Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slooooowwww supercharging....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too have just recently observed abnormally slow charge rates of 30-40kw. Changing stalls didn't change anything, our car only has 3k miles so no dirty plug, and battery was warm. Twice recently we had a low battery and didn't have time to charge at home and needed a quick charge. We only had a 20% SOC while other cars were charging at 90-103kw on non linked stalls at the same time. Later that same night about 100 miles away we received a nice 100kw plus charge rate. Could it just be a glitch in the Matrix or could Tesla be limiting charge rates at Superchargers near your home base area to teach customers the new lesson. "Free Supercharging for life" now means "Free should only be free where we feel it's appropriate" meaning just on road trips.

Rember that Superchargers are built as pairs. An A and a B markings show which two are paired up.
The first one to a pair gets full current, the 2nd vehicle to plug in gets what is left over.
As the first one gets to a full rate of charge, the 2nd vehicle will get more and more current.

The pairs are not powerfull enough to charge both vehicle to the full amount.

When the first car leaves, the 2nd car then gets the full rated power, and if another vehicle then plugs in, they will only get the left over available power.

Try to be the first one in a pair to plug in for fastest charging.

I'm pretty confident that it's the handle/connector temp. Yest I pulled into a spot where a X90D was taking forever and he couldn't removed the handle (both hot to the touch and it was stuck in the car and wouldn't release). Once I pulled in and tried to grab the handle I could barely touch it also!! HOT HOT HOT!!

This was at 4:52pm and in the direct sun. Person next to me was at 84% and pulling 27kw (she had it up on the main screen)..

I was 17%...... and ramped up to 91kw for 2 min and then fell to 30kw for 5 min then back up to 71kw for 5 min then fell to 44kw SOLID for the rest of the entire time (30+ min) until the sun fell behind the service center.. a few min later, and I was at 61% now.. I went up to 53kw then 61kw!

And it stayed until 70% charge and then started to taper.. I truly think it's the cable/connector/conductor temp causing issues.

I've been to Lone Pine, Culver City, etc where it pumps out 80 to 100kw almost until the 70% area with no issues.

M3 is going to cause a BIG disruption of service to the SpC network.

I'm pretty confident that it's the handle/connector temp.

It might be. The issue is, for the past three years temperatures were not a problem. Superchargers worked just fine. I remember getting normal charge rate in very hot days in the desert of Arizona and Nevada and California.
Recently Tesla swapped almost all cables at Superchargers. Those should now be fixed IF thermal issues in the handle/cable was the issue. Yet we still see these reduced charge rates.

It may have not been a problem in the past but also these connections were new as well or had a few thousand less cycles too! I think they are getting worn and have resistance on them.

Would be great to mold to them out of white plastic and see what happens.

I'm on a 4000 mile road trip right now and I'm getting this issue consistently at every stop. 115kWh initially, then a drop to around 66 After 100 miles of charge or so. Mildly infuriating because it is making my trip MUCH longer. I've been the only car at these stops. I called it in and the rep told me that some stations are broken. Hard to believe that at every stop. I usually end up switching spaces and the third or fourth try usually gets it back to normal. I'm going to try parking out of the sun or covering the handle I guess. Brand new 100D with 5000 miles. This was never a problem in my P85 in about 30,000 miles of driving.

I'm on a 4000 mile road trip right now and I'm getting this issue consistently at every stop. 115kWh initially, then a drop to around 66 After 100 miles of charge or so. Mildly infuriating because it is making my trip MUCH longer. I've been the only car at these stops. I called it in and the rep told me that some stations are broken. Hard to believe that at every stop. I usually end up switching spaces and the third or fourth try usually gets it back to normal. I'm going to try parking out of the sun or covering the handle I guess. Brand new 100D with 5000 miles. This was never a problem in my P85 in about 30,000 miles of driving.

Try wrapping a wet towel

One advantage of slow Supercharger times is decreased idle fees during shopping or dining.

I have decided that the Tesla is perfect for daily drives using a full battery charged at home. The ICE SUV is enjoyed for vacation travel all across country with 6 minute fills & window cleaning at Love's Travel Stops. The lower cost of Model 3 will help some buyers afford an alternate ICE vehicle. That extra car may be needed if a Tesla requires time consuming auto body repairs.

In the last three days, the new TX Flatonia supercharger started at 98kw ~30% soc and did a very very slow taper (2017 75D MS), the San Marcos SC (first in TX I think) also hit 96KW at 50% SOC then tapered to 35kw @ 85% SOC, the Columbus SC hit 98KW @ 40% SOC with a slow taper. In all three instances, car was in range mode, it was in the 90's and had been driving for at least an hour before at freeway speeds (65-80mph). In Flatonia, the car was ready to continue the 'trip' about 8 minutes before estimate. San Marcos and Columbus both were about 5 minutes before estimate to continue the trip. 98KW is 'max' charging speed for a 75D battery as I understand it.

Of note, I had traveled through the same San Marcos SC about two weeks before when 3 bays were 'degraded' and email to the supercharger team said a service was planned that same weekend - at that time, the SC struggled to exceed 56KW at ~25% SOC as the 'good' stall 1A was occupied.

Guess I was lucky and perhaps the SC service team cleaned/repaired the TX I-10 corridor in the last week.