Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow Screen Reaction Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of a sudden my screen is reaction extremely slow to the touch, it can take up to 5 seconds to switch commands/Visuals.
Strange thing is it is a random occurrence sometimes slow sometimes reacts as normal.
No one command but I have noticed the camera seems to be particularly prone to an extended delay.
It does not matter if I am going from a full screen or any half screen app it is much slower than it used to be

Any thoughts?

All of a sudden my screen is reaction extremely slow to the touch, it can take up to 5 seconds to switch commands/Visuals.
Strange thing is it is a random occurrence sometimes slow sometimes reacts as normal.
No one command but I have noticed the camera seems to be particularly prone to an extended delay.
It does not matter if I am going from a full screen or any half screen app it is much slower than it used to be

Any thoughts?

I noted similar delays in the last week or so when switching between functions. I rebooted once but its the same. I don't think I am imagining it.

Mine started doing that and worse on February 24th. I rebooted with no improvement. Later that day, I had the 12V battery failure, my car was disabled and needed to be towed to the shop.

I have noticed the system slow to respond (particularly changing Internet radio stations) since that time. I was worried there was some lasting issue from the battery failure. However, if others are noting the problem, maybe it was the incremental software update performed while it was in the shop. Or, perhaps something else entirely.

However, I can say you aren't alone.

Been getting worse for me. Usually reboots help, but since last update it's been consistent in degrading. I feel the nightly sleep mode is the culprit. When I had this off in the prior firmware version I rarely had issues and reboots did e trick. Now trying reboots after startup as of today to see if this helps. Power saving off and always connected on.

Reboot. I spoke to Tesla service because I was rebooting, but things were not improving and I was getting odd little idiosyncrasies. They told me thus:

-Don't plug the car in.
-Put the car in park
-Keep your foot on the brake
-Hold the two scroll wheels down until both screens go black and then a T logo comes up
-Release

They said that if plugged in, the car can go to sleep essentially immediately, not allowing the reboot to do its thing. Since doing this, I have had no problems at all. They also told me that in 6.something, they changed the reboot process so we only need to hold the two scrolls down as above and everything will reboot: IP, center display and all associated functions. No more need to hold the two top buttons on the wheel to to a second reboot. Though it still appears to work for the IP.

I wish they would tell this stuff in the update notes, which, BTW, are essentially useless, except for the snazzy features.

And this post reminds me that I need a reboot, so thanks!

Last edited: