Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow super charging speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Long range AWD, I've gone to 3 separate super chargers in the Toronto area and the fastest speed I've seen is 32kW charging.

I'm sitting at a supercharger now, with one other car parked and im getting 21kW charging... Even tried a different stall..
1544131599028918773378382511130.jpg

Any ideas? Something broken?

It looks like it was cold out, how long did you drive before charging?
It also looks like your battery was nearly half charged.

Superchargers are fastest when your battery has had plenty of time to warm and when you start with a lower state of charge.

Try driving at highway speeds for an hour and coming back at 10-20% battery, you’ll probably get 100+kW charge rates then.

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan
Cold battery. You really have to drive at highways speeds for an hour to get it warm enough to charge at the full 120 kW. Numerous threads about this with lots of good information available.
Don't need to drive an hour to warm the battery. Watch that video. You just need to do a couple of hard acceleration and re-generative braking. That will warm up the battery within 5 mins.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
I’ve gotten mine warm enough to supercharge at full speed with about a 15 minute drive (with some extra accelerate then regen cycles). In the same amount of time but driving slowly through a town a couple days before, it was still very cold and supercharged very slowly. Both days it was cold soaked and similar temperature. So how you’re driving does matter quite a bit.

I have a Long range AWD, I've gone to 3 separate super chargers in the Toronto area and the fastest speed I've seen is 32kW charging.

I'm sitting at a supercharger now, with one other car parked and im getting 21kW charging... Even tried a different stall..View attachment 358683

Any ideas? Something broken?

When it's that cold and if the battery is not warm from driving, it charge rate starts slow and appears normal and charge rate increases with time. The only other time you'll see slow charging with good conditions for charging, is when you another car is charging at the next stall with the same stall number as yours. Like if you are charging at stall 2A and if there is another car already charging at 2B before you, 2B will get more power and you'll only get (120kW - the kW power being used by the other car). So, if the other car is charging at 100 kW, you'll only get 20kW. It's always better to charge at a stall with a number not being shared.

When it's that cold and if the battery is not warm from driving, it charge rate starts slow and appears normal and charge rate increases with time. The only other time you'll see slow charging with good conditions for charging, is when you another car is charging at the next stall with the same stall number as yours. Like if you are charging at stall 2A and if there is another car already charging at 2B before you, 2B will get more power and you'll only get (120kW - the kW power being used by the other car). So, if the other car is charging at 100 kW, you'll only get 20kW. It's always better to charge at a stall with a number not being shared.

My experience was that when supercharging while cold the charge rate actually slowed steadily over time. On a 120kw charger it started around 43kw and slowly dropped to low 30s (this was starting from around 30% charge, up to 70% or so). This was with no other cars sharing the charger, and I tried several different stalls too.

Unfortunately the lack of a battery heater seems to really hurt in that situation.

Reactions: Big Earl
Battery chills to the point of reducing regen so we notice it fairly quickly, but based on my observations I believe actually reaching ambient temp takes a longer than overnight.
It takes time for that much mass to cool.
I think warmup impressions are badly tainted by perception of batteries being cold when they are just partially chilled.

I went to supercharger for first tie today. M3 MR. Starting range was 144 mies. 44F outside. Initial charge was at 16KW (66mi/hr) and then it ramped to 21KW (86mi/hr). Stopped at 204mi (moved slider down to ~80% there - default seemed to be at 90%). It took a little over 30 mins to go from 144 - 204 miles (I didn't time it exactly). Lady in MR next to me was getting 33KW/hr - so maybe her battery was warmer ? (or LR battery charges faster ?).

I too am from the Toronto area and have seen the same. I went to a local supercharger (about 20 km away) when it was about +5C out and saw a charge rate of about 20kw. My SOC was 70%. I really didn't need the charge. I was waiting for the wife so I plugged in. I was shocked to see how slow it was. I even tried another charger and got the same.

