Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow Infotainment after HW3 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your challenge is in proving it doesn't work as well as before. MCU1 was already struggling. They told you you wouldn't have IC visualizations. Proving that the AP3 upgrade is causing these issues in court will be very hard.

disagree. Hypothetically speaking, if person "A" had no/minimal reported MCU issues pre FSD, but person "A" had been keeping documented list of dates/times when the issues occurred post upgrade, and if person "A" had also been opening tickets with the SC on those multiple incidents, then that would show a clear cause/effect situation thats documented/verifiable...

now if no records would kept? Could be more challenging

Some of you are comingling FSD with HW3...

you do realize...there are differences, right? Its called FSD upgrade in the app....but for those who paid and got the upgrade, at this time, its just the HW3 installation

Thus, HW3 itself...has caused the negative impact on MCU1 that so many are encountering and posting about

Your challenge is in proving it doesn't work as well as before. MCU1 was already struggling. They told you you wouldn't have IC visualizations. Proving that the AP3 upgrade is causing these issues in court will be very hard.
I have no interest in sticking it to Tesla or going down the road of proving anyone right or wrong. I purchased the upgrade with good faith that I was improving the AP performance of my car. I started this thread with the hope that I would be armed with some more knowledge to provide the mobile tech's so they can get to the bottom of the issue and fix it. But it sounds like there is no fix - which is massively disappointing.

I am going to see if they can revert the car back to HW2, give me a refund, or pay/subsidize the MCU upgrade. I know that they will probably balk at all of those options but I'll try.

I have no interest in sticking it to Tesla or going down the road of proving anyone right or wrong. I purchased the upgrade with good faith that I was improving the AP performance of my car. I started this thread with the hope that I would be armed with some more knowledge to provide the mobile tech's so they can get to the bottom of the issue and fix it. But it sounds like there is no fix - which is massively disappointing.

I am going to see if they can revert the car back to HW2, give me a refund, or pay/subsidize the MCU upgrade. I know that they will probably balk at all of those options but I'll try.

I would love to give back the FSD money and transfer it to a MCU upgrade

Actually, Elon tweeted that with "software optimizations", issues with lag/slowness on MCU1 would be resolved.

Instead, its gotten worse. Significantly. Not talking about wanting or expecting Netlix, Caroake, enhanced visualizations. Just talking about maintaining same (or even close) level of performance that the MCU1 unit had prior to FSD upgrade.

I dont think its unreasonable for TEsla to have clearly stated "if you keep your MCU1 and upgrade to FSD, you can expect the following performance impacts" vs your perspective of owners should have just known they would start suffering freezing, massive lag, voice commands becoming nearly unusable, etc.
I think this is a case where we can agree to disagree. This is no different than adding new features to an old PC or Mac that is already underpowered. Or to give you a transportation equiavalent, for us pilots it was the WAAS upgrade to the Garmin GNS 400/500 series. The unit was already underpowered. The upgrade to WAAS required replacing a number of components and it still didn't have the functionality of the GNS 480 or the follow-on 600/700 units. You disagree and I can respect that, but I that anyone who had an MCU1 in 2020 and didn't see/understand that the unit was already bogging down/overloaded was ignoring the obvious. That said, good luck to you. Meanwhile I am thrilled with my MCU1->MCU2 upgraded car and expect to enjoy it for years to come!

disagree. Hypothetically speaking, if person "A" had no/minimal reported MCU issues pre FSD, but person "A" had been keeping documented list of dates/times when the issues occurred post upgrade, and if person "A" had also been opening tickets with the SC on those multiple incidents, then that would show a clear cause/effect situation thats documented/verifiable...

now if no records would kept? Could be more challenging
And therein lies the rub. Anecdotal evidence and claims are kind of like all the wild statements made by the Trump campaign legal team. When they finally go to court and have to present evidence, the answers are "we have no proof of fraud" and "we have no evidence this occurred, just anecdotal statements" and the cases get tossed out of court. I suspect the only way to win this would be to get one of the people who can access and see what is going on under the ood (like @verygreen) to provide detailed, documented information that could be used to prove that (a) the MCU1 was functioning before the upgrade and (b) the functionality was degraded AFTER the upgrade BECAUSE of the upgrade....and then you still need to overcome Tesla's likely counterclaim that "we have not yet released the final FSD software. It is still in early beta. As such, the plaintiff has no standing to sue." Is that case winnable? I don't know, but I do know it will be hard, take a lot of time and won't be cheap....

