Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow start - MCU1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S90D with MCU1 increasingly has times when it takes quite a while before I get to drive. All energy saving modes are off but when I enter the car, it takes Frequently a long while Édite i can switch to D mode. Sometimes even the screen stays black. The other day, I drove, parked, stepped out, saw I was not well parked, immediately got
In, and had to wait more than a minute for systems to allow me to drive again... is that something you’ve seen recently? Recent firmware change? Or a typical MCU1 memory degradation impact? Thanks.

My S90D with MCU1 increasingly has times when it takes quite a while before I get to drive. All energy saving modes are off but when I enter the car, it takes Frequently a long while Édite i can switch to D mode. Sometimes even the screen stays black. The other day, I drove, parked, stepped out, saw I was not well parked, immediately got
In, and had to wait more than a minute for systems to allow me to drive again... is that something you’ve seen recently? Recent firmware change? Or a typical MCU1 memory degradation impact? Thanks.

Might by symptomatic of early stages of this

NHTSA Investigating Tesla Model S Infotainment Screen Problems

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
You say you have all energy saving features turned on. Turn off the energy saver feature that lets your car deep sleep during the day and see if you have an improvement. It states on the little info that the car may take longer to wake up. That might be all you are dealing with.

But isn't the eMMC failure related to the MCU solely? i.e. it shouldn't impact the ability for the car systems to be up and for the car to be able to drive, right?
You can still drive the car without the MCU. Mine went out while driving (scary). If ac is on then it will stay on when you drive. The only thing is you can't turn it off. It will take four hours or so for the ac to turn off after driving. Self locking does not work. You have to use the fob to lock the car. My blinkers work without the noise. I'm also able to charge. So make sure you can charge because you do not want the battery to die. There is a shortage of MCUs here currently. I've been waiting for over a month.

You can still drive the car without the MCU. Mine went out while driving (scary). If ac is on then it will stay on when you drive. The only thing is you can't turn it off. It will take four hours or so for the ac to turn off after driving. Self locking does not work. You have to use the fob to lock the car. My blinkers work without the noise. I'm also able to charge. So make sure you can charge because you do not want the battery to die. There is a shortage of MCUs here currently. I've been waiting for over a month.

Why is it some people cannot charge?

Just throwing it out there. This also sounds exactly what was happening with my 90D when the heat was slowly killing the 12v. Once it died, Tesla jumped, towed and replaced the 12v. My car has been back to normal. Might be worth mentioning.

EDIT: What might be happening is I believe Tesla physically disconnects the main battery when off to reduce phantom drain. With the 12v dying, that mechanism was draining the 12v, causing the MCU to lose power. Even after immediatly parking the car like Op said.

Last edited:
Reactions: caligula666
To answer the specific question posed by the OP, yes my P85D occasionally experiences what I feel to be a prolonged boot-up time. In all honesty it's probably not more than 30 seconds and it doesn't occur all the time. I'm not sure what is causing it but I don't feel it's necessarily a new issue. About a week ago, I got in and certainly felt it took longer than usual. It has not done this since. I cannot figure out what forces the car into this "deep sleep mode". I do nothing different from day to day, yet about every week or two, I notice this prolonged boot-up pattern. Everything else work great. If it is a failure of some sort, I would like it to occur under warranty.

P85D
MCU 1
39,000 miles

Reactions: caligula666