Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slipping in highway during winter - Regenerative driving problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're making some assumptions that Tesla only changes this in the UI by not exposing the setting anymore. They could just as easily nuke the API (ODB2 information I think?) associated with controlling regen. There's no update Abstract Ocean could do that would restore the functionality in this scenario.

Controlling regen is an integral part of track mode in the Model 3, and it is part of the early model Y and Model 3 that have "standard" and "Low" regen options. So, they can't nuke it completely without getting ride of the "standard or low" option the early cars have. Even if they chose to get ride of standard and low regen on the early cars they would have to diverge the MY code further from the M3 code in order to keep track mode on the Model 3. They could do this if they had a good reason... I don't see a good reason to go to that much work... and also, if they went to all this work to get ride of regen adjustability on the model Y they would be admitting that they have no intention of giving MYP track mode.

Keith

On that note:

🤔
LOL, based on a two letter reply "OK" from Elon when asked about the possibility of track mode for people who purchased acceleration boost. That entire story is making rock soup out of a throw away two letter twitter reply from Elon!

Elon promised track mode for the MYP years ago... we are still waiting.

Keith

LOL, based on a two letter reply "OK" from Elon when asked about the possibility of track mode for people who purchased acceleration boost. That entire story is making rock soup out of a throw away two letter twitter reply from Elon!

Keith
A girl can dream, can't she? :D

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
Controlling regen is an integral part of track mode in the Model 3, and it is part of the early model Y and Model 3 that have "standard" and "Low" regen options. So, they can't nuke it completely without getting ride of the "standard or low" option the early cars have. Even if they chose to get ride of standard and low regen on the early cars they would have to diverge the MY code further from the M3 code in order to keep track mode on the Model 3. They could do this if they had a good reason... I don't see a good reason to go to that much work... and also, if they went to all this work to get ride of regen adjustability on the model Y they would be admitting that they have no intention of giving MYP track mode.

Keith
I'm only pointing out the probability != 0 that changes permanently break anything sniffing and injecting ODB2 .

@Fourdoor Interesting, I didn't know that before your post. A quick search turned up this tweet, is this what you're referring to?

I'm with you on all of this...it's all Elon speak of "yes we could do that." Which is a far cry from any commitment to actually prioritize it and make it happen.

S Plaid Track Mode was released "only" half a year after the car. I think if the relevant teams at Tesla had any intention to bring Track Mode to the MYP it would've happened by now, it would've been easier than Plaid Track Mode which involved the new tri motor setup.

I would bet money - not my life savings, just some real money - that no MYP sold to date will ever get Track Mode from Tesla. Frankly I think it's more likely that eventually someone not working for Tesla manages to hack M3P Track Mode into working on an MYP. Whether it's feasible to turn that into an aftermarket product/service is another story...probably more likely to be a one-off thing, with real tradeoffs like never getting an OTA from Tesla again.

More likely still is eventually seeing something like the MPP Party Box for the Model Y, that defeats the nannies (even more extensively than Track Mode) but probably won't offer the full customization of Track Mode.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Corndart
So after a process of elimination, this appears to be due to regenerative braking. So the standard safety driving practice of take your foot off the accelerator and do not brake cannot be applied to Y, because as soon as you take the foot off the accelerator, Y automatically starts to apply regen braking causing the skid.
So you need to ease off the accelerator slowly .. that's the nature of 1-pedal driving. The point of the "foot off" rule (which also, btw, does NOT apply to stick shifts for similar reasons) is to allow the car to roll with the snow to maintain grip .. which with regen means easing back gently, just as you ease forward gently when you want to speed up :)

So you need to ease off the accelerator slowly .. that's the nature of 1-pedal driving. The point of the "foot off" rule (which also, btw, does NOT apply to stick shifts for similar reasons) is to allow the car to roll with the snow to maintain grip .. which with regen means easing back gently, just as you ease forward gently when you want to speed up :)

Soooooo, what you are saying is we need a clutch pedal! :D

Keith

OMG .. patent it at once!!! :)
Already exists in the form of the S3XY buttons, set one of the buttons to reduce regen to zero and put it on the dead pedal :)

Keith

PS: In reality of course the car senses the locked wheels and reduces regen almost instantly to compensate all on it's own... we are just spoiled and don't like that momentary skid before the wheels start turning again.

