Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow Acceleration on highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. There are very few vehicles out there than can out-accelerate a Tesla. I'll check to see if my 'Boost is working almost every time I'm solo and at the head of the line at a light. By the time I let off at 60mph, I'll put 100+ feet on all vehicles behind me.

You can leave AP on and just press the accelerator temporarily to make it accelerate faster. I do this often.

same issue here, much slower acceleration than other car's ACC. Tesla should make this adjustable to driver, some people do like be slow
It used to be way worse in the opposite sense - the car would try to get itself to a fixed distance behind the lead vehicle as quickly as possible and then hold that distance very precisely. It seems that Tesla overshot a bit in reducing the aggressive speed adjustments.

You can leave Autopilot on and push the accelerator. That's what I do sometimes to accelerate faster. Once you let go of the accelerator, TACC/Autopilot will resume.

Slow acceleration in TACC/Autosteer isn't a new issue, I've experienced that many times over the years. It doesn't happen all the time, and maybe it happens more now than it used to (I'll know after my upcoming road trip). Just tap the accelerator.

You can leave AP on and just press the accelerator temporarily to make it accelerate faster. I do this often.
This is not what I experience much of the time in my September 2021 M3LR (vision only car). What I’ve had happen regularly is when I press the accelerator to get back to the set speed after TACC has slowed but the offending car is out of the way, once I’m up to speed and start letting off the accelerator, the car slows down to at or below the speed at which I started manually speeding up, and either won’t accelerate further, or does it so slowly that I end up canceling TACC, getting to the speed I want, and activating TACC again. Doesn’t happen every time, but at least 1/3rd of the time; I’ve experienced this on multiple highways, different traffic conditions, etc.

I also get a similar experience fairly regularly when activating TACC; I’ll be at a constant speed, press down on the stalk, start lifting up on the accelerator…and the car slows by 3-5 mph and takes several seconds to get back to the set speed. Disconcerting and annoying; I’ve started very slowly lifting off after cruise control activation to try to improve this behavior.

I‘m a very experienced control system engineer, and to me, trying to see inside the TACC design by observing the behavior, it seems that either the automatic speed command adjustment (the “traffic aware“ part) or the control loop integrator initialization/saturation logic (basic CC design) is totally screwed up. Cruise controls have been around for 50 years, and production digital computer implementations for at least 30 years (and a good thing, as those of you who are old enough to remember how badly the speed set point would drift in the typical GM analog circuit cruise control of the early ‘70s :rolleyes: will likely agree), so I’m hesitant to blame the behavior on the basic CC functionality; it’s a solved problem, or at least should be. TACC instead of a “dumb” CC should make no difference, as all the traffic-aware part should be doing is adjusting the commanded speed based on the sensed behavior of the leading car. But I’m wondering if Tesla has effed something up in what the TA logic is doing, especially on vision-only. Really wish they would give us the option to turn off the TA “functionality“…

Reactions: bluetrep1
I recently went on my first extended road trip in some time and found that autopilot was accelerating very slowly during traffic speed ebbs and flows. When traffic slowed, autopilot slowed appropriately behind the lead car. Once the lead car accelerated, autopilot very slowly increased speed which allowed the lead car to get several hundred feet out in front of my car. This caused much angst for the drivers behind me who started flashing their headlights followed by changing lanes and flying past me.

This must be a reletively new behavior as I didn't notice it a few months ago. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a solution? Reboot the car? Changing the follow distance does not improve this behavior.

What think?

Peter Lehrack
Tesla Model S Performance Raven Edition
Software v 2021.24.5
I have the exact same behavior. Essentially Autopilot is broken for me now, when I have to actively use the accelerator pedal anyhow because of this.
It has come in a firmware update, as it was previously nearly perfect, with immediate following and nearly constant following distance.

I guess some people like it slow, but I cannot use this. Please make it configurable, or perhaps use this relaxed mode while in Chill only.

It used to be way worse in the opposite sense - the car would try to get itself to a fixed distance behind the lead vehicle as quickly as possible and then hold that distance very precisely. It seems that Tesla overshot a bit in reducing the aggressive speed adjustments.
The way it was was exactly as I liked it. Now TACC is completely broken for me.

I guess this shows that it should be configurable, or use the new slow way in Chill mode and the old way in Sport.

This is not what I experience much of the time in my September 2021 M3LR (vision only car). What I’ve had happen regularly is when I press the accelerator to get back to the set speed after TACC has slowed but the offending car is out of the way, once I’m up to speed and start letting off the accelerator, the car slows down to at or below the speed at which I started manually speeding up, and either won’t accelerate further, or does it so slowly that I end up canceling TACC, getting to the speed I want, and activating TACC again. Doesn’t happen every time, but at least 1/3rd of the time; I’ve experienced this on multiple highways, different traffic conditions, etc.

I also get a similar experience fairly regularly when activating TACC; I’ll be at a constant speed, press down on the stalk, start lifting up on the accelerator…and the car slows by 3-5 mph and takes several seconds to get back to the set speed. Disconcerting and annoying; I’ve started very slowly lifting off after cruise control activation to try to improve this behavior.

I‘m a very experienced control system engineer, and to me, trying to see inside the TACC design by observing the behavior, it seems that either the automatic speed command adjustment (the “traffic aware“ part) or the control loop integrator initialization/saturation logic (basic CC design) is totally screwed up. Cruise controls have been around for 50 years, and production digital computer implementations for at least 30 years (and a good thing, as those of you who are old enough to remember how badly the speed set point would drift in the typical GM analog circuit cruise control of the early ‘70s :rolleyes: will likely agree), so I’m hesitant to blame the behavior on the basic CC functionality; it’s a solved problem, or at least should be. TACC instead of a “dumb” CC should make no difference, as all the traffic-aware part should be doing is adjusting the commanded speed based on the sensed behavior of the leading car. But I’m wondering if Tesla has effed something up in what the TA logic is doing, especially on vision-only. Really wish they would give us the option to turn off the TA “functionality“…
I've had the same thing happen in my 2022. It's frustrating having to use the accelerator at all, let alone try to guess whether it will hold it's speed once I let off the pedal. It seems like it behaved better if I very gradual let off the pedal. All this babysitting of TACC takes my focus away from traffic around me. I have a feeling they'll someone tie it into the acceleration modes so you'll have two choices, much too fast or much too slow. Elon Musk...can send rockets to space...can't get a vehicle to maintain speed and distance gracefully.

Reactions: mycroftxxx
Anyone that's complaining about slow acceleration isn't used to being a passenger. The Tesla is a super fun car to drive, but it'll make passengers motion sick with hard acceleration/braking and go-kart handling. AP is doing what it should be doing with gradual almost imperceptible acceleration.

I love going ~70, flooring it, and blasting by slower traffic when driving by myself. It's the complete opposite when I'm a passenger.
You definitely don't understand the issue or you never used AP. It can't keep the same distance. When slowing down, it gets too close ahead. Most of times it slams to stop which is bad for both passengers and driver. When needing to accelerate, it cannot catch up and leaves uneasily huge gap so other cars cut off, leading to another slamming to stop suddenly. Your claim will be correct only if slowing down is as gradual as accelerating.