Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slipstream or Double Spoke Wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for opinions regarding slipstream vs double spoke wheels.

My Tesla Model S in midnight silver metallic was delivered at the end of March and was supposed to have the new slipstream wheels but instead had the double spoke wheels. They couldn't make the change on the day of delivery. I was able to look at both wheels on other cars but couldn't decide which I liked better. Tesla will swap out the double spokes for the slipstream if I would like, and after several months of delays actually have the slipstream wheels at the service center.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Slipstream look nice on the website, but in person the visible groove around the inside wheel makes them look like hub-caps. IMO. Also, wouldn't that groove collect mud/dirt? Here is a picture I snapped at the showroom.

slipstream2.png

After seeing the slipstream wheels in person, I really feel that the amount of material at the outer edge or rim of the wheel is too thick. I certainly prefer the original double spoke wheels. I have a set of double spokes which I had powder coated dark grey and are used for my snow tires in the winter months.

TX01

I'm in the same situation. I have midnight silver on order with slipstreams. Im looking to purchase double spoke wheels. As stated above they are bulky around the tire area. The double spoke lets more of the rotor a calipers show. The slips look better in the design studio picture because the picture has been altered to show depth ( light and dark shadows) but from real life photos there is a lot of silver.

I THINK DOUBLE SPOKE LOOKS BETTER

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 8.24.06 AM.png
I prefer the "classic" double spokes as well. The slipstreams do look way too thick/bukly in the outer rim portion, they make the entire wheel look very ordinary and similar to hubcaps in IMO. They designed them this way to make them more efficient I'm assuming--the tiny gains in efficiency aren't worth the less appealing appearance...

@ArtInCT May I see your powder coated rims? I'm considering doing this as well, thought it might go well with my black Model S.

Last edited:
Here is a Pic.... BTW, you can order the center caps from your Tesla SC... they are very reasonably priced. Get the center caps first and have the powder coater try to match them as best as they can. These wheels show your calipers really well (unlike the newer wheels). I have to get winter tires mounted on them along with the TPMS from my OEM silver set which came with the car.
19 inch powder coated.jpg

Last edited:
if you are trying to max out your range those slipstreams are better, you can also paint a portion of that thick part black to make it appear more like a normal wheel.

I have been doing some digging, but I could not find any official stats. Anybody knows if there are solid numbers comparing the efficiency of the two, the same way that we know that the original, short-lived, high efficiency MS wheels increased range by a few percentage points? The slipstreams do look more... slippery, and it is kind of interesting how Tesla completely dropped the double spoke design language o_O