Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow startup/doors opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I have a 2012 P85 and over the last couple of months, I've noticed that the car is much slower in opening the handles (sometimes not at all). I've replaced the battery on the key and swapped keys, same issue. There's been about 3 times in the past 2 weeks that I've gotten in the car and the car takes forever to turn on, saying "when this message disappears, press the brake pedal". I may have only been out of the car for 15-20 minutes and it's in the middle of the day. I have all the power-saving functions in the menus turned off. It's "always on". During these 3 times in the past two weeks, the center screen will not come on for some reason!

Any ideas? Thanks!

Have you any new key fobs (for a different car) in your pocket that you had not before this started? I found that when I kept my BMW key fob in the same pocket as the Tesla fob this same kind of thing happened with the door handles and the charge port door. Even a cell phone in too close proximity of the Tesla fob can cause this kind of problem. I had to switch my BMW fob to the other pocket and move my cell phone holster away from that pocket as well. Then the problems just went away. May not be your solution, but as RFI (radio frequency interference) is ubiquitous this kind of thing can happen.

Remember stopping at a parking kiosk to pay the attendant my parking fee, put my Tesla in park, paid, and when I tried to put it into drive, it would not go into drive! Very frustrating as a line of ICE's were behind me waiting to pay. Turns out that the kiosk had some sort of wifi or radio signals which interfered with the car. After the cashier finished the transaction and pushed some buttons I was able to drive away! Strange....

Doing a reset is always a good idea though.

I picked my car up from service the other day and the rep offered to sit in the car with me to fill me in on a few new things. Haven't had that before. All he did was tell me that having too many locations in the nav history and having a lot of miles in the ODO trip meter can significantly slow the system down. So I deleted all of my nav history. You have to do it one by one. Tedious, but didn't take all that long. And then I wiped both trip meters. I had kept my B trip with all my original miles to track lifetime energy. No big deal. I just keep in mind that I was at 338 at 19K mi. What he told me was that the nav is always looking and if you have a lot of history, it has to go through all of it to do whatever it does. I really don't know why. On the trip meters, it actually runs through them to calculate your current energy usage. Again, no idea why.

I hadn't noticed any slowness issues before and have not noticed any change since. But clearly, there must be an issue if the service reps are telling us about this. Give it a try. Hope this helps.

hi bkruse, did you ever solve your problem with the slow startup? I have the same problem with my 2012 Model S 85, with the slowness in start-up over the last couple of months. Didn't have this problem before. I'm guessing it may have been a change to the firmware that is causing this issue.