I cant speak for everyone, but my MCU1 wasnt struggling prior to HW3. It obviously didnt have all the new features of MCU2, but it wasnt "struggling" by any stretch

Good luck (I honestly mean that). It will likely be hard but might be possible. Your challenge will likely be getting them to even do it at all. To be honest, for all the pain and time that will take, I would suggest you look at biting the bullet and getting the MCU2 upgrade. It is a whole different car at that point. That said, I wish you well and agree that the MCU1/AP3 cars are on lifesupport and I don't see a path to them getting any better without upgrading to MCU2 (that is just my opinion). I know a lot of people are doing it in the hope that MCU1 will be found incapable of supporting FSD and that Tesla will bite the bullet and give them a free MCU2 (or MCU3) upgrade at some point. The problem is you have to live with what you have for likely 3-5 years and that may still never happen. To me it was worth it to pay for the upgrade (but then I was comparing it to staying where I was or buying a new car...your calculus may be different). Good luck!

Reactions: BBB4000
I cant speak for everyone, but my MCU1 wasn't struggling prior to HW3. It obviously didn't have all the new features of MCU2, but it wasn't "struggling" by any stretch
Again, that is your opinion, but a lot of data would suggest your opinion isn't true. There is clear documentation all over the internet (and from Tesla itself) that showed that MCU1 ran a LOT slower than MCU2, rendered things slower, loaded websites much more slowly (if at all), processed voice commands much more slowly (and often failed to), performed navigation and routing calculations much more slowly, and could not display things MCU2 could necessitating a different software branch because the CPU and GPU were bogging down.

Given all of that documentation, it will be even harder for you to prove that your car was "working fine with no problems/degradation" at that point, but again, good luck to you.

Same. My MCU 1 certainly was not struggling. It worked perfectly fine and was not even the slightest bit sluggish.
Again, by your definition. Had you run any kind of speed test or compared it to MCU2 on any of the things Iisted in my post above, it definitely was bogging down. You just found the speed it ran at acceptable. It is also well documented that MCU1 ran much slower on builds the last two years than 3-4 years ago (when the web browser actually worked). The real bogdown started on the software version that provided a full-screen map with everything else appearing above it and this is well-documented. Again, good luck to you!

Again, by your definition. Had you run any kind of speed test or compared it to MCU2 on any of the things Iisted in my post above, it definitely was bogging down. You just found the speed it ran at acceptable. It is also well documented that MCU1 ran much slower on builds the last two years than 3-4 years ago (when the web browser actually worked). The real bogdown started on the software version that provided a full-screen map with everything else appearing above it and this is well-documented. Again, good luck to you!
You're missing the point. I am not comparing performance to MCU2. I am making the simple statement that my MCU 1 was very functional and useable, and not sluggish at all. After the HW3 upgrade it is basically unusable. Nothing of opinion there, that is just a fact. You keep comparing to MCU 2 but that's not relevant for this discussion.

Again, that is your opinion, but a lot of data would suggest your opinion isn't true. There is clear documentation all over the internet (and from Tesla itself) that showed that MCU1 ran a LOT slower than MCU2, rendered things slower, loaded websites much more slowly (if at all), processed voice commands much more slowly (and often failed to), performed navigation and routing calculations much more slowly, and could not display things MCU2 could necessitating a different software branch because the CPU and GPU were bogging down.

Given all of that documentation, it will be even harder for you to prove that your car was "working fine with no problems/degradation" at that point, but again, good luck to you.

I mean, Im the owner of the car..the customer. I clearly know how well my MCU1 was working pre-HW3 upgrade. How the MCU1 was working on HW2 compared to how a MCU2 was performing, is totally irrelevant from a legal aspect.

What is relevant is:
- My experience/how MCU1 was working pre-HW3 upgrade
- My experience/how MCU1 was working post-HW3 upgrade

Now whether or not the experiences that are relevant, can be backed up with records/data? That's a different story.