Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow Handle Retraction on 2018 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swaltner

Oct 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
My May 2018 Model 3 (VIN in 22,xxx range) has been stubborn to close the driver’s door a couple times when I’ve gotten into the vehicle. Close the door, it immediately pops open not latching at all, try again and it pops open, cuss a little and then it closes. Over several months, it’s only happened a handful of times And only when I try to close the door while entering the vehicle.

Yesterday, I noticed as I was getting into the car that the exterior door handle stayed in the open position as I started to enter the car. That makes perfect sense to explain the behavior that I’ve seen. while the door handle normally retracts almost immediately, I’ve noticed a few times that the handle is a little sluggish to retract. Yesterday, it was parked for about 45 minutes in a downtown area with the driver’s door in sunlight with 85F temps, so not really the normal situation for oil/grease getting thick and leading to slow mechanisms.

Have others experienced this? I mentioned the door being difficult to open to a Tesla Service tech during an appointment for an unrelated issue a couple weeks ago, but he wasn’t really sure what it would be. At the time, I hadn’t tied the handle slowness to the door closing issues. Is there a service bulletin about this? Any interior shots of the door available with suggested oil and application locations that I should be investigating? I’m outside of full warranty due to both time and distance.