Already exists in the form of the S3XY buttons, set one of the buttons to reduce regen to zero and put it on the dead pedal :)

Keith

PS: In reality of course the car senses the locked wheels and reduces regen almost instantly to compensate all on it's own... we are just spoiled and don't like that momentary skid before the wheels start turning again.
No, the car should use high-powered forward facing lasers to melt the snow in front of the wheels .. and also get rid of any annoying pedestrians/dogs etc that get in the way. :)

We are just spoiled and don't like that momentary skid before the wheels start turning again.

A 1-second lockup of the rear wheels when slowing on an icy downhill turn (like eastbound I-94 entering St. Paul going under Wabasha bridge) can get you passed by your own rear end.

I think it's fair to say that you have to not yank your foot off the accelerator in any car (especially FWD... Bolt in L mode was bad!). But it sounds like (due to regen) new Tesla users need to drive "better" than they did in their Rav4, to avoid spinning-out while slowing+turning on ice. I think Tesla is better than that. Per TeslaBjorn's videos, the Volvo EVs maintain traction on deceleration through turns better than Tesla (at the cost of efficiency). I don't see a need for Tesla to play second fiddle to Volvo on this. I really don't care about efficiency on in-metro driving on ice. Not saying Tesla is bad; just that it's not the best EV for this, and could improve.

Reactions: tm1v2
A 1-second lockup of the rear wheels when slowing on an icy downhill turn (like eastbound I-94 entering St. Paul going under Wabasha bridge) can get you passed by your own rear end.

I think it's fair to say that you have to not yank your foot off the accelerator in any car (especially FWD... Bolt in L mode was bad!). But it sounds like (due to regen) new Tesla users need to drive "better" than they did in their Rav4, to avoid spinning-out while slowing+turning on ice. I think Tesla is better than that. Per TeslaBjorn's videos, the Volvo EVs maintain traction on deceleration through turns better than Tesla (at the cost of efficiency). I don't see a need for Tesla to play second fiddle to Volvo on this. I really don't care about efficiency on in-metro driving on ice. Not saying Tesla is bad; just that it's not the best EV for this, and could improve.
While I agree it is nice if the car can do as much as it can to overcome your lack of driving skill, as you suggest, I really feel like having the right tires largely takes care of this problem. I drive icy downhill turns almost daily for 6 months a year. Putting studded Hakks on my Y completely changed things in that regard.

Gotta wear the right shoes for the occasion.

I’ve noticed that city speeds stopping on ice is *easier* with regen than normal brakes, maybe because of the rear bias of the former? (Inductions & stock tires.)

I’ve noticed that city speeds stopping on ice is *easier* with regen than normal brakes, maybe because of the rear bias of the former? (Inductions & stock tires.)
I haven't had a RWD since a Volvo 264 in the 80s-early 90s, but my recollection is that engine braking-induced skids were more controlled, more correctable. Front wheel drive plus front-bias braking is the worst of both worlds. So yeah, Tesla's rear bias should be better than a front bias. It's more like a RWD car with automatic transmission, set in "D3": the engine braking is nicely at the rear, but is maybe stronger than desirable on ice. If you modulate when lifting your foot, it's fine, but this is something that new EV drivers would need to learn.

Now that I have a few thousand miles crossing northern Minnesota, Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, including freezing sleet, I'm going to amend this and say the Y (with new Blizzaks) is great... maybe the best I've deiven on ice. Maybe the Volvo Recharge is better (don't know) but I think this is better than a gas XC90.

There is one thing that is worse: I don't dare use cruise, because some of the unexpected slowdown events are way more than can be tolerated on ice. Driving from Duluth to Mackinaw without TACC leaves me hurting for a couple days.

Reactions: DrGriz