Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow leak on brand new tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y was delivered about 45 days ago with one tire that has a slow leak. I've had to fill that tire twice already while the rest haven't lost much pressure. I made a service appointment. The service center sent an estimate that is almost $500 if the tire is to be replaced after inspection!
Shouldn't they be fixing this for free since they delivered a faulty tire? And I couldn't have made an appointment any sooner because it's a slow leak and didn't want to jump to any conclusions until I had to refill the tire twice.
Has anyone else had a slow leak in a brand new Model Y? Did Tesla fix the issue at no cost?

Thanks

My Model Y was delivered about 45 days ago with one tire that has a slow leak. I've had to fill that tire twice already while the rest haven't lost much pressure. I made a service appointment. The service center sent an estimate that is almost $500 if the tire is to be replaced after inspection!
Shouldn't they be fixing this for free since they delivered a faulty tire? And I couldn't have made an appointment any sooner because it's a slow leak and didn't want to jump to any conclusions until I had to refill the tire twice.
Has anyone else had a slow leak in a brand new Model Y? Did Tesla fix the issue at no cost?

Thanks
Generally the tires on new cars are covered separately by the tire manufacturer warranty, but yes, it should be covered. It could be several things - the valve stem could be leaking, the bead could have a poor seal between the tire and the rim, you may have actually driven over something on the way home, or the rim could have some damage.

I would check on the tire warranty coverage and talk to the service center. You'd probably be better off going to a local tire shop over the Tesla SC if it's truly just a tire issue.

Reactions: Pianewman
It should but it does not.

Since it put those car parts in their car, they should be responsible to fix them.

Imagine that we would have to go to Panasonic to fix the battery problem or China to fix the Full Self Driving computer, or Continental to fix the radar...
I would check on the tire warranty coverage and talk to the service center. You'd probably be better off going to a local tire shop over the Tesla SC if it's truly just a tire issue.
Yes, this slow leak definitely appears to be covered by the Tire warranty from Continental. And their warranty doc says to take it to the original seller of the vehicle. Tesla better not charge me for this. I'll post again to update for everyone else's knowledge.

Go to Discount tire. Purchase their extended tire warranty. Discount tire will repair the tire where possible or apply the manufacturer's warranty if the tire needs to be replaced.

Possible causes of the slow air leak:

A tire puncture that is not easy to see.

A bad tire bead or tire rim seal. To test for this you can spray soapy water along the rim where it meets the tire. Look for bubbles rising. (You can't easily use this method for the inside of the tire, especially a rear wheel/tire, without dismounting the tire.)

Dirt in the tire valve core or a bad, i.e. leaky, tire valve core. (Place a small amount or soapy water on the exposed tire valve (or just use some spit.) Look for a bubble forming at the valve stem. If it is the tire valve core most tire shops will replace this for free or you can do it yourself.

A tire repair center or an automotive repair garage will have a water tank for partially submerging a wheel/tire to locate an air leak.

Last edited:
Go to Discount tire. Purchase their extended tire warranty. Discount tire will repair the tire where possible or apply the manufacturer's warranty if the tire needs to be replaced.
Are you saying that if Tesla tries to charge me I can take the car to Discount tire even though I didn't buy the tire from them and they will do the paperwork for the warranty?

Appreciate the ideas on leak detection too. Thank you!

Are you saying that if Tesla tries to charge me I can take the car to Discount tire even though I didn't buy the tire from them and they will do the paperwork for the warranty?

Appreciate the ideas on leak detection too. Thank you!
Yes; The tires do not even have to be new. Discount Tire (America's Tires in some states) => sells tires, wants to sell and service your tires.

Tesla => sells electric automobiles, etc; wants you to buy an EV then mostly be gone until you are ready to buy another Tesla vehicle.

I had a slow leak that I could never find on our XC60.
Finally one day while topping off the tire, the valve stem cracked off.
Had to by a TPMS repair kit which contained a new stem and seals.
Maybe its the TPMS, maybe not, but if it is, that should be warranty.
Since that experience, I always have a spare TPMS repair kit or complete TPMS valve in each vehicle.
For our MYP I bought a complete black spare, I could not find just a repair kit.
Did you try some soapy dish detergent water spray and look for bubbles?

Reactions: ARG-EV
Slow leak, invisible puncture, at 21k miles, OEM ContiPro tires. Discount Tire put the tire/wheel into a tank, found a wire-thin leak in the tread area, 1" from the sidewall. Removed the tire from the rim, plugged the tire.

No charge. I don't even have the DT "tire warranty" on these tires. (I imagine the "no charge" aspect might not be a nationwide policy, though)

I would NEVER go to Tesla, Toyota, Nissan, etc. etc. for a leaky tire. Discount Tire has the equipment, staff, and experience.

Go to Discount tire.

You would hope this is unnecessary, but still worth mentioning: Make sure whoever you take it to has the pucks to lift the vehicle up

I would be surprised if Discount Tire didn't, but maybe they do and they're not in the bay where your beginner tire guy is slowly jacking up your car, wondering why the wheel hasn't left the ground yet and also wondering what that horrible creaking sound is

Thanks
Yes, Same thing I have a brand new model three long range has 300 miles had it one month and the Rear driver side tire keeps losing pressure and the other ones hold pressure fine. I had to put pressure in it for the second time and was considering calling the service department

Evstrat: I recommend taking it to Discount Tire/Tire America. They'll figure it out more quickly than a Tesla Service Center. DT and TA can also sell you "certificates" (not cheap...$40 per tire) which give you a real replacement warranty on the OEM tires.