On the next occasion, I drove from Toronto to Owen Sound. SOC was about 50%. I had just finished driving the car for 2 hours. The speed was fairly low. About 90kph. This time I saw 40-50kw. I was the only one at the 8 stall supercharger. The outside temperature was again about +5C from memory.

I was planning on taking a trip skiing to Mt St Anne. I am now reconsidering. I don't want to get stuck at a supercharger for 4 hours trying to get home. It might be OK. Possibly the charge rate will be higher with higher speeds and lower SOC. Temperatures in Quebec are often -35C at the end of January.

I went to supercharger for first tie today. M3 MR. Starting range was 144 mies. 44F outside. Initial charge was at 16KW (66mi/hr) and then it ramped to 21KW (86mi/hr). Stopped at 204mi (moved slider down to ~80% there - default seemed to be at 90%). It took a little over 30 mins to go from 144 - 204 miles (I didn't time it exactly). Lady in MR next to me was getting 33KW/hr - so maybe her battery was warmer ? (or LR battery charges faster ?).

Update - took it for "spirited drive" from San Jose to Santa Cruz and back over HWY 17 ... Range went from 195mi at start to 110 at end of drive (used 85 mi) for 79 mi on odometer. Charged back to 197 mi - charge started at 70KW/hr (290 mi /hr) and decreased to 42KW/hr ( 173mi/hr) after about 170 indicated range. (and closer to 35KW at end of charge). Ambient temp was 55F (so a bit warmer than this morning - but also heat in the battery from the drive - it would be nice to have a bat temp reading somewhere).

Drive notes - could pretty much humiliate anyone at the traffic light grand prix without even trying - OK sure if a Ferrari pulled alongside, they would be faster - but not without dropping the clutch and lots of drama to the redline. Handling over 17 was great - comparable to my Porsche - but less road feel through the steering (19" sport tires). Uphill was using approx 2X the indicated range (summit is around 2000ft) and downhill you capture a lot of that back. Instant torque between 30 and 70 mph is much better than the porsche - where you would have to downshift and keep the revs up to get similar performance. Yes, ultimately the 911 is faster - but the M3 (MR) is pretty darn quick for everyday driving .. very impressed - and I cannot even imaging what the performance version would be like :)

But for anyone wondering what the MR feels like to drive - I would say - you won't be disappointed - unless you plan to go to. the drag strip.

Reactions: DR61
I too am from the Toronto area and have seen the same. I went to a local supercharger (about 20 km away) when it was about +5C out and saw a charge rate of about 20kw. My SOC was 70%. I really didn't need the charge. I was waiting for the wife so I plugged in. I was shocked to see how slow it was. I even tried another charger and got the same.

On the next occasion, I drove from Toronto to Owen Sound. SOC was about 50%. I had just finished driving the car for 2 hours. The speed was fairly low. About 90kph. This time I saw 40-50kw. I was the only one at the 8 stall supercharger. The outside temperature was again about +5C from memory.

I was planning on taking a trip skiing to Mt St Anne. I am now reconsidering. I don't want to get stuck at a supercharger for 4 hours trying to get home. It might be OK. Possibly the charge rate will be higher with higher speeds and lower SOC. Temperatures in Quebec are often -35C at the end of January.

The charge speed taper on the LR starts at like 50%. I am guessing the MR would be similar (but charge rates will naturally be lower acros the entire curve due to the smaller battery).

I am guessing the slow speed was a combo of your battery being cold and your SOC being pretty high and you having a MR vs a LR.

I am pretty surprised at how here in Oregon where our temps don’t get that cold, I still have limited regen many mornings (parked outside). The M3 batteries seem very temp sensitive...

This is definitely a car designed for the California climate! Did a run to the airport and back (80km round trip) and then hit the same supercharger.

Big difference when the car is warm! I was the only one at the supercharger and it maxed out at 113kW (740 km/h)!
supercharging.jpg