Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow leak in tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was the pricing fair?

I have a slow leak/nail. Went to Costco, but the couldn't repair the tire due to it being their policy (nail was on the inner/closer to side of the tire). Hesitant to go to a local shop as I'm not sure if they know how to deal with teslas. Debating on going thru the service section on the app, but seems rather pricey. Want to see if this shop would be willing to repair and even if I need a replacement tire, hopefully it would be cheaper than Tesla service.

I see you are in Flushing. Quite a trip out to Huntington, but it would be well worth it at only $20. They knew about Tesla's. I mentioned to them where the lift points were (I forgot to bring my lift pucks), but they knew exactly what to do for Tesla's. They do them all the time. They already had some puck like device on the jack.
Great experience.

Was the pricing fair?

I have a slow leak/nail. Went to Costco, but the couldn't repair the tire due to it being their policy (nail was on the inner/closer to side of the tire). Hesitant to go to a local shop as I'm not sure if they know how to deal with teslas. Debating on going thru the service section on the app, but seems rather pricey. Want to see if this shop would be willing to repair and even if I need a replacement tire, hopefully it would be cheaper than Tesla service.

if it’s really that close to the edge they may not be able to patch it either...doesn’t matter where you go it may not be safe to patch depending on how close it is to the shoulder of the tire.

Don't yell at me. I'm a lazy bum. I have had a slow leak in my drive side rear tire for over a year. I need to put in 3-5 pounds every 10 days or so. I searched oh so many times for a nail or screw and nothing. Someone said it may be a bad valve? I got the car in May 2019, so it's possible it was there since the beginning.
Anyway, I called Mavis and asked them if they have had Tesla's in before because they cannot go up on the left (or so I heard). They said yes. Made an appointment for a few days later. Got there and first thing they asked for was the key. Bad sign. Then I asked them if they knew it cannot go on the left and desk person had to go into back and ask. Came back and said Tesla's use run flats and that they cannot fix them. This is the first I heard of this. Maybe a model S has run flats, but does the Model 3 have them? And how would they even know what tire I have without looking? So I left.

What reputable place that knows what they are doing do I need to take my car to? And if anyone local knows of somewhere they went, please help. I am on Long Island.
I am currently having the exact same problem, were you able to figure it out?

Soapy water will do the job.
Yep, that's what I finally did. It was a very thin nail that was smoothed out by how long it was in there, so I couldn't feel it. Finally found a tire shop that services Tesla's. They patched it (they do not plug). Much better, but still super slow leak. Couple of pounds every month or two. Waiting 7 months for a Primacy MMX replacement with foam. No one has them here. Supply chain issue.

Yep, that's what I finally did. It was a very thin nail that was smoothed out by how long it was in there, so I couldn't feel it. Finally found a tire shop that services Tesla's. They patched it (they do not plug). Much better, but still super slow leak. Couple of pounds every month or two. Waiting 7 months for a Primacy MMX replacement with foam. No one has them here. Supply chain issue.
I know its been a while, but if you went back to All Weather they would probably have taken care of you. They dunk the wheel/tires in a water tank to check where the leak is. If its leaking from the same repair spot they’ll redo the patch…probably with a larger patch. I know from past experience lol. Been going there for over 20yrs. Although if it’s only a couple pounds every few months…might be hard to find/see. If you still have a bunch of tread left…might be worthwhile to have them check it out again anyway.

I know its been a while, but if you went back to All Weather they would probably have taken care of you. They dunk the wheel/tires in a water tank to check where the leak is. If its leaking from the same repair spot they’ll redo the patch…probably with a larger patch. I know from past experience lol. Been going there for over 20yrs. Although if it’s only a couple pounds every few months…might be hard to find/see. If you still have a bunch of tread left…might be worthwhile to have them check it out again anyway.
Thanks, but with a few pounds every month or two, I don't mind. Let's see if that changes in the cold winter. So far it hasn't.

I have the same slow leak in my rear driver side tire. Have to put air in tire every morning recently because the cold nights lower the PSI alot. I will try All Weather Tire, I work in Melville so it works for me, thanks!

Do you guys have a place to bring your Tesla's for inspection on Long Island? I have to bring mine in a couple months.

I have the same slow leak in my rear driver side tire. Have to put air in tire every morning recently because the cold nights lower the PSI alot. I will try All Weather Tire, I work in Melville so it works for me, thanks!

Do you guys have a place to bring your Tesla's for inspection on Long Island? I have to bring mine in a couple months.

Cold nights shouldn’t be the cause of having to add air every morning.…you definitely have a leak.

