon, certainly by next winter.

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
I have 19" Mich PSAS4's as my "winter" tires here in PA as swap outs for the stock MYP summer performance 21" set. I could easily run them all year, they are great.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that they fix this problem with an update and "snow mode" if not soon, certainly by next winter.
I doubt it - they have higher priorities at the moment.....

My concern with these expensive buttons is you're basically 1 OTA update away from bricking any of the hidden functionality modes they expose. Exhibit a - the passenger lumbar support nerf in the latest update.

Thank you for the link and information. So nothing in there makes it look like S3XY buttons would cause an issue like that, unless I missed it. It was more a hardware issue and Tesla not supporting the passenger lumbar support for a given vehicle.

My google search as well as a search in here (I may be wrong, don't misunderstand) came up with no issues related to them. The folks who make them assure me that they won't brick anything. I would love to see any report of a problem generated by them.