Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow Puncture

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody got any advice on getting 19" Wheels repaired?

Annoyingly I picked up a slow puncture today.

Do the Tesla service centre do repairs to tyres?
Or is it best to go independent local tyre shop?
I've read about there being issues with repairing foam lined tyres.

Went to two local tyre places..both flat out refused to admit they could be repaired...such a pain.

Got a couple of other places to try further away.
What reason did they give for saying the puncture can't be repaired? If it is due to the location, that is possible if it is too near a sidewall. If because of the sound reducing foam, that is incorrect. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious!

What reason did they give for saying the puncture can't be repaired? If it is due to the location, that is possible if it is too near a sidewall. If because of the sound reducing foam, that is incorrect. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious!

No neither of them looked at the tyre.

Just said that noise reduction tyres cannot be repaired.
They said that manufacturers instructions are that they cannot be repaired and so they won’t. They went on to state that if anyone is repairing them then it’s against manufacturers advice. May invalidate warranty etc etc.

Most of the 'branded' tyre places are bound by head office rules and targets that pretty much ensure that all punctures are 'unrepairable' so they will want to sell you a new tyre regardless of the real repairability of the damage.

Of course some punctures really are unsafe to repair, but if you feel that the location of the puncture shouldn't be a problem I would suggest taking it to your nearest back-street unbranded tyre repair place and see what they say.

Reactions: pow216
Urm, am I the only one who thinks that is a weird excuse when the alternative is to scrap the tyre anyway?
I asked my local tyre centre when getting a tyre for another car. Turns out there are 2 types of acoustic tyre. the ones we have and some with a much more solid lining. They said they would not touch the other type but would be fine with ours. so I wonder now whether all of the guys saying no are getting confused as to which type we actually have?

Here in Texas the Service Center looked at my slow leak and quoted me $80 to fix it, or $175 for a new tire balanced and mounted, depending on what they found.

The SA went outside with me and told me my puncture was in an easy place to repair and to go to Discount Tire where it was often free if you have purchased tires from them in the past. So I did and it was free.

I asked my local tyre centre when getting a tyre for another car. Turns out there are 2 types of acoustic tyre. the ones we have and some with a much more solid lining. They said they would not touch the other type but would be fine with ours. so I wonder now whether all of the guys saying no are getting confused as to which type we actually have?

Interestingly I spoke to one this morning who confirmed that they can fix these types of tyres however there are two types of them and they are only willing to do one type.
They said they can do all (noise reduction) Michelin and some Conti's.
However the Hankook's and a certain type of Conti use a more tar like adhesive which is near impossible to remove to be able to repair the tyre properly.

Looks like I'm getting a new tyre.

Most of the 'branded' tyre places are bound by head office rules and targets that pretty much ensure that all punctures are 'unrepairable' so they will want to sell you a new tyre regardless of the real repairability of the damage.

Of course some punctures really are unsafe to repair, but if you feel that the location of the puncture shouldn't be a problem I would suggest taking it to your nearest back-street unbranded tyre repair place and see what they say.

Both the tyres places I use locally are independents and neither wanted to repair mine. It was a screw in the centre of the tyre and they both said it was because they are the acoustic foam filled ones.

Both the tyres places I use locally are independents and neither wanted to repair mine. It was a screw in the centre of the tyre and they both said it was because they are the acoustic foam filled ones.

Just a point of detail ... it may not be what you meant but the tyres are not actually "foam filled". Inside the tyre there is a strip of sponge (the consistency of something you might use for washing dishes). It is only about half an inch thick and covers the width of the flat tread area of the inside of the tyre. I say this because when I first heard about the tyres having acoustic foam inside I assumed that the were indeed filled with some kind of sticky stuff that was akin to the substances used in the past for the sealing of punctures. When you see it it's had to believe that it would be much of a problem for removal and repair ... and there are videos and photos (including on this forum) of completely successful repairs.

Reactions: PACEMD
Just a point of detail ... it may not be what you meant but the tyres are not actually "foam filled". Inside the tyre there is a strip of sponge (the consistency of something you might use for washing dishes). It is only about half an inch thick and covers the width of the flat tread area of the inside of the tyre. I say this because when I first heard about the tyres having acoustic foam inside I assumed that the were indeed filled with some kind of sticky stuff that was akin to the substances used in the past for the sealing of punctures. When you see it it's had to believe that it would be much of a problem for removal and repair ... and there are videos and photos (including on this forum) of completely successful repairs.

Thanks for the clarity, I'm much better informed now :). What's this "washing dishes" thing you speak of? ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W. and Adopado
Pity your not near Bath. Bathwick Tyres. They did mine (had a nail in the tyre) when i was visiting. They just said no problem. Used my pucks, popped it up, took the tyre off, removed a square of foam around the nail, cleaned it up and plugged it. Cost me £20

One thing he did mention and i saw, was the foam is stuck down with glue either side along the edges of the foam but not in the middle and he said if the nail was in the glue area its hard to plug as the adhesive does not stick well

Update.

Ordered the new tyre and went in to do it today. They took the tyre off and had a look and said they might actually be able to repair it.
The centre foam was only stuck down by 4 small lines of adhesive and the nail was outside of the foam anyway. They said that even within the foam area they'd have still be able to repair it. The adhesive wasn't the type they were expecting...or something like that.

End result was instead of a new tyre and £166 lighter, I walked out with a repaired tyre and it cost me £20...proper chuffed...thaaaaank yew.

Update.

Ordered the new tyre and went in to do it today. They took the tyre off and had a look and said they might actually be able to repair it.
The centre foam was only stuck down by 4 small lines of adhesive and the nail was outside of the foam anyway. They said that even within the foam area they'd have still be able to repair it. The adhesive wasn't the type they were expecting...or something like that.

End result was instead of a new tyre and £166 lighter, I walked out with a repaired tyre and it cost me £20...proper chuffed...thaaaaank yew.
Good news :)

They probably saw my post above and phoned Bathwick Tyres! :p

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W. and DJP31