2 years ago I went to Mavis discount tire 929 E Jericho Turnpike, Huntington Station, NY 11746. Was in and out in 15min. This past year I went back there and it was a new manager. She was giving me the song and dance that she couldn’t do it because of the battery and special jacking. So I told her I had all the jack point adaptors. Then she starts saying that if it had to be repaired they couldn’t do it, can’t get parts yada yada. So I left and went to the Mavis down the street at 20 W Jericho Turnpike, Huntington Station, NY 11746. The manager there ended up being the one that was at the other location the year before. I told him what she said. He said don’t worry, pulled me in, did the inspection and I was out in 15min. Tipped him $20 and am praying I find him again this year lol.

Thanks, but with a few pounds every month or two, I don't mind. Let's see if that changes in the cold winter. So far it hasn't.
I went back to All Weather. Not leaking from patch. They said there is an issue with the Michelins with foam that they slowly separate down the middle of the tread. I will just deal with until these foam tires come back in stock or I decide to forego the foam and just get the non-foam version.

Don't yell at me. I'm a lazy bum. I have had a slow leak in my drive side rear tire for over a year. I need to put in 3-5 pounds every 10 days or so. I searched oh so many times for a nail or screw and nothing. Someone said it may be a bad valve? I got the car in May 2019, so it's possible it was there since the beginning.
Anyway, I called Mavis and asked them if they have had Tesla's in before because they cannot go up on the left (or so I heard). They said yes. Made an appointment for a few days later. Got there and first thing they asked for was the key. Bad sign. Then I asked them if they knew it cannot go on the left and desk person had to go into back and ask. Came back and said Tesla's use run flats and that they cannot fix them. This is the first I heard of this. Maybe a model S has run flats, but does the Model 3 have them? And how would they even know what tire I have without looking? So I left.

What reputable place that knows what they are doing do I need to take my car to? And if anyone local knows of somewhere they went, please help. I am on Long Island.

Mavis fixed 3 nails in my BMW's run flats over the years...

reading these posts.. I have exactly the same issue... slow leak in the drivers side rear....( Model Y ) it doesn't seem to leak at all when i'm driving.. but only when the car is sitting.. sounds exactly like the other posts...
I'm going to try the soap and water suggestion.... If that doesn't work... what's the next solution.. i'm afraid to take it anywhere thats going to lift it.. I have the pucks.. but i'm told it's not a good idea. Is this something we can take to Tesla?

reading these posts.. I have exactly the same issue... slow leak in the drivers side rear....( Model Y ) it doesn't seem to leak at all when i'm driving.. but only when the car is sitting.. sounds exactly like the other posts...
I'm going to try the soap and water suggestion.... If that doesn't work... what's the next solution.. i'm afraid to take it anywhere thats going to lift it.. I have the pucks.. but i'm told it's not a good idea. Is this something we can take to Tesla?
Any solution to this? I have a MY which is 2 months old and am seeing this on my front driver side tire. I have had 2 shops use soap spray and have found nothing. They even sprayed the outside wall and the valve stem but nothing. I am down about 7 to 8 psi everyday!

Any solution to this? I have a MY which is 2 months old and am seeing this on my front driver side tire. I have had 2 shops use soap spray and have found nothing. They even sprayed the outside wall and the valve stem but nothing. I am down about 7 to 8 psi everyday!
7 PSI per day is a massive leak! Wheel damage? I've had one shop miss a leak with soap bath, maybe you had really bad luck and third time is a charm. Create your own soap spray and check in the garage. Also spray in the barrel of the wheel. You'll have to move the car a couple times. Just a thought.

7 PSI per day is a massive leak! Wheel damage? I've had one shop miss a leak with soap bath, maybe you had really bad luck and third time is a charm. Create your own soap spray and check in the garage. Also spray in the barrel of the wheel. You'll have to move the car a couple times. Just a thought.
No wheel damage whatsoever. I am thinking of doing the soap spray myself to see. Tesla Service has been nothing but a pain in the rear in fixing this. They want me to pay for a new tire... Thanks for the suggestion about the barrel, let's see what I find.

That’s a decent leak….i would find a shop that has a dunk tank.

Reactions: BigNick
That’s a decent leak….i would find a shop that has a dunk tank.
After 4 shops and about 7 techs later, we finally found a leak hidden between the tread. It took them lots of soap spray and patience to find it. It was a decent size hole but the Midas guys patched it with the tire plug. Hopefully it is the correct fix for these run flats.

Reactions: Adam3