Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slipstream Bracket Knockoffs on eBay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm probably late to the game (and I know people on this forum love SnapPlate and Quick Bandit), but has anyone used the various Slipstream Bracket knockoffs that are currently available on sites like eBay and Aliexpress? If so, curious to know what people think of these particular knockoffs, given they are are a fraction of the cost of the Slipstream, SnapPlate, Quick Bandit (and Ottoplate).

For example, see here, here, and here.

I'm probably late to the game (and I know people on this forum love SnapPlate and Quick Bandit), but has anyone used the various Slipstream Bracket knockoffs that are currently available on sites like eBay and Aliexpress? If so, curious to know what people think of these particular knockoffs, given they are are a fraction of the cost of the Slipstream, SnapPlate, Quick Bandit (and Ottoplate).

For example, see here, here, and here.

I bought one off Aliexpress and it works great for $18

Reactions: JLOC
Thank you for the response. Is it easy to put together, and is it easy to install/remove? Can you lock it in place with a hex? Also, does it touch any part of the bumper/cause any damage to the paint?

Most importantly, regardless of the price, do you have any complaints?

The Aliexpress post I bought mine from had a short video on how to assemble so it was smooth assembly/installation, does not touch bumper, and no complaints.

I used to pay ~$65 for tow hook license plate brackets for various BMWs so $18 was a no brainer.

The Aliexpress post I bought mine from had a short video on how to assemble so it was smooth assembly/installation, does not touch bumper, and no complaints.

I used to pay ~$65 for tow hook license plate brackets for various BMWs so $18 was a no brainer.
Thank you for the response. Based on your experience, I may give this a try in the off-chance we take the car to places that are stricter about front license plates.

Last question (that I can think of) - can you lock the bracket so that it won't get stolen?

I have one of those AliExpress ones.

The difference between them is the one that looks like it, the expensive one actually swivels left and right then gets locked into place.

The cheaper AliExpress one goes front and back and locks into place.

In the end it's gets locked into place, not as easy but once it's in it's in. I just had mines on for a 1500 mile road trip.

• Informative
This is the least expensive one I could find (of the same model in the eBay and Aliexpress links above) — 8.86US $ 55% OFF|Front License Plate Holder for Tesla Model 3/Y 2017 2021(US) Free Perforation Metal License Plate Frame Car Accessories| | - AliExpress

I would much rather buy 7 of these for $20 than one "name brand" one for $140. I don't think it will come to that, though.
I don't understand why that one is advertised as being $8.86. When I select the Model Y, it shows up as $19.33. This one is $16.93. When I sorted by number of orders, this one sells for $18.35.

Reactions: Mgritts
Thank you for the response. Based on your experience, I may give this a try in the off-chance we take the car to places that are stricter about front license plates.

Last question (that I can think of) - can you lock the bracket so that it won't get stolen?
If someone wants to steal it, they better have 10 minutes and correct sized allen wrenches on hand, definitely not a snatch and grab.

Curious, are these also "quick release" like the snapplates and quick bandits or once they're on, they're on?
Nearly a month later, I finally received the one I purchased from eBay. The printed instructions are terrible, but I found a listing from Aliexpress that shows you how to put it together.

To answer @Suspendmix's question, no, these are not quick release like Snapplate or Quick Bandit, but it only takes a few minutes to install and remove it. As @Spam2Yam mentioned, the top hooks on the more expensive Slipstream actually swivel from side-to-side, and this is how the top hooks secure to the vent.

On the Aliexpress/eBay ones, the top hooks don't swivel at all. Instead, there is a screw that secures the top and bottom hooks. If you keep that screw loose, the bottom hooks will swivel. You then secure the top hooks by just pushing it in, and hooking it around a vertical piece of the vent. Once you've done that, you swivel the bottom piece into place, and then you need an allen wrench to tighten, so that the bottom piece will no longer swivel. At this point, the license plate frame is quite secure.

To remove the license plate frame, all you need to do is loosen that bolt holding the top and bottom hooks in place, at which point the bottom hook will swivel, allowing you to unhook the top hooks (and remove the license plate frame). Takes me a minute or two to put on and take off.

I'm guessing this product is nowhere as refined as the Slipstream (or the Snapplate and Quick Bandit), but it's decent for $20-25.

One other thing I noticed - this may not be the kind of license plate frame you want to repeatedly put on and remove. Maybe I’m just clumsy, but I noticed the black plastic vents are already scratched/scraped from the hooks.

Last edited:
I finally took the time to install mine and I think they sent me wrong screws so I made do with what I had. Unlike the previous poster, after installation, I don't think mine is super secure. I don't think it'll fall off but it does have some side to side play even when all screws are fully tightened. Not that I would take it through a automated car wash but I don't think it'll make it through a car wash with brushes/rollers. Its good for $25 but I think the $8 etsy license plate add on that utilizes the original tesla frame is more secure for a non-take off option.

I finally took the time to install mine and I think they sent me wrong screws so I made do with what I had. Unlike the previous poster, after installation, I don't think mine is super secure. I don't think it'll fall off but it does have some side to side play even when all screws are fully tightened. Not that I would take it through a automated car wash but I don't think it'll make it through a car wash with brushes/rollers. Its good for $25 but I think the $8 etsy license plate add on that utilizes the original tesla frame is more secure for a non-take off option.
got etsy one, wait until ppf done. Looks only need drill two holes which is easy. It's total $14 for me though. Including shipping.

For me, when I only used the front screws, I did feel a little bit of play/jiggle, but when I put the back screws on, the plate felt far more secure. With that said, I do agree with you that I have my doubts this product would survive a car wash. However, my plan is to only use this front license plate for the off-chance I drive the car to areas that are more notorious for enforcing the front license plate, so I am okay with the imperfection of this product (particularly at $25).

For me, the issue I had is that the adhesive foam, which came pre-installed on the bottom piece, will not stay on because of the bend in the metal. I ended up cutting it, so that only the foam on the bottom being used. I used that leftover foam for the top metal piece (to prevent it from scratching other surfaces).

Last edited: