Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow leak on TST wheel & tire pacakge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Got TSportline’s 19” wheel and winter package for my Model 3. Almost from the get go, I’ve had a slow leak on one of them. Inspected the tire and there is no puncture, nail, screw or even rim damage. Before I push the investigation further and take it to a tire place, anyone had similar issues with those to help me diagnose in case it’s a common problem with TSportline? Valve stem, etc. Any input appreciated. Thanks. NP

Hello all. Got TSportline’s 19” wheel and winter package for my Model 3. Almost from the get go, I’ve had a slow leak on one of them. Inspected the tire and there is no puncture, nail, screw or even rim damage. Before I push the investigation further and take it to a tire place, anyone had similar issues with those to help me diagnose in case it’s a common problem with TSportline? Valve stem, etc. Any input appreciated. Thanks. NP

Sorry, just noticed the typo in the subject line. Should have read package of course.

Bump. I've been having the same problem with one of my 18" TST with Nokian R3s. Tire shop did a tank leak test and couldn't find anything. It seems to happen only when there is weight on the wheel. Wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

tighten valve stem cores and check that TPMS collar didn't shift when torqued down. those oem VDO TPMS collars are tricky sometimes.

Reactions: Dana1
You have a pin hole in the casting. I had my TSTs at 5 tire shops, but surprisingly it was the Tesla service center that found the issue. T-Sportline wasn't the least surprised when I called them and they immediately sent out a replacement wheel and paid for recounting. Apparently they have some issues with their supplier.

So I tightened the valve core as per TSportline’s advice and went away on a short vacay. Got back today. Car was in my heated garage and the tire seemed to have held its air fine and was right where I had left it. Just came back from some errands where I left the car parked outside in the cold and the leaky tire lost 2 PSI (more than the other tires). So, the slow leak seems to still be there even with the core tightened but only happening in cold temperature? Odd. I know temperature drops will bring the PSI down but why is it exacerbating a leak? Any way, I’m going to try tightening the hex nut, the other thing TSportline told me to try. Hope that’ll fix. Hope it’s not a wheel defect like others have reported.

So I tightened the valve core as per TSportline’s advice and went away on a short vacay. Got back today. Car was in my heated garage and the tire seemed to have held its air fine and was right where I had left it. Just came back from some errands where I left the car parked outside in the cold and the leaky tire lost 2 PSI (more than the other tires). So, the slow leak seems to still be there even with the core tightened but only happening in cold temperature? Odd. I know temperature drops will bring the PSI down but why is it exacerbating a leak? Any way, I’m going to try tightening the hex nut, the other thing TSportline told me to try. Hope that’ll fix. Hope it’s not a wheel defect like others have reported.

Same thing. I tightened the hex nut and core and am still loosing air at low temperatures. Warmer ambient temps and constant driving stops the leak.

You have a pin hole in the casting. I had my TSTs at 5 tire shops, but surprisingly it was the Tesla service center that found the issue. T-Sportline wasn't the least surprised when I called them and they immediately sent out a replacement wheel and paid for recounting. Apparently they have some issues with their supplier.

What method was used to find this pinhole? Where was it located?

Same thing. I tightened the hex nut and core and am still loosing air at low temperatures. Warmer ambient temps and constant driving stops the leak.

I'd be interested in knowing that too @kpk703. Thanks for letting us know when you can.

After tightening the valve core, I've now tightened the hex nut as well. No change. Still leaking in the cold.

Bingo.

h/t to Tsportline for immediately sending out a replacement.

Reactions: Skione65

I had a similar issue with my stock wheels. They would not always lose air. Was very weird.

Turns out my wheel was bent and leaking at the bead.

Sometimes when I parked I stopped close enough to the bent area that the weight of the car was pushing the tire into the bent area and sealing it. Then sometimes I parked with the bent area at the top of the wheel and it would leak.

• Funny
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl

I used no method. Tesla over-inflated and fully dunked the wheel and tire. They said they spent a full 20 minutes trying to find where the microscopic bubbles were coming from and found the spot about 4 inches inside the rim. Since the wheel has been replaced no loss of air whatsoever.

I had a similar issue with a wheel bought from Tsportsline, but they were amazing about resolving the issue and making things right. When you are cranking out so many wheels, once in a while one is likely to be defective, but the important thing is how the company deals with it. Tsportsline stepped up and helped me resolve the problem. I highly recommend them so do not be discouraged by a few random incidents. Stuff will happen no matter where you buy your third party wheels. Buy from a company who stands behind their product and takes customer service seriously. Tsportsline is one such company.