Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I collected my M3 today (yay!)

However, when I got it home and plugged in to my pod point charger, it's charging a LOT slower than I expected. The display says 2kw and 10A/10A.

Anyone know why this would be? It should be capable of 32A, 7.2kw...

Thanks

Sounds like the car is reducing the charge rate, as the first figure is the actual charge rate, the second figure is the setting in the car. If you go into the charging screen you can increase the second figure to the maximum that your charge point can deliver. The car should remember this rate for your home location when set.

My guess is that the charge rate setting was reduced during the pre-delivery charge, as mine was set for 16 A when I collected it, and I needed to increase it to 32 A when I git home.

What cable are you using for your PodPoint charger?

this one

tesla-mobile-connector-1.jpg

or this one

type-2-cable.jpg

Wouldn't that then say, for example, 10A/32A?

If I understand it correctly, the second figure is the maximum the car thinks the charger can deliver, so it thinks the charger can only deliver 10A.

The second figure is the charge limit, and the most probable reason for this being so very low is because it's been wound down in the car. If your PodPoint has been installed and tested properly, then it shouldn't be limiting current. It's easy to just check in the car and see if the car limit has been set to a low figure.

10A is the figure that the slow UMC that comes with the car charges at, the one that plugs into a 13 A outlet.

• Disagree
Reactions: T.F.S.
the second figure is what the car thinks is max - that can't be changed in the car's settings
I have a similar at my home charger, an Elvi EVBox, max rate is 16/16 I initially thought it was the car, I couldn’t change the rate as it was at a max of 16. Though at other chargers, my friends pod point, I get 32/32 and the same at public chargers. When other cars charge here they also only get 16amp. I am on to it with Elvi and they believe my charger may be at fault.

I have a similar at my home charger, an Elvi EVBox, max rate is 16/16 I initially thought it was the car, I couldn’t change the rate as it was at a max of 16. Though at other chargers, my friends pod point, I get 32/32 and the same at public chargers. When other cars charge here they also only get 16amp. I am on to it with Elvi and they believe my charger may be at fault.
I have an Elvi too and it's proving very troublesome. I'm on my second unit now. A few points though:

- The max charge rate can be limited by the parameters on the box. You can set this yourself if you download an app called EVBox Connect. It connects to your charger via Bluetooth. You'll need the unit ID and security code to connect and once you have you'll see an "Installer Mode" button which allows you to set various params, including min/max charge rate.

- You can also set the charger to manual mode (rather than on-line via the "Hey" app). I much prefer this because you don't need to use the key fob/card to initialise every charge session. Of course, you lose the internet management and charge session recording, but IMHO, these are all pretty pointless anyhow.

As regards my problems, I'm curious to see if you have anything similar. Here's my story:

- First unit would never properly charge at 32A. It usually started at 32A but fell back to a much lower number very quickly (within a minute or two). I'd see 32/32, then 24/24, then 16/16 and it would then stay there.

- After a lot of hassle, EVBox sent a new one and the installers swapped it. This worked fine for about 6 weeks.

- Bit by bit, it's started doing the same as the first unit. It now manages about 15-30 mins at 32/32, but drops back to anything from 20/20 to 26/26 and then stays around that level until the charging finishes.

- I've been back onto EVBox and the installers and have just today had a new tethered cable installed (for some reason EV Box think this may be the cause). I'm personally very sceptical, but let's see...

The joys of an EV heh?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Thomami