Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slipstreams to Arachnids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
#Nickell, are you a professional auto photographer? Great shots. BTW, why the wrap, what was the color before the wrap, and if you don’t mind me asking, how much $$?

Thanks! And no, just a good imitator. It’s a full body PPF. Most are clear, but because I did the whole car I had the option of Xpel Stealth which turns the obsidian black to satin (standard black would look closer to matte). You are actually seeing the paint underneath. You can even see the flecks of metal in the sun. It just changes the sheen. I wanted the paint protection, and was originally just going to keep it glossy. When I found out I could go satin instead, it sounded like fun to give it a unique look.

You can see the shine a bit better here (wheels too) - Tesla Model S Satin Xpel wrap | SkyPixel.com

This is the PPF
XPEL STEALTH Paint Protection Film - XPEL Technologies Corp

It’s not cheap, but the paint will be like new when I take it off. It’s already prevented some rock chips on the hood. The coating is self healing on minor damage. If it ever gets more damage you can usually just replace the PPF and the paint will be safe. If it’s strong enough to damage the paint through the material, it would probably need metal work too...

The wrap itself was about $6,500. The folks who did it are epic though and there are lots of other options. It looks like factory paint. The seams and edges are maticulously matched. It’s a place out of Atlanta called Detailed Designs Auto Spa. Highly recommended!

• Love
Reactions: phaduman
IMG_0100.JPG

Stan I might have missed it but were these arachnids your referral prize?

if so ignore

if not, Tesla had 2 versions of their Tire Pressure Monitoring System, changing at around late 2014 (guessing now but I think around short VIN 57,000?)

If you bought arachnids from another user with a different vintage Model S to yours and he had the other TPMS system, that might be whey they're not happy on your car. I believe when tesla sends someone their referral prize the short vin of the car that the tesla owner owns is used to determine the TPMS version to put in the prize.

• Informative
Reactions: Joshnickell
I got the wheels from a guy in Redondo Beach, CA. The instructions from FlatSix911 seems to have done the trick even though these are newer generation TPMS.

As far as miles, the tire wear on staggered 21s is known to be terrible, but I only got 6500 out of my first set of rear 19s. I have lightened up on the accelerator somewhat, but it is a P85 after all. Planning on new rear sneaks every 10 to 15K miles.

Staggered arachnids come with Michelin Pilot SS tires. My understanding is that not many manufacturers make that size tire. All the recent referrals seem to come in silver although some dark rims on Tesla Marketplace and eBay are asking MUCH higher prices. Around $3000 seems a base point for silver arachnid resale price.

Hope this information helps! Cannot wait for March to start driving my p85 again.

Reactions: steve841
Great shot of classic green with new spiders! LOVE the color, never seen one in person, but the new wheels make the car pop out. Couple of questions, are you going for rim protection? I am ordering Alloygators today. Also, did the red calipers come with the car or did you paint/cover them, and how? Seems like the brush on paint and lettering from Mytesla may be the way to go.

Again, thanks for the shot of the beautiful car!

Great shot of classic green with new spiders! LOVE the color, never seen one in person, but the new wheels make the car pop out. Couple of questions, are you going for rim protection? I am ordering Alloygators today. Also, did the red calipers come with the car or did you paint/cover them, and how? Seems like the brush on paint and lettering from Mytesla may be the way to go.

Again, thanks for the shot of the beautiful car!

Thanks, Stan. No, not going for rim protection as I avoid parallel parking like the plague. :) Yes, the red calipers came with the car.